PDA

View Full Version : D120 Glass Cleaner Problems

Pages : [1] 2 3

AustrianOak82
07-22-2015, 09:29 PM
I have been using D120 diluted at the listed amount for a while now. I was talking to one of my old customer today and he mentioned that after I did his car, there was a sticky film on the windshield that was very difficult to remove. I also spoke with my parents the other day and they mentioned the same thing. My dad said that since I did his truck, the water doesn't bead off at all, it just sticks to the windshield in one giant sheet of water. Apparently my mom's car did this too. I went for a drive in it and he is right, it's nearly impossible to see. There is no water leaving the windshield, it just sticks there.

Anyone heard of this? It just seems like too many instances of the same problem. Confusing to me, because I am diluting it correctly. I can't see how I could possibly mess it up several times in a row. The problems are spaced apart far enough that I would have made additional batches in the meantime. I did a car tonight and had the same sticky feeling on the windows. It was very hard to wipe off.

I am using the GG glass wipes. One to clean and a separate one to buff off. What is going on here?

conquistador
07-22-2015, 09:32 PM
What's your dilution ratio? Are you using distilled water?

AustrianOak82
07-22-2015, 09:39 PM
What's your dilution ratio? Are you using distilled water?

10:1 I believe. Not using distilled water.

Setec Astronomy
07-22-2015, 10:27 PM
I would say you just got the windows clean. If you want them to bead water then use a glass sealant, or any sealant really.

expdetailing
07-22-2015, 11:23 PM
Maybe you could perform a test on a vehicle where you clean one-half with Meg's and the other half with a well-known performer. Possibly, you might find some interesting results.

asianisafish
07-22-2015, 11:24 PM
Are you diluting properly? Was the bottle or spray contaminated with other chemicals?

I don't really use a glass cleaner as glass should be cleaned from the car wash. But if I do use a glass cleaner, it's usually rainx with the rain repellant. Otherwise your basically just buying water and alcohol

expdetailing
07-22-2015, 11:31 PM
Although it's not the most economical in large volumes, Sonus' glass cleaner is second to none. It's the best, by far, that I've tried, imo. It's more than just water and alcohol and fragrance. I highly recommend it to anyone.

AustrianOak82
07-23-2015, 06:52 PM
I would say you just got the windows clean. If you want them to bead water then use a glass sealant, or any sealant really.
Not looking to bead water or anything, I just want to figure out why they are getting so sticky and filmy. My dad's windshield was a solid sheet of water to the point where it was dangerous.

Are you diluting properly? Was the bottle or spray contaminated with other chemicals?

I don't really use a glass cleaner as glass should be cleaned from the car wash. But if I do use a glass cleaner, it's usually rainx with the rain repellant. Otherwise your basically just buying water and alcohol
Yes. I dumped it today and refilled it with 10 to 1. Same thing. The cloth is barely moving on the glass and the glass is sticky afterwards with a film. I have no idea what's going on.

RedXray
07-23-2015, 07:06 PM
I've used about half of my gallon (that's a lot of product) without any issues. I'd say my gallon is almost two years old sitting on the shelf. I'd sure 86 that gallon of yours and try something else tho. Windows have to be perfect or close to... IMO

Maybe yours actually did turn into grape soda :D J/K

FUNX650
07-23-2015, 08:01 PM
I've never had D120 act so strangely on
auto-glass...It's just a formulation of:
Water, IPA, and 2-Butoxyethanol. :dunno:

:idea:
•Start over by first cleaning the glass
with something like Meguiar's M04.
•Then apply D120 to a "Test Spot";
•After an assessment:
-continue with D120; or:
-use a different glass cleaner.

Bob

Bunky
07-24-2015, 04:55 PM
I would also recommend a different glass cleaner plus consider using a towel with some bite (terry cloth) to try to break the stuff loose after letting it dwell.

Natron
07-24-2015, 10:10 PM
Interesting. We have used over 10 gallons of it in the last year with no issues. I may need to investigate Monday to make sure there are no issues. I assume you've ruled out contamination?

DetailedByPrecision
07-25-2015, 01:33 AM
IME, the type of towels you use is more important than the brand of glass cleaner you use. I prefer using waffle weave style towels instead of mf towels for windows.

Wors
07-25-2015, 05:58 AM
10:1 I believe. Not using distilled water.

I will ask the obvious. Is your 10:1 dilution ratio product:water?

Setec Astronomy
07-25-2015, 08:26 AM
•Start over by first cleaning the glass
with something like Meguiar's M04.

I would also recommend a different glass cleaner plus consider using a towel with some bite (terry cloth) to try to break the stuff loose after letting it dwell.

Boy, I'm leery of wading into this any more, but it seems to me one of three things is happening---as has already been suggested I think by myself and others.

1. You have just gotten the glass "squeaky clean"

2. You are using some sort of wash product or other detailing product that has left a film on the windows

3. There is some sort of environmental film on the windows which needs to be removed. Do you clay the glass or polish it as FUNX suggested? I'm not sure I would use M04 for that, and there are dedicated glass polishes, but any medium or even aggressive paint polish will work, plus something like KAIO works well (DG 501 would seem another good choice). Just be careful if the windshield has a lot of pits, if the polish dries in there it may be difficult to get out.