PDA

View Full Version : I have Spots on my Infinity G37. Help!

Pages : [1] 2

Gusto2465
07-20-2015, 02:16 PM
So my wife drives a 2013 Inifinty G37 with white pearl paint. When clean the pearl pops and looks great from a distance, but when you get close to it and bend down real close you see these small spots everywhere on the vehicle. I tried to clay bar it off but it won't even budge. I tried the grey, red, and blue clay bars but none would remove the spots. Spoke to a car wash place with a detailer and they had no idea on how to get the spots off. Any ideas would help. I'll post a follow up with pic once she's home.

Kamakaz1961
07-20-2015, 02:23 PM
You will have to polish off the spots. Depending how severe they are. I would look into a test spot with FG400 followed up by SF4000/4500 or equivalent compound/polish.

You will have to use (or should use) a DA. But without pics I really can only give a logical guess.

Claying will not get rid of water spots...compound and/or polishing will.

Sicoupe
07-20-2015, 02:55 PM
Have you tried iron-x?

Rsurfer
07-20-2015, 03:02 PM
Have you tried iron-x?

Good place to start.:props:

ricadodetail
07-20-2015, 03:35 PM
White cars generally have iron dust, little orange dust marks. Best way to remove those are if you get a clay pad, nankin has them. Use it with an orbital and some spray wax. That will remove it right away. It will not harm the paint as it is design for this. Just make sure the surface if well lubricated and you're good.
Also you can try the iron-x but follow those directions to the T. Keep it in the shade, spay on the cool car. Don't apply in the heat nor when the paint is hot. But you're best bet is the clay pad from nanoskin.

medicscott
07-20-2015, 04:19 PM
You need FG400 to get those spots out. Just did the same color 3 weeks ago.

Rsurfer
07-20-2015, 05:10 PM

Why would you use a compound that will remove clear coat when Iron X might work without removing clear coat?

99C5Coupe
07-20-2015, 05:23 PM
Curious as to why start with FG400, I have always used SF4000, orange or even white pad with Flex 3401 and six to seven passes. Water spots and swirls completely gone.
I use well water run through CR Spotless for washing and this car (2006 Chevy Cobalt SS/SC) sits outside 24/7. Are water spots of different degree of severity or?

Sicoupe
07-20-2015, 06:03 PM
Why would you use a compound that will remove clear coat when Iron X might work without removing clear coat?totally agree:xyxthumbs:

Kamakaz1961
07-20-2015, 06:21 PM

:iagree: I had to use FG400 and then follow up with SF4500. These were deep water spots etched in the paint. This was last week with my buddies Shelby. Additionally, there was etched bird poop too.

In my case, Iron X would not have gotten rid of the etched water spots or bird poop.

I still say do a test spot and see the results. Either way in my case I had to compound/polish.

As always start with the least aggressive (Iron-X) if that doesn't work...Polish if that doesn't work compound.

Test spot and see results

Jaretr1
07-20-2015, 06:26 PM
White cars generally have iron dust, little orange dust marks. Best way to remove those are if you get a clay pad, nankin has them. Use it with an orbital and some spray wax. That will remove it right away. It will not harm the paint as it is design for this. Just make sure the surface if well lubricated and you're good.
Also you can try the iron-x but follow those directions to the T. Keep it in the shade, spay on the cool car. Don't apply in the heat nor when the paint is hot. But you're best bet is the clay pad from nanoskin.

ALL CARS accumulate iron particles, more if you are near a railroad or industrial area. Color has nothing to do with it. Only white cars its far more visible.

Clay or a clay alternative will not remove them completely if at all on its own. You need a dedicated iron remover product such as IronX that will disolve them.

medicscott
07-20-2015, 07:04 PM
All I know is I had the exact same issue 3 weeks ago on the same exact paint and used IronX and it didn't work. Just trying to save the man some time. FG 400 was the answer.

Kamakaz1961
07-20-2015, 07:23 PM
All I know is I had the exact same issue 3 weeks ago on the same exact paint and used IronX and it didn't work. Just trying to save the man some time. FG 400 was the answer.

:iagree: Iron X will not remove etched water spots...PERIOD!

LSNAutoDetailing
07-20-2015, 08:33 PM

Have to agree with Scott, sometimes you just have to go to the solution in which experience may indicate a quick solution. However, with that said.... If you have time and patients, test every process, wash the car, Iron-X, let dwell, rinse, nano-skin/clay, inspect the paint. If spots are still there, tape off and do a test section. Start with the least aggressive approach fist, check the results.. if good, move on, if not move up in aggressive product line... All answers here are correct...

Gusto2465
07-20-2015, 09:41 PM
So here's a few photos358683586935870