PDA

View Full Version : Which Flex?

Satcho
07-18-2015, 01:22 PM
Background
New to forum...very informative thus ensuring I get it right the first time.

I seek to purchase a single polisher that can address oxidation, swirls, scratches and have the flexibility for smaller pads. Initially I shall be working on a 1977 450SL. I am confirming through the BenzWorld forum whether the vehicle has a single stage paint. The paint code is 903 (Wedgewood Blue) with a 524 code denoting "paint preservation". Do not know if the 524 code equates to a clear coat.

So I need a polisher that can handle a likely single stage paint. Also I would like to be able to use the same polisher for the smaller e.g. 1", 2", 3" pads.

Questions
I conclude that a Flex PE 14-2 will suffice but I have some concern since it is rotary and I likely have a fragile, thin, old paint but you never know with 1977 German paint quality. Will the slower speed settings on the PE 14-2 offset this concern? Or should I select the 3401 while giving up on smaller pad sizes?

Thanks for help.

Satcho
07-18-2015, 04:36 PM
Quick update...

BenzWorld members state that my vehicle has a single stage paint finish with a factory clear coat added as an option. Now I'm seeking BW input on comparison of 1977 clear coat vs. today's.

Billy Baldone
07-18-2015, 05:06 PM
3401 is the most versatile polisher they offer. If you need more cut, use wool with 100,101, or 105. See some of Richy's posts on this. I have a bit of a man crush on him right now

Satcho
07-18-2015, 06:55 PM
Billy:

After reviewing many posts, the 3401 seems to be an all-around favorite. The only drawback seems to be lack of smaller BPs. I am speculating that I could have an adapter machined to enable 1" and 3" pads. I'm trying to have one tool perform both large flat panels and small areas as well.

Do you have any thoughts?

MIsnowman
07-18-2015, 07:16 PM
I have no experience with the really small pads, but I don't think you'd want to use them with a full size rotary. You would have to be extremely careful. I think that's why Flex has the PE8 mini rotary.

FUNX650
07-18-2015, 07:59 PM
Background
New to forum.

Initially I shall be working on a 1977 450SL.
I am confirming through the BenzWorld forum whether the vehicle has a single stage paint.

The paint code is 903 (Wedgewood Blue) with

a 524 code denoting "paint preservation".
Do not know if the 524 code equates to a clear coat.

I likely have a fragile, thin, old paint but you never know with 1977 German paint quality.

Quick update...

BenzWorld members state that my vehicle has a single stage paint finish with a factory clear coat added as an option. Now I'm seeking BW input on comparison of 1977 clear coat vs. today's.
•First of all:
:welcome: ...to AGO!

•Next:
-The 524 code was not a designation for any Clear Coat paint...
-Rather...524 was the code for the "Special Shipping Wax" that was applied to keep surface paint problems to a minimun during over-the-ocean/sea shipments. (Probably something akin to cosmoline)

So:
•Unless this vehicle has had a respray...
-It's a SS paint system.
-Time to employ Meguiar's M07...Per:
Mike Phillips' SS-articles.

Bob

Billy Baldone
07-18-2015, 08:14 PM
Billy:

After reviewing many posts, the 3401 seems to be an all-around favorite. The only drawback seems to be lack of smaller BPs. I am speculating that I could have an adapter machined to enable 1" and 3" pads. I'm trying to have one tool perform both large flat panels and small areas as well.

Do you have any thoughts?

Sorry, I missed that part of your post. Unfortunately, the Flex is limited in backing plates. I personally use a PC with 3" backing plate for tight spots, so far, that is as small as I have needed.

Satcho
07-18-2015, 08:27 PM
Bob (FUNX650):

Thanks. I will share your thoughts with BenzWorld forum.

I have cut 'n pasted Mike Phillip's articles on MGs #7 and single stage paints; already purchased MGs #7 in anticipation.

Do you have any suggestions for small areas? Looking over the 450SL's body, a 1" and 3" would work perfectly.

VISITOR
07-18-2015, 08:44 PM
I am speculating that I could have an adapter machined to enable 1" and 3" pads. I'm trying to have one tool perform both large flat panels and small areas as well.

the smallest backing plate you can use for the flex 3401 is the 4". for smaller areas (1"-2") you would be better of using the pe8 which it was designed for..

if you're doing this only a few times a year and not as a job, the GG6 (flex would be overkill) with the 3", 3.5", and 5" DA backing plates and pads will cover most all the areas on the vehicle. sometimes it's good to have at least a few different tools (polishers in this case) to accomplish multiple tasks...

FUNX650
07-18-2015, 08:48 PM
Bob (FUNX650):
Thanks. I will share your thoughts with BenzWorld forum.

Please share all that you want to...and then:
Let us know what they say. Feed back please

Do you have any suggestions for small areas? Looking over the 450SL's body, a 1" and 3" would work perfectly.
I'll suggest to first go here:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

And then scroll down to these articles:
http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1493.jpg

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/medium/image1494.jpg

Bob

Satcho
07-19-2015, 03:07 PM
Bill (FUNX650):

Thank you for the additional information links.

Only one member from BenzWorld is responding, so far, to my inquiry. He insists that the code denotes a clear coat. To triangulate, I've emailed Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Orange County, California for their input.

Matthew
Need to find that can of rubbing compound to do a test.

I found Mike Phillips articles on restoring single-stage paints using Meguiar's #7.

If in fact the vehicle has a two-stage paint, is the Meguiar's #7 the right product and process?

Satcho
07-20-2015, 11:33 AM
Bob (FUNX650):

Winner, winner...chicken dinner.

The Mercedes Benz Classic Center in Irvine, California stated the following:

PAINT PRESERVATION IS A WAX COATING THEY PUT ON TO PROTECT IT FROM THE SEA WATER DURING TRANSPORTION IT IS REMOVED AT THE PREP CENTER BEFORE DELIVERY TO THE DEALER

903 IS A SINGLE STAGE PAINT DON’T KNOW THE THICKNESS

Kind regards, / Mit freundlichen Grüßen,

Jon

Mystery solved.

My vehicle has a non-factory pinstripe. I can feel by hand that it is slightly raised. Do I need to treat this as an edge...stay away from it or treat it as apart of the panel?

I spent a good portion of yesterday reviewing numerous articles that you cited...very helpful. Did not realize there was much work to detail properly.

Regards,

Matthew

FUNX650
07-20-2015, 01:55 PM
PAINT PRESERVATION IS A WAX COATING THEY PUT ON TO PROTECT IT FROM THE SEA WATER DURING TRANSPORTION

IT IS REMOVED AT THE PREP CENTER BEFORE DELIVERY TO THE DEALER

And the costs associated with that removal process
of Code #524 was more than likely a charge-back
from the Dealer to MB...via Code #367. :)

My vehicle has a non-factory pinstripe. I can feel by hand that it is slightly raised. Do I need to treat this as an edge...stay away from it or treat it as apart of the panel?

If it's raised...
I'd definitely treat it as an "edge".

Bob