PDA

View Full Version : Dust and black cars

Pages : [1] 2

Osamah
07-23-2015, 10:33 AM
Hi

I'm looking for some expert advise. I'm in the process of buying a black SUV (Ember Black actually) but I live in a region where fine dust is common. I have another car that is black and has no special treatment. So fine dust forms 30 min after washing it and it usually sticks to the body.

Based on this experience, I'm a bit on the reluctant with regards to the color. Having done some reading, I'm thinking that perhaps Cquartz Finest treatment will cause the dust to blow off as soon as I drive the car. Am I right in this assumption? Is there any advise that you can give? Or should I just opt for another color?

Thanks

Mask
07-23-2015, 11:24 AM
sonax polymer netshield :D

conman1395
07-23-2015, 11:29 AM
I'd honestly want another color for an SUV. All of the products that are antistatic do resuce the dust in my experience, but it's not like as soon as I drive it's dust free.

I think finding a professional to make your paint perfect and coat it in Finest is a great decision for anyone. There is less accumulated dust, but it's not a realistic expectation for the dust to just fly off.

Mask
07-23-2015, 11:36 AM
Go for silver and coat it with finest :)

Kamakaz1961
07-23-2015, 12:01 PM
Black IMO is the best color for a car. That being said, it also is the most difficult color to take care of. Just staring at your Black car after you've spent 3 hours detailing causes dust to accumulate.

White and silver or colors that "look" clean when dirty may be the color you want.

As for me, I can live with the dust and have the best looking color for a car or truck. Again, that's me.

If it were me just stick with the color that you want. If it is Black then get it! Either way enjoy!!

QuickCln
07-23-2015, 12:17 PM
No coating will prevent dust from accumulating, nor will it just cause dust to blow off. COatings DO help, but eventually, the coatings themselves become contaminated and will only be *slightly* cleaner than a non coated car. But there is a difference. I would go with a light colored car and get it coated.

In terms of dust, what you can do is buy a deionizer with a pressure washer. That way you can just knock off a bunch of loose dirt without having to do a proper wash\dry. Just spray and walk away. It will air dry spotfree.

Osamah
07-23-2015, 04:26 PM
This deionizer thing is so cool!! I'm adding it to the shopping list.

The other color I was looking at is Crystal White which I like but my wife prefers dark colors. So if I find a compromise, I can live with the darker color that I, also, like.

Just to be clearify my intent a bit better, I'm interested in the car looking clean 15ft away not so much 3 ft away. I can have the car hand washed once a week to get rid of the accumulated dust and maybe spray it with water mid week and drive off at 50 mph and let the hydrophobic properties of Cquartz Finest dispel the excess water

Is my thought process realistic or am I buying too much into the marketing material of this product?

Thanks for all the feedback

custmsprty
07-23-2015, 04:36 PM
I'd honestly want another color for an SUV. All of the products that are antistatic do resuce the dust in my experience, but it's not like as soon as I drive it's dust free.

I think finding a professional to make your paint perfect and coat it in Finest is a great decision for anyone. There is less accumulated dust, but it's not a realistic expectation for the dust to just fly off.

Black IMO is the best color for a car. That being said, it also is the most difficult color to take care of. Just staring at your Black car after you've spent 3 hours detailing causes dust to accumulate.

White and silver or colors that "look" clean when dirty may be the color you want.

As for me, I can live with the dust and have the best looking color for a car or truck. Again, that's me.

If it were me just stick with the color that you want. If it is Black then get it! Either way enjoy!!

Hi

I'm looking for some expert advise. I'm in the process of buying a black SUV (Ember Black actually) but I live in a region where fine dust is common. I have another car that is black and has no special treatment. So fine dust forms 30 min after washing it and it usually sticks to the body.

Based on this experience, I'm a bit on the reluctant with regards to the color. Having done some reading, I'm thinking that perhaps Cquartz Finest treatment will cause the dust to blow off as soon as I drive the car. Am I right in this assumption? Is there any advise that you can give? Or should I just opt for another color?

Thanks

^^^^:iagree:^^^^

My garage queen is black (it gets dusty sitting in the garage), my daily driver is white, that pretty much says it all. :buffing:

You can make white look really nice too.

