PDA

View Full Version : Collinite Questions...

Pages : [1] 2

Ricorocks
07-15-2015, 07:08 PM
Hi Guys,

This stuff comes in a tin or solid or semi solid. I plan to apply, it to a LC finishing pad, via putty knife, but first a little spritz of pad lubricant.

They say do a 2' x 2' section then wipe before moving on:

Do you still do "on the fly pad cleaning?"

If so how frequent 1, 2, 3 applications then pad cleaning?

I read that one tin should do 10 - 18 cars. WOW! I probably in general use more product than necessary, with this wax, seems over use, can be problematic. I've spent some time drawing circles, & slicing it up like a pie. The third slice, gives 16 slices, so when I get it, I'll use the can to draw a circle, on paper, & divide it up into 16 slices (the paper), now I will know, how big the slice is. Stick a finishing nail in the center of the wax, then visualize referring to my pie drawing & then use one slice for the car.

So how often to apply wax to the car, + on the fly cleaning become important, as the first 2' x 2' pane would get most, while the 2nd, 3rd or 4th, spreading (on one putty knife load) would get less product. Any ideas how to ballpark (easily) how many 2' x 2' sections, make up a car? Knowing this (how many 2 x 2's) each section could get a new load from the putty knife. Now on the fly cleaning becomes, more interesting.

This may seem way out there to most, but I've always tended to use too much. After using the correct amount (roughly correct amt.), I can take my crazy pie chart to the garbage can.

Thanks for all your comments, even the ones that label me a "space cadet"

Thanks
Rico

Kamakaz1961
07-15-2015, 07:15 PM
If you are going to apply it by hand as opposed to a DA; IMO just dab the paste with the applicator...no need to spread it with a knife. If you are going to use a DA; I know a 4" red Hydrotech pad will fit and just blip the throttle and spread. Again, no need to use a knife. That is the way I do it and it has worked fine for me.

But MOST IMPORTANT: APPLY IT THIN!!! If you put it on too thick, it is real difficult to remove. I know as I did that. THIN IS IN. If you put it on thin it is easy to remove.

Ricorocks
07-15-2015, 11:10 PM
Hola Amigo,

Yes DA, 5.5 LC hydro PAD.

What is "blip" G110 speed 1-6?

No need to "on fly clean pad"?????

Because of past over usage, I thought about the visual pie chart, to use the correct amt., but how often to apply & pad fly cleaning still a mystery. When that 1/16 th piece of the pie is gone, I should have waxed the entire car, thus how many (ballpark) 2 x2 make up a car. Then each 2 x2 gets the same.

on the fly pad clean yes/no?

How often refresh pad (from allotted pie slice)?

Many thanks CJ, I'm old/slow & learning.

Take Care
Rico

Ricorocks
07-15-2015, 11:33 PM
Hi Guys,

I understand this is almost an impossible question, but heavy or lite comments appreciated. So as to point in the right direction.

I think I use too much?

1st is CG's glaze 104, 2nd pic CG's Jet Seal, both allowed the recommended cure time, then pic.

Don M
07-16-2015, 08:34 AM
Just from the pics, it looks like you might be a bit on the heavy side. How easy/difficult was it to remove?

PS: For Collinite, that would be way too thick

AZ Mike
07-16-2015, 09:19 AM
I have used the Collinite 476 on 2 vehicles. I apply by machine using a 5" Black Hybrid pad on a Flex 3401. I spread a very small amount of wax over the pad using a butter knife. I then applied the wax on speed 1-1/2 over a 2'x2' area making 2 section passes. With the temperature at 78 F I waited 3-5 minutes before wiping off the wax. It has worked fine. I spread maybe a teaspoon of wax on the fresh pad. For the next area, I add less than the original amount of wax. I add just enough that you can feel wax on the pad, but not enough that it looks white. I do not clean the pad until I am done waxing. After reading posts about how easy it is to over apply this wax, I was very careful to put a very small amount on the pad and don't let it sit long before wipe off. I have had no problems.

Stegs
07-16-2015, 09:55 AM
when i do collinite 915 its so thin i can barely see where i was.

goes on easy, comes of easy...if i feel like it i will do 2 coats

collinite is the best!

Stittville Ed
07-16-2015, 10:15 AM
You will need to put it on as thin as you can.
If you put it on to heavy it becomes very hard to remove, the thinner the better.
A can will last forever...
Old school guys say it will look better after your first wash.

I have seen people apply it to a whole car before removing it with good results

Kamakaz1961
07-16-2015, 10:24 AM
Hola Amigo,

Yes DA, 5.5 LC hydro PAD.

What is "blip" G110 speed 1-6?

No need to "on fly clean pad"?????

