PDA

View Full Version : slow progress

Kuper
07-18-2015, 04:16 PM
I am not new to washing cars but I am to doing it the right way.
right now I am trying to maintain our new chrysler 200 I picked black yikes.

So this morning I got up early got all my products together
luckily I had a tall book shelf in our carport so that worked out nice for staging the stuff. I rinsed I used the optimum car wash two bucket with two wash mitts (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) one had two grit guard in the bucket. other had the soap.

than off to drying I used a silicon squeegee followed by a microfiber drying towel. the paint felt contaminated so I used the nanoskin medium sponge followed with ONR mixed for a clay lube. I got most of it done but sun came out and getting the car really warm so parked it in the carport to cool off than finished that. than off to my harbor freight polisher with the lake country backing plate and 5.5" foam pads and m205 and only got the front end polished the rest of the car needs done as well So I applied some 50%IPA followed by meguiars ultimate paste wax to most of the car again most of it my time was running out because my wife and daughter had an appointment and needed the car so my work stopped.

so I figure later in the evening I can use some quick detail spray and finish the rest of the work but we will see sorry for the long post I will post some pictures here in just a minute feel free to tell me if i did something wrong or my procedures.

Thanks

James

Kamakaz1961
07-18-2015, 05:13 PM
I am not new to washing cars but I am to doing it the right way.
right now I am trying to maintain our new chrysler 200 I picked black yikes.

So this morning I got up early got all my products together
luckily I had a tall book shelf in our carport so that worked out nice for staging the stuff. I rinsed I used the optimum car wash two bucket with two wash mitts (feel free to correct me if I am wrong) one had two grit guard in the bucket. other had the soap.

than off to drying I used a silicon squeegee followed by a microfiber drying towel. the paint felt contaminated so I used the nanoskin medium sponge followed with ONR mixed for a clay lube. I got most of it done but sun came out and getting the car really warm so parked it in the carport to cool off than finished that. than off to my harbor freight polisher with the lake country backing plate and 5.5" foam pads and m205 and only got the front end polished the rest of the car needs done as well So I applied some 50%IPA followed by meguiars ultimate paste wax to most of the car again most of it my time was running out because my wife and daughter had an appointment and needed the car so my work stopped.

so I figure later in the evening I can use some quick detail spray and finish the rest of the work but we will see sorry for the long post I will post some pictures here in just a minute feel free to tell me if i did something wrong or my procedures.

Thanks

James

If there is any advice that I or anyone here on AGO will tell you...DITCH THE SQUEEGEE!! Especially with a black car.

Kuper
07-18-2015, 05:40 PM
here are some pics showing the dirty paint before and an after pic with some slight swirl marks yet left to remove but its a work in progress.

roger that kamakaz1961 on the squeegee thanks!

I used only the orange cutting pad lake country i wonder if I just need more passes or different pad?

Kuper
07-18-2015, 07:51 PM
also I will mention that I did the interior the day before, it was kind of an experiment. Normally i use the small shop vac but i tried the vacuum my wife picked out for the house. now mind you it sounds like a bad idea, but it worked pretty good its a shark rotator professional. The shark has awesome suction seems way better than the shop vac and it came with some attachments to detail a car and i used them all especially in the tight spots like the rear windshield carpeted area. The only thing is I could use a cart for it or a longer hose. The shark is a lift away model but the hose is kind of short. It is pretty expensive for the vacuum but we just wanted a good vacuum for home. So if you wanted to you could get this as a gift for your significant other as well as yourself.

after the dusting/vacuuming I really must say I am impressed with meguiars products the apc is awesome stuff as well as the hyper dressing i like just the original finish not too shiny plus saves me that much more at the 10:1 ratio.

excuse my punctuation it needs improving like my detail skills:)

I think I am done rambling tonight

good night everyone

AGOatemywallet
07-18-2015, 10:07 PM
This is an excellent starting place

Auto Detailing Facts, auto detailing Tips, How to detailing Guides, how to polish, how to wax, DIY detailing, do it yourself guides (http://www.autogeek.net/detailingtips.html)

Kuper
07-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Yes that is a great place for info thanks AGOatemywallet I like that name by the way.

I woke up this morning and went outside and even under the car port this is what i see in the picture below

Kuper
07-19-2015, 01:58 PM
sorry picture is not the greatest but its of the roof of the car with bugs and debris.