PDA

View Full Version : any AZ locals feel like giving a rotary crash course?

Matt@Revive
07-22-2015, 10:39 AM
i've had a rotary polisher sitting around for a few months and picked it up a few times, but don't have the confidence with it to use it on customer cars. are there any AZ locals that feel like giving a crash course in rotary compounding? i will supply all of my own materials and tools, i am just looking for a few pointer to help get me started in the right direction.

2black1s
07-22-2015, 11:04 AM
I can't help you with a demonstration or instruction but I can give you what I believe is the number one tip based on my experience.

Here you go... Be cautious near edges/body lines. When buffing up to an edge or body line, tilt the pad ever so slightly so the pad is rotating off the edge. Allowing the pad to rotate "into" an edge is a recipe for disaster as it will tend to grab the edge and can wear/burn through in a heartbeat.

RPM_BR
07-22-2015, 04:16 PM
Start working at low RPMs range, 600, with medium cut compounds, like M205 or Menz 2500, and medium density pads. Since it cuts more than DAs, be on the safe side. Move faster than you would with DA. Watch out for corners and panel intersections, use more tape than you would with a DA. Use the weight of the machine, don't press it. Do less passes, like four, instead of 6, and see the results. As you grow confident, you start to use harder pads, fast cut compounds and apply more pressure.
I seldom go over 1000 RPMs, usually I work 2 passes at 600, go up the 3rd and 4th to 900, 1000 or even 1100, and the back to 600 RPMs the last two passes.
The polishing film in the panel tells you a lot about what is happening below. It has to be a nice, even film, and not like an orange peel film.
Instead of putting drops, I apply a thin circular line in the middle of the pad, since the centrifugal (or centripetal, I don't remember :)) tends to push the product towards the end of the pad.
If you search for Mike's posts, there are a lot of info there, he is the master of the rotary, see his old makita, he used it so much that the end grip was 'polished' by his hand. I learned a lot there, lots of tips, go for it. I hope it helps a bit, and best regards.