PDA

View Full Version : New guy! Trying to Getting set up.

Pages : [1] 2

porudi
07-23-2015, 12:08 PM
I would like to get set up with the basics.

What I think I would need(?):
Car wash soap
A good brush for washing the car
All purpose cleaner for interiors
More aggressive cleaner for jams
Degreaser for bays
Aggressive degreaser for rims
Dual action polish
Polish for a wool pad
Finishing polish
Wax
Random orbit polisher
Glass cleaner
Micro fibers

What I have:
High speed polisher
Garage
Hose
A dirty car

I'm looking for recommendation on a good set up!

I have a big garage so I made this

It's on wheels and has a kickstand so I can move it around to where I'm working... Any thing you guys can come up with I would need on there?

Thanks!
-Sam

VISITOR
07-23-2015, 02:27 PM
Random orbit polisher

Griots Garage 6 Inch Random Orbital Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/new-griots-polisher.html)
http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/autogeek_2269_27859469

porudi
07-23-2015, 03:15 PM
Awesome! thank you!

Any recommendations on polish
I've used Meguiers dual action and polish but I don't know how it holds up to other stuff on the market

VISITOR
07-23-2015, 04:09 PM
there are many great choices out these days, and it comes down to personal preference. here's a chart...
http://i.imgur.com/w9h02xu.jpg

porudi
07-23-2015, 04:30 PM
Love the graph that helps understand what I'm looking at Is there a brand or a set of three you would recommend to start with? I don't think I have the time to test them all...

2JZ
07-23-2015, 10:33 PM
Love the graph that helps understand what I'm looking at Is there a brand or a set of three you would recommend to start with? I don't think I have the time to test them all...

IMO stick with menzerna fg400 & sf4000 or meguiars m105/205.

VISITOR
07-23-2015, 11:14 PM
great suggestions ^ and also HD Polish is another great option...

porudi
07-23-2015, 11:16 PM
I think I will get a set of each and try them on a few cars.

I am doing the recreationally for now but would like to be the go to guy in our group of car enthusiast as we lost our old detailer.

Again, I appreciate the recommendations I've learned a lot today haha!

Souldetailer
07-24-2015, 11:24 AM
IMO stick with menzerna fg400 & sf4000 or meguiars m105/205.

Agree on the GG6. Why, because I own one and I'm very pleased with it's power and especially it diversity. Many backing plates available makes this very easy to accomplish a lot of work with one machine. Let's throw in a lifetime garantee, that's a ringer there. I myself like the Menzerna products. The exact ones mentioned above is my goto duo. There are so many products you should try as many as you can. Try to get with someone local that has a boatload of product and is kind enough to let you try them. Good luck and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Ebg18t
07-24-2015, 11:49 AM
Sam - you might want to tell us what kind of cars you plan on working on? Tell us about your experience in polishing, correcting, etc.. What products do you have experience with, what did you like/dislike about those products? What services have you performed and what services do you plan on offering? Are you planning on having insurance?

Please don't take my next statement the wrong way! You are intending to be the 'go to guy' of your car club. But you are asking about a good brush for washing a car and all the basic stuff that I would 'think' the future go to guy would already know. I don't know of an enthusiast that uses a brush on their paint. Maybe coming here to compare thoughts on a product, I.E. you are working on a Lexus and FG400 with a flat orange isn't giving the cut you thought it might, come here asking how a flat orange compares to a tangerine hybrid w/ FG400 on Lexus paint.

Again as I said earlier please don't take my statement the wrong way, but I expected the future go-to guy to be looking for more advanced help. Maybe I interpreted your first post the wrong way.

Souldetailer
07-24-2015, 12:59 PM
Sam - you might want to tell us what kind of cars you plan on working on? Tell us about your experience in polishing, correcting, etc.. What products do you have experience with, what did you like/dislike about those products? What services have you performed and what services do you plan on offering? Are you planning on having insurance?

Please don't take my next statement the wrong way! You are intending to be the 'go to guy' of your car club. But you are asking about a good brush for washing a car and all the basic stuff that I would 'think' the future go to guy would already know. I don't know of an enthusiast that uses a brush on their paint. Maybe coming here to compare thoughts on a product, I.E. you are working on a Lexus and FG400 with a flat orange isn't giving the cut you thought it might, come here asking how a flat orange compares to a tangerine hybrid w/ FG400 on Lexus paint.

Again as I said earlier please don't take my statement the wrong way, but I expected the future go-to guy to be looking for more advanced help. Maybe I interpreted your first post the wrong way.

Well said, we all may be getting ahead of ourselves. Point well taken. We want to be thorough and correct. Thanks brother.

Peace,

Darrin

porudi
07-24-2015, 09:28 PM
Point taken Egb18t.Right now I am the most knowledgeable of the group, no one details... I am the guy who is trying haha!

I worked in a detail shop for about 9 months in between jobs and picked up a little know how. Ive used high speed polishers random orbital polishers I've also done a lot of scratch reduction (wet sanding) touch up paint and some minor blending. I never chose the product it was provided and got the job done. I am coming from a stand point of knowing how to get basic things done but knowing how to pick out the right product to apply to my project.

I will be working mainly on my 2 cars a silver 86 Porsche 944 (2 stage paint) and a 2000 Audi s4 in pearl white (3 stage?)

Sorry if I'm starting in the wrong page! Don't mean to be posting newby stuff in a more advanced forum. If I need to move this thread or if a moderator needs to just let me know not trying to clog up the threads.

I do appreciate the suggestions so far. I am very interested in getting knowledgeable about over all car care.

Ebg18t
07-25-2015, 06:56 AM
Sam - I am glad you didn't take my post the wrong way. Why don't we start with your cars. Post closeup pictures of your paint and let's discuss your paint and go from there. Post the good & bad of those cars.

Your in the right section, don't worry.

porudi
07-25-2015, 08:22 AM
I'll get some pictures up this afternoon! I've also been doing as much research as I can, reading other posts and just cruising the site reading about products. Do you guys belong to groups or clubs?

Mike@ShineStruck
07-25-2015, 01:26 PM
I chose 3D HD Adapt and CarPro Reflect as my duo

Dont have anything on the harsh side yet
may add FG400 to complete the lineup
also have wolfgang AIO that im happy with

3D Poxy for dedicated LSP