Because of past over usage, I thought about the visual pie chart, to use the correct amt., but how often to apply & pad fly cleaning still a mystery. When that 1/16 th piece of the pie is gone, I should have waxed the entire car, thus how many (ballpark) 2 x2 make up a car. Then each 2 x2 gets the same.

on the fly pad clean yes/no?

How often refresh pad (from allotted pie slice)?

Many thanks CJ, I'm old/slow & learning.

Take Care
Rico

LMAO!! I am OLD and SLOW too!!! As for what I do I use my PC7424XP with a 3" Backing Plate and a 4" Red Hydrotech Pad. Your GG6 can fit the same thing or you can use a 4" CCS Pad or equivalent. I use Speed setting 3 for spreading the wax. The 4" Pad will fit in the jar and when I meant blip the throttle just pull the trigger to get some wax on. Then use the DA to spread the wax. Make sure you put it on thin. Your last pics show it may have been put on a little thicker than I would put on.

My guess it was more difficult to remove. As for refreshing or cleaning the pad when I am waxing I don't. Additionally, the remaining wax of the pad helps spread the wax more uniformly. I will not spread the wax with a knife...IMO no need to with the procedure I use. Again, that is me and others may do it differently.

The reason why I use a 4" Pad and not a 5" or bigger (or my Flex 3401) is that when you flip the wax over it does not fall out as the lip from the can prevents it too. Other waxes the wax will flip onto the pad with ease.

You could also use a 3" Pad or 3.5" Pad.

But remember, application is supposed to go on THIN!!!!!

IMO, Collinite are excellent waxes!! They are great for the price. They are finicky if you apply too thick....that goes for ALL of their waxes 915, 845 and 476.

The Collinites are in my wax arsenal but since I am old and slow like you....I will generally use an easier wax to apply. I am now high on Drew's SON1C waxes and Pinnacle Souveran Paste and liquid waxes.

FYI

NYV6Coupe
07-16-2015, 11:00 AM
If you're going to use a DA then skip the knife & just use a slightly damp MF applicator to transfer wax from the tin to paint & then spread. I was a wax-waster & over applying 476 once cured me of that, using the method I described will force you to apply it thin.

Ricorocks
07-16-2015, 01:29 PM
CJ - your DA has a trigger? for quick bliping.

The G110 use a "switch" my biping, is not as quick as yours. So you like, put foam inside the can, & use the weight of the can then blip. How many blips does it take to finish, ballpark.

NYV6Coupe - Or foam pad? Applicator to tin each 2 x 2?

Do you prime the pad first? Very very lightly swipe pad (moist) to tin.

Geez learnin swiping & bliping skills

Kamakaz1961
07-16-2015, 01:44 PM
CJ - your DA has a trigger? for quick bliping.

The G110 use a "switch" my biping, is not as quick as yours. So you like, put foam inside the can, & use the weight of the can then blip. How many blips does it take to finish, ballpark.

NYV6Coupe - Or foam pad? Applicator to tin each 2 x 2?

Do you prime the pad first? Very very lightly swipe pad (moist) to tin.

Geez learnin swiping & bliping skills

Ah trigger, switch or button...means the same to me!! Remember, I am old and slow...LOL. The way I do it is that I will put the Collinite wax on a bench or floor wherever there is stability and just put the DA with the (foam) pad in the jar and just turn it on. Speed setting on 1 to just get product. I just do it for a couple of seconds at the most. NOT TOO MUCH PRESSURE as you do not want too much wax.

In the beginning before I start to apply the wax I will lightly dampen the pad with a QD. Just a spritz and that's it.

This is a feeling out process in the beginning. I know once you start getting used to the DA wax application or sealant; you will wonder why you have waxed by hand. The DA covers more uniformly, spreads greater and is applies product very thin which is what we want.

IMO, applying sealant/wax by DA is superior than by hand. Additionally, I just take the pad off the DA to get to the tough to reach areas by DA and just spread the sealant/wax by hand.

Try this technique and once you master it; it will be fun!! Applying sealant/wax by DA is my favorite part of detailing.

Ricorocks
07-16-2015, 07:18 PM
1 blip per 2 x 2' panel, or?

Kamakaz1961
07-16-2015, 07:24 PM
1 blip per 2 x 2' panel, or?

After you get the feel for it a 2 x 2' panel will not matter. You will be amazed how little wax on the pad can cover and spread so much.

Just experiment with it. Maybe start off with 2 x 2, however, that soon will change to how much wax you can spread. IMO, spread it out as much as possible.

Again, feel that out when you do. BTW, this goes with all the carnauba waxes whether it be paste or liquid wax. Once you get the hang of the technique it is a lot of fun.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-16-2015, 08:03 PM
I spread it on the entire car then wipe off. Application by DA. I like the fact it gives it a little more drying time. I'm guilty of wiping too soon if I dont. Now I'm doing this in my garage, not wide open sun. Adjust as needed.