PDA

View Full Version : Seeking process for 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe

Cayman
07-21-2015, 07:49 AM
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a black 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe. I would like some opinions from you all on a process that will help achieve the results that I am looking for. I am currently looking at using the HD line, as it appears to be a great product at a great price point.

The car has some slight swirls and marring which I would like to remove. Only 700 miles on the car but this is from the dealer and their terrific hand washes. I also want to put a good protective coating on it which beads well and makes washing easier, because drying a car that isn't protected sucks. :)

I have corrected paint several years back on my other black cars, but there are so many new products out there that I want to try something new and take advantage of the new technologies that are available. I currently have a porter cable machine and I used Mezerna SIP and IP as well. It appears the naming has changed, but that ok... just wanting to share a little about my experience. I also used the LC CCS pads previously.

My plan consists of starting with a washing and claying. I see many posts about Iron X but not familiar with it too much. As far as what HD product and what order and what pad to use, that is where I would like some help. I am not sure if Speed will be enough or would I want to start off with Polish or Cut. There are just so many products out there, that I easily get confused on what is really needed. It seems they all have some overlap in application as well.

I appreciate any help that you all can provide. Also, I am not apposed to another brand or product line that may fit my needs better. I am totally open-minded and looking to you experts for advice.

Thank you in advance!!

Cayman
07-21-2015, 07:56 AM
Here are a couple of pictures of the cat from this weekend. As you can see, there are some slightly swirls and marring on the drive rear fender/pillar.

LSNAutoDetailing
07-21-2015, 08:58 AM
Hello everyone. I recently purchased a black 2015 Cadillac ATS Coupe. I would like some opinions from you all on a process that will help achieve the results that I am looking for. I am currently looking at using the HD line, as it appears to be a great product at a great price point.

The car has some slight swirls and marring which I would like to remove. Only 700 miles on the car but this is from the dealer and their terrific hand washes. I also want to put a good protective coating on it which beads well and makes washing easier, because drying a car that isn't protected sucks. :)

I have corrected paint several years back on my other black cars, but there are so many new products out there that I want to try something new and take advantage of the new technologies that are available. I currently have a porter cable machine and I used Mezerna SIP and IP as well. It appears the naming has changed, but that ok... just wanting to share a little about my experience. I also used the LC CCS pads previously.

My plan consists of starting with a washing and claying. I see many posts about Iron X but not familiar with it too much. As far as what HD product and what order and what pad to use, that is where I would like some help. I am not sure if Speed will be enough or would I want to start off with Polish or Cut. There are just so many products out there, that I easily get confused on what is really needed. It seems they all have some overlap in application as well.

I appreciate any help that you all can provide. Also, I am not apposed to another brand or product line that may fit my needs better. I am totally open-minded and looking to you experts for advice.

Thank you in advance!!

You are on the right track. HD Speed would be my first choice. As always, tape off a section, test on your test spot on the worst swirled/scratched section with the least aggressive product. Make it 16"x16", and view the results. If you like the results, you be assured the rest of your work won't be in vain. HD Speed a less aggressive product but the results are huge. It's an AOI and the sealant is very good. If you wanted to top off with an LSP, many will chime in with suggestions.

Iron-X removes rail and iron contamination, great for white or light colored cars. Honestly, if it's black, I would skip the step.... Others may agree or disagree.

Here is the Caddy I recently did:

I used LC CSC Orange pad on a test spot with HD Speed, if good... move on. In this case, the car had some very bad scratches on the left fender, left door and left rear door and rear quarter panel. I first did a test spot on the worst section with Menzerna FG400 and an LC CSC Orange. I got good results and went on to do the other effected body panels. Then I went over with White LC CSC and Menzerna 4500 (fender only). I opted to just go over everything with HD Speed and a fresh LC Orange CSC pad... The results were stunning. It came out beyond my expectations and the owners.. (given the scratches...) and no LSP was required. If I did, it would either by Pinnacle Crystal Mist wipe-down (QD) or a blue LC CSC and Pinnacle Liquid or Paste Souveran.... But we didn't and the owner was stunned with the results.

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/Mustang030308/Mobile%20Uploads/caddy%20XTS/3505071F-F0E5-432B-A9AE-8F286598498B_zpsbuatd9i7.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Mustang030308/media/Mobile%20Uploads/caddy%20XTS/3505071F-F0E5-432B-A9AE-8F286598498B_zpsbuatd9i7.jpg.html)

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j5/Mustang030308/Mobile%20Uploads/caddy%20XTS/8A0748F9-FF70-48C4-B22F-AC10CFE95F4A_zpsh4ufwbxk.jpg (http://s76.photobucket.com/user/Mustang030308/media/Mobile%20Uploads/caddy%20XTS/8A0748F9-FF70-48C4-B22F-AC10CFE95F4A_zpsh4ufwbxk.jpg.html)

Cayman
07-21-2015, 12:37 PM
Thanks for the input Paul. Did you mean CCS pad? If not, what is a LC CSC pad?

If the Speed finishes this good, that may be the route I take. I was just wanting something on hand that had more cutting power, just in case I needed it. I would hate to take the effort to prep the car and not having everything I need.

I assume on the Caddy, you washed and clayed it before hand? Looks great!

LSNAutoDetailing
07-21-2015, 07:39 PM
Thanks for the input Paul. Did you mean CCS pad? If not, what is a LC CSC pad?

If the Speed finishes this good, that may be the route I take. I was just wanting something on hand that had more cutting power, just in case I needed it. I would hate to take the effort to prep the car and not having everything I need.

I assume on the Caddy, you washed and clayed it before hand? Looks great!

Sorry, yes, a bit dyslexic when I type... I meant CCS pads.
Just make sure you do a test spot, then all your prep wont be be for not.

Cayman
07-22-2015, 05:56 AM
So an Orange pad will leave a final finish even though it has some cut to it? I always thought you would want to finish with a white or red.

Anyone have some suggestions on a LSP for Speed? Poxy possibly?

LSNAutoDetailing
07-22-2015, 06:21 AM
Yes Since speed is an (light compound - #2, Polish & Sealant) AIO I use orange pad.

If Were going to use an LSP, it would either by Pinnacle Crystal Mist wipe-down (QD) with gold plush MF Towel or a BLUE LC CSC and Pinnacle Liquid or Paste Souveran. Choice is yours of the many available.

You might find that you don't need too.