PDA

View Full Version : Cold Calling Businesses

AustrianOak82
07-17-2015, 07:52 AM
I have been keeping pretty steady with new customers through word of mouth, Facebook, and my website. I work FT in the insurance field, so I don't have much time to get out there and cold call. I am going to try and get out there soon and cold call some car dealerships. My plan was to target some of the smaller used car dealerships near my shop, specifically the ones that don't have a shop or bay onsite. I specialize in paint correction, so I figured this is a good start for some additional steady business.

My question is, who do you guys hit when you cold call? Do you start with the smaller used car dealerships? What are your experiences targeting the larger new car dealerships? Who else do you guys cold call on? I hit up an Enterprise the other day but they are really just looking for the cheapest way out. Thanks!

FinishingTouchA
07-17-2015, 08:44 AM
Subbed for answers.

Here's a little input too.. With larger "accounts" its very hard to profit, more about keeping the employees busy. I just started doing work for a local dealership and they pay 140 whether it takes an hour or 8, most of the vehicles take 4-5, then there's the bad ones and the wash and vacs. I wouldn't touch one if I didn't have employees to keep busy. The profit margin is tiny but I see it as training and it may not change my paycheck but it keeps one in their pockets.

VP Mark
07-17-2015, 09:24 AM
A bigger question than your original one, if you are working FT and your detailing is part time, why do you want dealership work? Things I have found with dealers:

1. They pay bottom dollar, and will often send you horrific vehicles expecting perfection at no extra pay.
2. They want you available NOW. "I can do it later this week" does not work for them. If you are part time, this might not work well for you.
3. They will dump you at the drop of a hat to save $5. They don't care about how good your work is.

Why not as a part timer work on building higher end clientele that will appreciate your work and work around your schedule?

To answer your original question:

Don't cold call them, go visit them, introduce yourself, and offer to do a detail at no charge. They will of course take you up on the free detail, and you will have an opportunity to sell them on your services after they see your work.

AustrianOak82
07-17-2015, 08:38 PM
Subbed for answers.

Here's a little input too.. With larger "accounts" its very hard to profit, more about keeping the employees busy. I just started doing work for a local dealership and they pay 140 whether it takes an hour or 8, most of the vehicles take 4-5, then there's the bad ones and the wash and vacs. I wouldn't touch one if I didn't have employees to keep busy. The profit margin is tiny but I see it as training and it may not change my paycheck but it keeps one in their pockets.

Well, I am a one man operation. I guess that would change your opinion on my situation?

A bigger question than your original one, if you are working FT and your detailing is part time, why do you want dealership work? Things I have found with dealers:

1. They pay bottom dollar, and will often send you horrific vehicles expecting perfection at no extra pay.
2. They want you available NOW. "I can do it later this week" does not work for them. If you are part time, this might not work well for you.
3. They will dump you at the drop of a hat to save $5. They don't care about how good your work is.

Why not as a part timer work on building higher end clientele that will appreciate your work and work around your schedule?

To answer your original question:

Don't cold call them, go visit them, introduce yourself, and offer to do a detail at no charge. They will of course take you up on the free detail, and you will have an opportunity to sell them on your services after they see your work.

That makes sense, thanks! I am looking for some steady work for the most part. I have been in business about a year. I know it will take a while to build my base but in the meantime I was looking for some steady extra income.

You are spot on with my future plans. My goal in the next two years is to only handle the customers that really care about their vehicles. I am by appointment only now and I am hoping to build up a good steady clientele over time and handle those primarily. I am guessing you think I should keep trying to build towards my goal vs. towards faster income?

By me visiting them and introducing myself this would be a cold call. Thinking maybe I should avoid the big dealers and check-out some of the mom and pop used car dealers (if at all)?

VP Mark
07-18-2015, 10:27 AM
Well, I am a one man operation. I guess that would change your opinion on my situation?

That makes sense, thanks! I am looking for some steady work for the most part. I have been in business about a year. I know it will take a while to build my base but in the meantime I was looking for some steady extra income.

You are spot on with my future plans. My goal in the next two years is to only handle the customers that really care about their vehicles. I am by appointment only now and I am hoping to build up a good steady clientele over time and handle those primarily. I am guessing you think I should keep trying to build towards my goal vs. towards faster income?

By me visiting them and introducing myself this would be a cold call. Thinking maybe I should avoid the big dealers and check-out some of the mom and pop used car dealers (if at all)?

Right, if anyone go for the smaller dealerships. The large dealerships will be strictly volume oriented in their pricing.

When you set down with a dealership, let them know EXACTLY what they will get for a set cost, and what they will NOT get. This is very important, or they will just assume that you are going to do a full correction on each car for $100 - $150 plus interior, engine bay, deodorizing, paint touch up, scratch removal, heavy stain removal, ect, ect all for the same price.

If they try and bully you, intimidate you, or you generally get a bad "vibe" from them, thank them for their time and walk away. You have to trust your instincts in this business, and if you instincts are telling you to walk away do it, and don't hesitate.

If you have a classic car or exotic dealership in your area, these should be your main focus. But do NOT come to them with cheapo prices. If you come to a higher end used car dealership with a "$100 detail" package, they are going to group you with all the other detailers that have knocked on their door over the years.

Offer the higher end dealerships full retail pricing, with an option to change pricing down the road as a relationship is established and the true work flow of how much they will be sending you and what their expectations are for each detail are established. This way you don't go setting low prices when you are not getting the volume that makes the lowered pricing worth it to you.

I've been around the block with dealerships before. I only service one small dealership now, and they mostly just call me when they have a "problem child" the other cheapo detailers cannot handle.