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/NissanRogueSL1_zpslihnpfft.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/NissanRogueSL1_zpslihnpfft.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/WGFUSION2_zpsd7zkahaq.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/WGFUSION2_zpsd7zkahaq.jpg.html)

http://i1075.photobucket.com/albums/w421/custmsprty/WGFUSION1_zpssidwwdsx.jpg (http://s1075.photobucket.com/user/custmsprty/media/WGFUSION1_zpssidwwdsx.jpg.html)

aim4squirrels
07-23-2015, 04:51 PM
Get the color you want, coat it, hand wash it weekly.

Keep it in the garage if you can, morning dew can cause the dust to stick and look dirty.

If it's coated, freshly accumulated dust can be blown off the car with a leaf blower or dedicated car blower. It won't be 100% clean, but it'll be better. Under no circumstances should you try to brush the dirt off dry. Touching is a big no-no with black. I'll hit it with a pressure washer rinse and do a rinseless wash on occasion if the dust is light and I want it 100% clean. You have to minimize the dirt as much as possible before touching the paint to wash on black.

I've got black. Nothing looks better than black when it's clean, so I keep it that way.

2black1s
07-23-2015, 05:36 PM
I have a black truck and I spend at least 30-45 minutes cleaning it every single day that it gets driven. My usual process is a quick once over with a California Duster followed by a wipe-down with a quick detailer.

Then, periodically (or after driving in the rain) I'll give it a real wash followed with a spray wax.

doc540
07-23-2015, 05:40 PM
black BMW 5 series

California duster

liquid detail spray like Speed Shine, etc

4-5 minutes total

nearly every evening when wifey gets home from work

aim4squirrels
07-23-2015, 05:55 PM
I have a black truck and I spend at least 30-45 minutes cleaning it every single day that it gets driven. My usual process is a quick once over with a California Duster followed by a wipe-down with a quick detailer.

Then, periodically (or after driving in the rain) I'll give it a real wash followed with a spray wax.

black BMW 5 series

California duster

liquid detail spray like Speed Shine, etc

4-5 minutes total

nearly every evening when wifey gets home from work

You both are way more brave than I. I cannot bring myself to believe in the California duster. There's just something about it that goes against my instincts on best practices for paint care. Running anything dry over the paint sends chills up my spine, especially something that gets dirtier with every use.

I know some here swear there is no problem with them, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

2black1s
07-23-2015, 06:09 PM
You both are way more brave than I. I cannot bring myself to believe in the California duster. There's just something about it that goes against my instincts on best practices for paint care. Running anything dry over the paint sends chills up my spine, especially something that gets dirtier with every use.

I know some here swear there is no problem with them, but I just can't bring myself to do it.

... And my thought process was exactly as yours is... That is until I tried the California Duster.

I actually believe, and have the experience to back this up, that the duster followed by a quick detailer is safer for your paint than the quick detailer on it's own.

Although I don't know how doc540 does his car in 4-5 minutes. Like I said, I spend 30-45 minutes on mine.

QuickCln
07-23-2015, 06:48 PM
I own a black benz as a dd, and the art here is to get the car looking +75% or so clean with the least amount of effort as possible. That's if you are a regular guy.

If detailing is your hobby, then sure, you can dust it off everyday or so, but I am too lazy for that. Plus you could scratch your car doing that.

Dust will not blow off of your car with air alone (even if its coated). Dont be tricked by all these videos online, yes if your car is coated it will repell all kinds of stuff very well for the first few months, but over time it wears off. It will always be much more easier to clean than a non coated car, but it won't always repel water the way you see in the videos. As soon as your car gets just a little bit dirty the hydrophobic properties diminish and the coating becomes contaminated. You will have to dissolve the embedded conatminants with TRIX IRONX and/or CARPRO RESET. Do not clay a coated car, it will mar badly.

just use a spotfree DI rinse to dissolve the dust\clean the car whenever it gets too dusty. You don't have to blow the car dry either, dont kill yourself driving fast trying to shed water LOL. just let the sun air dry your car... you will be amazed.

I typically spend about 8 min to foam cannon my car, then rinse off, and DI rinse for spotfree whenever my car gets too dirty. Everyother week I do a hand wash. Very convenient and easy. This works best if your car is coated with opticoat or something.

Judging from how dusty it is where you live, it is likely that you have high ppm tap water, which means Dionizing resin will be consumed quickly, keep that in mind because it isn't cheap. I think it costs me about $1.50 or so per spotfree rinse.

FUNX650
07-23-2015, 07:36 PM
@QuickCln...

JMO:
You were doing fine and dandy until you said this:

I typically spend about 8 min to foam cannon my car

:smh:

Bob