PDA

View Full Version : Orange peel

Souldetailer
07-20-2015, 01:37 PM
Okay, my friends at AGO,
My vehicle is gorgeous, beautiful thanks to Colli 476. Unfortunately the painters did not do a fabulous job, yes I'm afraid she has orange peel. I won't do anything due to comprimising the surface. I know there are pads to try and correct this but I don't wish to take that route. That leads to my question. Do you think that with normal correction the peel will
subside due to eventual correction? Thanks and take care.

Peace,

Darrin

Rsurfer
07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
I doubt it. Was this a complete re-paint?

Souldetailer
07-20-2015, 02:15 PM
I doubt it. Was this a complete re-paint?

No, original. You don't think that eventual correction will do the same as those pads?

Peace,

Darrin

oldmodman
07-20-2015, 02:28 PM
Before you try to do any orange peel removal it would be worth it to have the paint thickness measured. Factory applied paint is so thin these days that on some cars trying to remove even just the high spots of the orange peel will make the clear portion of the paint so thin that your paint could start failing in just a couple of years.

There are quite a few threads on here that discuss paint thickness and what type of safety margin to try and maintain.

But if you had a new paint job on the car then it would be much easier to sand down the clear to eliminate all the orange peel. Painters will generally apply several times (or more) clear than does the factory.

Souldetailer
07-20-2015, 02:33 PM
Before you try to do any orange peel removal it would be worth it to have the paint thickness measured. Factory applied paint is so thin these days that on some cars trying to remove even just the high spots of the orange peel will make the clear portion of the paint so thin that your paint could start failing in just a couple of years.

There are quite a few threads on here that discuss paint thickness and what type of safety margin to try and maintain.

But if you had a new paint job on the car then it would be much easier to sand down the clear to eliminate all the orange peel. Painters will generally apply several times (or more) clear than does the factory.

Yeah, thank you for the response. I really have no problem leaving her like she is. Who doesn't want show room paint? It's original paint and she's beautiful as she is. Thanks.

Peace,

Darrin

Rsurfer
07-20-2015, 02:44 PM
No, original. You don't think that eventual correction will do the same as those pads?

Peace,

Darrin

I had a 04 G35 that I used every compound and polish under the sun with rotary and DA. Paint became thin (75 mic) after years of buffing. And yes, some of the OP became much less noticeable, but it took years of buffing. :props:

Kyle_Elantra
07-20-2015, 03:05 PM
Generally speaking, no - traditional pads will not level orange peel over time. They are soft enough to move with the peaks and valleys of the orange peel - and therefore you will see consistent paint removal at the tops and bottoms of the peel.

Pads for removing orange peel (like denim) and significantly stiffer than other pads, and that's so they don't conform to the valleys. They only remove the peaks.

Souldetailer
07-20-2015, 03:21 PM
Thank you all. Pretty much what I expected. She still shines like a MF. That Colli 476 is a fantastic wax if y'all haven't tried it. Take care and good luck to ya.

Peace,

Darrin

Recon 4th 502nd
07-20-2015, 06:49 PM
She still shines like a MF.

MicroFibers don't shine! http://www.worthychristianforums.com/public/style_emoticons/default/huh.png

;)