PDA

View Full Version : Anyone used Diamondite to polish a windshield?

LazerRed1
09-12-2007, 10:55 AM
My windshield looks like it has been in a sand storm. Only noticeable if you are driving into the sun. I have cleaned it and it isn't dirt, over spray etc. Wondering if Diamondite would polish this out and how difficult it would be for the inexperienced. Hate to make it worse.

blackonblack04gto
09-12-2007, 11:12 AM
I would try a clay bar on the windshield to see if that will remove the imbedded contaminates. I don't know how good the plastic cleaner would do on a windshield, I've never tried it.

LazerRed1
09-12-2007, 11:14 AM
I would try a clay bar on the windshield to see if that will remove the imbedded contaminates. I don't know how good the plastic cleaner would do on a windshield, I've never tried it.

I think it is more like etched or pitted. Used a razor blade to clean it and nothing really on the surface of the glass.

blackonblack04gto
09-12-2007, 11:25 AM
Hmmm, I don't have any other suggestions. It's not chips in the glass? More like the glass is pitting?

LazerRed1
09-12-2007, 11:31 AM
Hmmm, I don't have any other suggestions. It's not chips in the glass? More like the glass is pitting?

I guess technically a pit is a very small chip. Watched the Diamondite video and it mentioned contaminate etching. Might be it, I just don't know what caused the problem.

Thejoyofdriving
09-12-2007, 09:44 PM
My windshield looks like it has been in a sand storm. Only noticeable if you are driving into the sun. I have cleaned it and it isn't dirt, over spray etc. Wondering if Diamondite would polish this out and how difficult it would be for the inexperienced. Hate to make it worse.

Ive used their glass resurfacing creme, i hate it. It seems pretty crazy to me to work in a polish for 2 min while working in a 6x6inch spot, imagine how long it would take to do the whole windshield, unreasonable. Other polishes that are not specifically designed for glass will do nada, glass is really really really hard, plastic/paint polishes wont do a thing.

LazerRed1
09-13-2007, 08:28 AM
I checked with a local glass company and the time factor was mentioned. They also indicated the glass wouldn't be as clear. I imagine that's the reason for the sealant in the kit. I feel pretty sure it would appear distorted after that.

Al-53
09-13-2007, 08:39 AM
Its very hard to removed the sand pitting in glass....I even tried a cerium polish to get rid of them...the best I could do was round the edges off so it was not that noticeable when the sun came thru the windshield...but removing them is near impossible with a polish....I asked glass companies and they told me live with it not much you can do....until it gets bad and obstructs your view and have it replaced under insurance.....

AL

LazerRed1
09-13-2007, 08:42 AM
Thanks. That's kinda the opinion I have.

By the way, I tried the DG Marine QD. Good stuff. Used it on my 62 Vette that has no LSP on it at all. Looks very good.

Thejoyofdriving
09-13-2007, 06:53 PM
I checked with a local glass company and the time factor was mentioned. They also indicated the glass wouldn't be as clear. I imagine that's the reason for the sealant in the kit. I feel pretty sure it would appear distorted after that.

I did not notice my glass being distorted at all.

CAR-GEEK
07-27-2009, 08:06 AM
Griots Glass Cleaning / Polishing Pads and their Glass Polish will help. It will take somewhere between a half hour and an hour to do the job correctly with an orbital and Griot's 3 " Glass Pads and backing plate. You can achieve amazing results if you are methodical and patient in your approach.

DLB
07-27-2009, 12:09 PM
I have scientifically derived a formula...

Time+Materials = How Much?

New Windshield Installed = How Much?

:D All tongue in cheek.

Seriously though, if it were bad enough, mobile windshield installation's price has dropped considerably in recent years.

DLB