PDA

View Full Version : Headlight Restorations: Best Product & Warranties?

Detailed Josh
07-20-2015, 09:10 PM
Seeing what is the latest and best "permanent" product for headlight restorations? I've used Opti-Lens (10ml syringe tube) on several vehicles with great success with only car's headlights I did turning yellow in less than a year. I suspect it was something that was my fault in either the prep or application. The other vehicles I did are still holding up great 2+ years later.

So is Opti-Lens still the best product out there?

Anyone give warranties? I know it's like saying how long will a pair of jeans last, but I know people are going to ask.

VP Mark
07-21-2015, 01:33 PM
I use Opti-Lens, I guarantee the work for up to a year. Doesn't seem to really be anything better out there at the moment.

Detailed Josh
07-21-2015, 08:12 PM
I use Opti-Lens, I guarantee the work for up to a year. Doesn't seem to really be anything better out there at the moment.

Do you ever have anyone scoff at only a 1 year warranty? Mind me asking your price range?

Yeah short of doing automotive grade clear coat that's what I thought was Opti-Lens, but wanted to make sure.

daimler
07-21-2015, 09:11 PM
Here in my place, most clients want to have the best but don't want to pay for it. So instead of using permanent coatings, I resorted to just spraying two to three layers of clear coat paints (worth ~$2 per can) once the headlights has been restored to almost-new look. So far, my clients seem to like it. And I can see that the clear coats are holding up, so far.

98LowRanger
07-25-2015, 10:16 AM
Here in my place, most clients want to have the best but don't want to pay for it. So instead of using permanent coatings, I resorted to just spraying two to three layers of clear coat paints (worth ~$2 per can) once the headlights has been restored to almost-new look. So far, my clients seem to like it. And I can see that the clear coats are holding up, so far.

If you don't mind me asking, what type of clear are you using? Automotive clear coat or just an aerosol clear coat that you can find in any store?

DeepReflections
08-02-2015, 12:55 AM
Let There Be Light (http://www.ltbl.biz/) I have not found anything better than this product. A touch tricky to use, but well worth it. I will put a 5 year guarantee on headlights restored with this product.
I also use Zaino's Clear Seal and will do a 1 year guarantee with it. So far no one has returned for premature headlight fogging.
For both products we remove the bad coating, otherwise you are just putting something over a deteriorating clear coat and it will not last.

jrs1418
08-02-2015, 01:07 PM
I used Olens for quite a while, and hundreds of headlights. Here in HI, it just doesn't last more than 3 mos before it starts yellowing. Ive been on the hunt for "the Best" and haven't found it yet. Our UV index is the highest in the US here year round. I recently purchased a never before heard of headlight coating from a company in Malaysia, which has a similar UV index to Hawaii. So far i'm liking it, but it's only been a month.

It seems as though it's not actually about the durability of the product ittself, more so the amount of UV blockers is in that thin layer of coating and how long they last. I usually apply a small amount of the coating on something other than the headlights, but near them like on the bumper or fender so I can see if the coating is still there, and every time I see yellowed headlights I also still see my coating there right next to it. So I know the coating adhered, but it seems the UV blocking abilities are what is failing in the long term.

From what i've read UV blockers die when they block a UV ray. So therefore there's only a limited amount of UV blockers that can be suspended in just a thin layer of the coatings.

I think the key to longevity is layering, and frequent application to maintain.

Detailed Josh
08-03-2015, 02:40 AM
It seems like this subject is kind of like "how long does a pair of jeans last". Going to really vary.

Looks like I'll keep kicking with Opti-Lens.

MDX Detailing
08-03-2015, 04:35 AM
I've been using delta kits. Been very happy for 3 years now.