PDA

View Full Version : damp microfiber for wax removal

asianisafish
07-20-2015, 10:40 AM
Has anyone made their microfiber damp for microfiber? i had a spare waffle weave towel and soaked it in water and wrung it out, then used it to remove the wax on the car and it worked great!

is making the microfiber damp before removal safe for the wax? as in it wont remove the wax only the excess?

Nick McKees37
07-20-2015, 10:58 AM
Has anyone made their microfiber damp for microfiber? i had a spare waffle weave towel and soaked it in water and wrung it out, then used it to remove the wax on the car and it worked great!

is making the microfiber damp before removal safe for the wax? as in it wont remove the wax only the excess?

Most waxes, sealants and coatings have a curing time (even if not advertised), so it's best to avoid water and moisture for a couple hours.

If you're using a wax that's tricky to remove, consider spraying your towel or panel with a high quality spray wax. This will soften whatever product that's difficult to remove without affecting the curing process.

parshooter
07-20-2015, 12:03 PM
If you're using a wax that's tricky to remove, consider spraying your towel or panel with a high quality spray wax. This will soften whatever product that's difficult to remove without affecting the curing process.
And DOUBLE your waxing pleasure.
Great tip, thanks.

asianisafish
07-20-2015, 12:59 PM
thanks for the help guys, the wax is megs 26 btw

FUNX650
07-20-2015, 03:10 PM
I'm under the impression that Wax will become
suspended in water...not mix with water.

Bob

ricadodetail
07-20-2015, 03:29 PM
By using the damp towel you will remove the wax really well but it will not give it the time it needs to cure. most waxes need at least 24 hours for the wax to bond to the paint, making it last the recommended time it states. You're basically impeding the bonding time it needs with the damp cloth. Best thing to do when you have applied too much wax is to get a dry clean MF and spray a bit o spray wax on it and gently remove it. The wax will come off, just get a clean side when you feel it is not removing any wax. Don't apply pressure, the MF is doing its job, sometimes the wax is applied too think and needs a couple of passes to remove.

FUNX650
07-20-2015, 03:44 PM
By using the damp towel you will
remove the wax really well

but it will not give it the time it needs to cure.

most waxes need at least 24 hours
for the wax to bond to the paint,
making it last the recommended time it states.

You're basically impeding the bonding time
it needs with the damp cloth.

It would be of great interest, at least to me, if
you would share your source(s) for stating that:

•A damp MF-towel will remove Car Wax
really well. (I suppose vs. say: A dry MF-towel)

•Car Waxes will bond to automotive paint.
-Most Car Waxes need 24 hours to achieve
said bonding.

•Also, since you mentioned it:
-What is, generally speaking, the cure time
of most Car Waxes?

TIA.

Bob

JSFM35x
07-20-2015, 03:47 PM
My guess is when the water dries you will see a bunch of wax residue you did not see when it was wet. The MF has a lot less bite when wet.

Buff-N-Glo
07-20-2015, 06:22 PM
I think this is a horrible idea. Not only will you take off more wax then you want to, you will smear excess wax everywhere that the water picks up. Don't try to take shortcuts on wax, use a little bit of elbow grease. If that's too hard then you need to start lifting some weights.

asianisafish
07-20-2015, 10:00 PM
so far it seemed okay.....the paint is slick and beads and sheets normally

Odisious
07-20-2015, 10:25 PM
I've given up on buffing with MF. I just fire up my pressure washer and hammer the living ---- out of the painted surfaces that are waxed. I'll tell you what, I've never had any wax left over. Funny though, beading and sheeting are horrible...

Oh and FUNX650, cure time must be about a year since waxes just refuse to last that long.

FUNX650
07-21-2015, 07:55 AM
I've given up on buffing with MF. I just fire up my pressure washer and hammer the living ---- out of the painted surfaces that are waxed. I'll tell you what, I've never had any wax left over. Funny though, beading and sheeting are horrible...

Oh and FUNX650, cure time must be about a year since waxes just refuse to last that long.
That's Gelastic Fantastic!

Bob