PDA

View Full Version : scratches on glass?

QuickCln
07-20-2015, 12:19 PM
If I put opticoat or opti gloss or opti glass on my glass surfaces, will those glass surfaces eventually show swirls\scrtaches on the surface. Glass on its own almost never shows scratches, but because with these coating you are adding a type of clear coat on top of the glass, you are introducing the possibility for swirls on the clear coat that may show on glass.

Someone with actual experience doing the above please reply. I don't want to hear bs from people speculating(\talking out of their a$$ as though they've been thru the matter but actually haven't or from fan boys), just simple knowledge\experience on the matter. There's enough BS on these forums as it is.

QuickCln
07-22-2015, 06:17 PM
Why should I buy opti glass or opti coat or whathave you from this site if no one has durability reports on the product?

My question is a real one because it is the whole point of the coating.

Do fine swirls that may be introduced on the glass coating become visibile the same way swirls are visible on paint? Glass on its own does not easily receive swirls.

Rsurfer
07-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Why should I buy opti glass or opti coat or whathave you from this site if no one has durability reports on the product?

My question is a real one because it is the whole point of the coating.

Do fine swirls that may be introduced on the glass coating become visibile the same way swirls are visible on paint? Glass on its own does not easily receive swirls.

I have never gotten swirl marks on my glass after using a glass coating. I've only used G1,G5, Optiglass and Flyby40, none of these showed swirls. Durability depends on how well you prep, in the car outside 24/7 and how often you use your wipers. Someone living in Arizona will not be using their wipers like someone living in Florida. I live in a hot tropical area and cars are outside 24/7 and see an average of 6-8 months durability.

QuickCln
07-22-2015, 08:47 PM
thanks. that is counterintuitive because coatings are like clearcoats and if applied to paint, esp black, they do show swirls over time. I am afraid that it will be the same on my dark tinted windows... I guess not according to at least your experience.

I guess ill have to try and see.

AGOatemywallet
07-23-2015, 09:33 AM
You have already formed your opinion

Why did you ask for input?

The tint is on the inside of the windows

Ryan509
07-23-2015, 10:58 AM
My 06 impala windshield is awfull as it was an older couple who owned it before me and a taxi service before them (suprisingly the car is in great shape otherwise) But the cheap GM glass is swirled to all heck, pitted like no tomorrow and chipped when i hit a snowy owl at 90km/h

conman1395
07-23-2015, 11:47 AM
My 06 impala windshield is awfull as it was an older couple who owned it before me and a taxi service before them (suprisingly the car is in great shape otherwise) But the cheap GM glass is swirled to all heck, pitted like no tomorrow and chipped when i hit a snowy owl at 90km/h
I'm surprised it only chipped after hitting an owl and not more!

QuickCln
07-23-2015, 12:05 PM
You have already formed your opinion

Why did you ask for input?

The tint is on the inside of the windows

I hadn't formed an opinion, just a type of hypothesis. Think about it, the clear coat is where we see swirls. If we add a type of clear coat on glass, then we are introducing the possibility of seeing swirls on the clear coat that we have put on the glass. The clear coat in this case being opti glass\gloss\coat.

The reason i mentioned tint is because it makes the color darker and swirls are more visible on darker surfaces...even though the tint is on the inside.

I can't believe that what I am explaining is that hard to grasp. Don't you guys understand that a clear coat goes on top of a substrate? And that it is the clear coat that is susceptible to scratches? Glass on its own does not accept swirl marks (from washing at least) very easily, but if you coat the glass with opticoat, you may now have to deal with swirls where you didn't have to deal with them before.... on the glass!

Rsurfer
07-23-2015, 01:54 PM
You are putting clear coat as you call it (coating) over clear coat. When you apply it to glass it is so microscopic that you won't be able to see the fine scratches. In all my years of applying glass coating, I have never seen swirls in properly cared and clean glass. If you believe that your theory is correct, don't use a coating on your glass.:nomore:

QuickCln
07-23-2015, 06:52 PM
Thanks again. You are the only one that has given me a decent response. The only reason why i replied to the thread is because someone misunderstood my question, that wasn't you btw.

I believe you and will apply opticoat and see how durable it is on glass. if I see swirls like i do elsewhere on the car, I will report back my experience. At least then others will be able to have an answer to this question.

Rsurfer
07-23-2015, 06:54 PM
Thanks again. You are the only one that has given me a decent response. The only reason why i replied to the thread is because someone misunderstood my question, that wasn't you btw.

I believe you and will apply opticoat and see how durable it is on glass. if I see swirls like i do elsewhere on the car, I will report back my experience. At least then others will be able to have an answer to this question.

Fair enough, good luck.:props: