PDA

View Full Version : New tool for oldschool detailer

DetailDrivenEugene
07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Hey fellow geeks.
I am a 15 year detailer that has gotten stellar results over the years using a rotary buffer. In my quest to go from detailing as a side gig, to doing it full time for myself, I have been doing a lot of research on all the new products and processes that have come along.
I decided a while ago that I would eventually have to get a DA polisher, and the time is here.
I have an upcoming job doing paint correction on a 2008 Mazda mx-5 miata in copper red metallic. The finish is pretty typical of a vehicle this age that has been maintained by an average car owner. Lots of swirls and a few random scratches. After reading about thin Mazda paint, I have decided to buy the flex 3401, some lc pads, and Maguire's 105 and 205. Just wanted to run it by those with more DA experience, to make sure this is a good approach.

Thanks in advance.
B

LSNAutoDetailing
07-20-2015, 11:54 AM
Hey fellow geeks.
I am a 15 year detailer that has gotten stellar results over the years using a rotary buffer. In my quest to go from detailing as a side gig, to doing it full time for myself, I have been doing a lot of research on all the new products and processes that have come along.
I decided a while ago that I would eventually have to get a DA polisher, and the time is here.
I have an upcoming job doing paint correction on a 2008 Mazda mx-5 miata in copper red metallic. The finish is pretty typical of a vehicle this age that has been maintained by an average car owner. Lots of swirls and a few random scratches. After reading about thin Mazda paint, I have decided to buy the flex 3401, some lc pads, and Maguire's 105 and 205. Just wanted to run it by those with more DA experience, to make sure this is a good approach.

Thanks in advance.
B

Great approach... Good choice on the Flex and you can't go wrong with old faithfuls such as Megs 105 / 205. My only add here is probably nothing different you've heard from Mike Phillips and that is, start with the least aggressive approach (product/pad) and see if you get desired results on a test-spot first.

You'd be surprised that with a good DA and proper LC pad that you may not need a cut scale of #10 from 105 and may get great results from a product like a 5 or 6, such as Pinnacle Advanced Swirl Remover (#6), or HD Speed (#2) which is an AIO (all in one, polish & sealant).

You'll find that most everyone has good things to say about HD Speed, both in how it will remove fine swirls and light scratches to how easy it goes on and comes off. Plus it's sun safe (to a point...).

Hope this helps. The Flex is a great tool!