PDA

View Full Version : Nanoskin Wash Mitt Findings...?

Pages : [1] 2

1EdgeKilla
07-21-2015, 10:29 AM
So, after much debate on traditional clay vs nano... this past week I picked up a fine grade nanoskin wash mitt to do what would be my first "claying" on my new (to me) car. Its a White 2014 Chevy Cruze with approx. 35,000 miles. This is the first time to my knowledge that the car has ever been clayed. I could tell the paint was very contaminated as performing the baggy test made my paint feel like sandpaper. Last night after a complete two bucket wash using Meguiars Gold Class, which I've been doing weekly since I got the car... I decided to go on and test out the nanoskin.

I was under the assumption you could use just traditional wash soap as lubricant after reading that quite a few people had done this. That said, I mixed a fresh bucket of Meguiars Gold Class and water. I started on the windows to break in the mitt as the directions said. Did all my windows and eventually went on to the paint.

Now, what I first noticed was the orange/yellow metal/iron particles that were imbedded in the clear weren't coming off hardly at all and I was really having to push and scrub to get them to even begin to disappear. Some wouldn't at all but I was running out of daylight so I moved on. After going over the whole car once, I did a good overall rinse/dry. Now was the moment of truth, I put the baggy back on my hand.. proceeded to first check the windows... felt like I hadn't even touched them. Thought to myself, maybe they're just that bad. So I proceeded to do a small swipe on the hood and roof and what do you know.. same thing. It felt like I hadn't even done a thing. Frustrated after having spent almost an hour running the nanoskin over the entire car after already spending a good two hours washing... I was at a loss for words.

I went inside, thought about it for a while and got the thinking that maybe the soap was just TOO thick of a substance and/or slippery to allow the mitt to do its job? To test my theory, I rinsed my nanoskin mitt well and put some Chemical Guys Clay Luber I have into a spray bottle. I went outside and attempted to try again on my truck lid. I spritzed both the truck lid and my pad, proceeded to do quite a few passes, then wiped/buffed off the remaining lube. I then tried the baggy test again, this time boom. Much better and I actually saw results. Proceeded to do my windshield and same thing.

My findings is that although its classified as a wash mitt, car wash soap doesn't work as a lubricant or at least Gold Class did not work for me.

Sorry for the super long story, but has anyone else had this issue or able to explain it?

Appreciate the feedback!

Chris

Jaretr1
07-21-2015, 11:26 AM
It has been my experience that those metallic particles will not come off from claying or clay substitute. Additionally, you should never have to use excessive pressure when using a clay type product.

To remove those metallic iron particles, you need a product like IronX. That will easily and safely dissolve and remove those iron particles.

All cars accumulate those, depending on the environment the car is in, just happens to be totally visible on a white car.

1EdgeKilla
07-21-2015, 12:05 PM
It has been my experience that those metallic particles will not come off from claying or clay substitute. Additionally, you should never have to use excessive pressure when using a clay type product.

To remove those metallic iron particles, you need a product like IronX. That will easily and safely dissolve and remove those iron particles.

All cars accumulate those, depending on the environment the car is in, just happens to be totally visible on a white car.

Hmm ok... I did notice in the spots where I applied firm pressure seemed to be smoother with the baggy test. At some points though I left a black streak from the mitt that I couldn't get off without using a little wax and grease remover on a soft rag. I knew from that I was pressing too hard and/or didn't have enough lubrication.

Souldetailer
07-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Hey Edge,

I have used my Nanoskin towel 4 times now on 3 vehicles. Mine twice my wife's and my bosses Boxster. I have had very good results on all occasions. My lube was DD born slippery. First I hit it with the foam gun, rinse, next a decon, Ironx, Sonax, etc... I do a quick rinse, then plenty of lube, I want to stress plenty. The towel just glides over the slippery surface. Clean the the towel at least 8 times per vehicle. I feel with my slippery clean hand to ensure equal coverage. Once I'm satisfied, it's one last good wash, then onto business. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

1EdgeKilla
07-21-2015, 12:54 PM
Hey Edge,

I have used my Nanoskin towel 4 times now on 3 vehicles. Mine twice my wife's and my bosses Boxster. I have had very good results on all occasions. My lube was DD born slippery. First I hit it with the foam gun, rinse, next a decon, Ironx, Sonax, etc... I do a quick rinse, then plenty of lube, I want to stress plenty. The towel just glides over the slippery surface. Clean the the towel at least 8 times per vehicle. I feel with my slippery clean hand to ensure equal coverage. Once I'm satisfied, it's one last good wash, then onto business. Good luck.

Peace,

Darrin

Darrin,

Thanks for the reply.. def. gonna finish the car tonight using lube and do so generously. By chance, have you had any issues with marring from your towels?

Chris

Souldetailer
07-21-2015, 01:39 PM
Darrin,

Thanks for the reply.. def. gonna finish the car tonight using lube and do so generously. By chance, have you had any issues with marring from your towels?

Chris

Yep, first time I used it, I was flying along and hit a spot without enough lube, left little bit of the Nanoskin clay surface on the hood. Man I was pissed, but it was my own fault. I use LOTS OF lube now. See with the ease of this new invention you can do an excellent job of decontaminating. Just use, once again, a lot of lube and be thorough. Use your non claying hand to glide along the surface and check you results. IMHO I truly believe that if used properly, the Nanoskin products will nor mar you paint. Good luck, Chris

Peace,

Darrin

1EdgeKilla
07-21-2015, 01:47 PM
Yep, first time I used it, I was flying along and hit a spot without enough lube, left little bit of the Nanoskin clay surface on the hood. Man I was pissed, but it was my own fault. I use LOTS OF lube now. See with the ease of this new invention you can do an excellent job of decontaminating. Just use, once again, a lot of lube and be thorough. Use your non claying hand to glide along the surface and check you results. IMHO I truly believe that if used properly, the Nanoskin products will nor mar you paint. Good luck, Chris

Peace,

Darrin

Good to know. I've read quite a few articles now on them marring with lack of sufficient lube. Had the same exact thing happen last night twice with the black marks tho ha. They scared me at first and I originally couldn't get them off. Tiny bit of wax/grease remover did the trick however.

Thanks again!

Souldetailer
07-21-2015, 02:00 PM
Good to know. I've read quite a few articles now on them marring with lack of sufficient lube. Had the same exact thing happen last night twice with the black marks tho ha. They scared me at first and I originally couldn't get them off. Tiny bit of wax/grease remover did the trick however.

Thanks again!

Yeah, no fun dealing with the skid marks. You should be good to go now. Take care.

Peace,

Darrin

cleanfreak3
07-21-2015, 03:35 PM
How you guys store your nanoskin wash mitt after using? Also, how long will the mitt last?

Souldetailer
07-21-2015, 03:49 PM
I hope it lasts a while. After I thorghly wash mine I let it dry Nanoskin side up. Takes a day. For storage I fold it foursquare, Nanoskin out and store it a large sandwich bag. No problems so far.

Peace,

Darrin

1EdgeKilla
07-21-2015, 03:54 PM
How you guys store your nanoskin wash mitt after using? Also, how long will the mitt last?

The longevity of these things is going to depend on the user I think... factor in the severity of you're paint, the amount of lube you use as friction is whats going to wear this thing out, catching edges, etc. I almost snagged and ripped the rubber coating last night on my first use... so its hard to say.

As for storing it, obviously it needs to dry... I squeezed it out a few times then just slipped it right down over the spray bottle I have my lube in which opens it up to dry inside and keeps me from having to sit it on a shelf or in a drawer taking up unnecessary space.:props:

RegalOne
07-21-2015, 06:53 PM
I have the fine mitt and both a fine and medium sponge. After breaking them in on the windows, as described in the instructions, I have used it on 3 different GM cars including a 2014 Silver Cruze.

Like others here are the steps I used:
1. Wash Car - 2BM
2. Iron-X or Sonax Fallout
3. Use the Nanoskin - I have used Pinnacle clay lubricant, Nanoskin Glide, Nanoskin Bubble Bath (not all at the same time, pick one)
4. Then depending on the car compound/polish/LSP

I don't use much pressure at all and as Darrin stated I rinse the mitt or sponge frequently. I also use plenty of lubricant, one of the above. I have always had good results and it has passed the baggy test with no marring.

As for storage:
1. Rinse out thoroughly
2. Lightly squeeze it out
3. Let it air dry nano side up
4. Store in a zip top bag

I have had my mitt and sponges since Spring and have used them 1/2 dozen times and they show no wear. Again as others have stated I think it will depend on how contaminated the vehicle is and how often you use them. I don't do this for a living and are not using them everyday.

I hope this helps

OCD Detailing
07-22-2015, 08:47 AM
I agree. We actually just did a 52 Chevy Sunday. Was painted about 6 months ago and this was the first wax. It had those little rust particles everywhere. We tried every clay we had (about 5 different types) as well as the Nano towels and it wouldn't get them all. I ended up using XMT 360 and a yellow Rupes pad and it still didn't get everything.

One thing I realized about the Nano towels is they seem to do a better job as they get used more. We have 2 Blue and 1 Yellow towel and have been using them for a year so far and they seem to have gotten better over the last 6 months.

But the fact is, there isn't one tool for every job.

1EdgeKilla
07-22-2015, 11:17 AM
I agree. We actually just did a 52 Chevy Sunday. Was painted about 6 months ago and this was the first wax. It had those little rust particles everywhere. We tried every clay we had (about 5 different types) as well as the Nano towels and it wouldn't get them all. I ended up using XMT 360 and a yellow Rupes pad and it still didn't get everything.

One thing I realized about the Nano towels is they seem to do a better job as they get used more. We have 2 Blue and 1 Yellow towel and have been using them for a year so far and they seem to have gotten better over the last 6 months.

But the fact is, there isn't one tool for every job.

Apparently Iron-X is the answer to these rust particles embedded in the paint...

Im going to be ordering some here soon to give a try on the remaining ones I wasn't able to get off with the nanoskin as my cars white and its very easy to see them.

Hopefully it works...

kecko
07-22-2015, 11:39 AM

Peace,

Darrin

I did the same thing along my wife's hood. Was moving right along and came to a screeching halt. NOT ENOUGH LUBE! At first I thought I scratched through the clear but later realized it was just the mitt that transferred over to the hood. It was a pain to get off too.

USE LOTS OF LUBE.