PDA

View Full Version : thinks about making the switch from Rupes to Flex

Matt@Revive
07-23-2015, 10:57 AM
i've been using my Rpues 15 for about a year now and i really enjoy it. my only issue is most of my work is heavy paint correction (average 20-30 hours on the paint alone) and i feel like the Rupes is falling short in its correction speed. i have a hand full of compounds and pads trying to find a combo that will speed up the process. i purchased a dewalt 849x about 6 months ago, but haven't had the time to get comfident enough to do majoy correction.

my question: is the correction speed of the Flex 3401 worth reinvesting the money for the polisher and pads? can the investment be made up in true time savings(hopefully inside of a year)?

RaskyR1
07-23-2015, 11:11 AM
You'd be better off doing the heavy cutting with the rotary and finishing with the Rupes if speed is what you're after.

Mask
07-23-2015, 11:22 AM
You'd be better off doing the heavy cutting with the rotary and finishing with the Rupes if speed is what you're after.

+1

Ccrew
07-23-2015, 11:32 AM

+2. Cut with the rotary and finish with the Rupes.

conman1395
07-23-2015, 11:34 AM
Maybe my post means nothing, as I have no experience with a rotary, however I wish I did.

It is a skill I wish I had the time and resources to master because I feel as if I could get jobs done faster if I knew how to use a rotary.

I've seen some people get really good, fast cutting with the 3401 and Tuff Buff wool pads, but learning how to use a rotary is so much more useful.

The more and more exotic cars I work on the more I wish I knew how to use one. To be able to follow fine lines and trim with a rotary is something I find myself wish I could do more often.

VISITOR
07-23-2015, 02:34 PM
the flex 3401 is like a hybrid of both the rotary and a DA but still with the safety margin. it's a beast and can handle quite a bit and not to mention it's a quality machine with excellent reliability. not to mention is there is ever a problem with it (or any flex tool) they have a repair facility here in the States in Omaha, NE...

FinishingTouchA
07-23-2015, 03:43 PM
I have a 2 year old Rupes 21 and it's still my machine of choice after having the 3401 for 3 months. Like everyone here has said if speed is your goal get a rotary. I got my rotary at the same time as my 3401 and 9 times out of 10 I grab the rotary for the heavy duty work. The learning curve really isn't bad as long as you're not an idiot.

Matt@Revive
07-23-2015, 03:55 PM
The learning curve really isn't bad as long as you're not an idiot.

i've been slowly using it, mostly on big flat panels(i stay away from edges for now). i've only managed to cut out light/moderate scratches, i then follow up with the rupes to cut it out the rest then polish.

Rsurfer
07-23-2015, 06:07 PM
i've been slowly using it, mostly on big flat panels(i stay away from edges for now). i've only managed to cut out light/moderate scratches, i then follow up with the rupes to cut it out the rest then polish.

Carry on my friend, your on the right path.:dblthumb2:

mbpress01
07-23-2015, 07:27 PM
Buy the Flex. I love it for the speed of correction from the forced rotation and can't take a risk on burning paint with a rotary. Worst case is you are out $400 and you can eBay for close to your purchase price. Given what you do, you should definitely have it in your arsenal.