PDA

View Full Version : How do I know if I have the harder clear??

pricha00
09-11-2007, 05:11 PM
How do I determine whether or not my vehicle features the new scratch resistant clear coat. From what I have read it says 06 and newer vehicles but I see mainly Mercedes and Nissan in the Mezerna literature. Anyone know for sure if the newer Toyotas are using this new paint as well? Judging from the proliferation of scratches on my Rav4 I have a feeling the answer is no.

Pat.

Gary Sword
09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
From most of the comments I have read, the clearcoat on Toyota's is not very hard.

Pauly6401
09-11-2007, 05:16 PM
I think people generally talk about the hardness of a clear coat after they attempt to polish and how easy the swirls or scratches are corrected. Only one way to find out!

And one manufacturer's "hard clear" or scratch resistant clearcoat could be soft compared to another's, so it's all relative.

AL417
09-11-2007, 05:48 PM
I believe that Toyota's in general have soft to medium paint. My Tacoma is pretty soft.

blk45
09-11-2007, 06:10 PM
Mercedes has their Ceramiclear, but I've never heard of Toyota having anything like it. As everyone else has said, Toys are usually soft.

2KLS1
09-11-2007, 07:33 PM
From what I understand it is only the German luxury cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi) that have the ceramic clear, Mercedes for sure since they were the first I believe. That doesn't mean that other cars don't have hard clears though. GM clear is generally pretty hard for example.

supercharged
09-12-2007, 04:48 AM
How do I determine whether or not my vehicle features the new scratch resistant clear coat. From what I have read it says 06 and newer vehicles but I see mainly Mercedes and Nissan in the Mezerna literature. Anyone know for sure if the newer Toyotas are using this new paint as well? Judging from the proliferation of scratches on my Rav4 I have a feeling the answer is no.

Pat.
Form what I've heard, Toyota is using a soft clear coat (if not the softest), and that is including Lexus...never had to polish one, so I won't tell you for sure...Harder or even scratch resistan clear coats are still scratchable...you should get scratches/washing swilrs on scratch resitstant clear coats though... Although a never had a car with scratch resistant clear, so I won't state for sure... Are you trying to polish the scratches out?

scottgt
09-12-2007, 10:42 AM
my xb is reallyyy soft...same comp...so prob same clear

richy
09-12-2007, 11:29 AM
To a certain degree, it's irrelevant whether the clear is hard or soft..you still need to correct the defects. Using a rotary is always the best for corrections. Having said that, a UDM with the right pad choice will probably do in most situations..it just may take you longer, that's all. BTW..did you know that U.S. clears used to be almost 1.5 times as thick? No longer though..the exchange rate is almost at par for clears..HAHAHA.

pricha00
09-12-2007, 04:58 PM
To a certain degree, it's irrelevant whether the clear is hard or soft..you still need to correct the defects. Using a rotary is always the best for corrections. Having said that, a UDM with the right pad choice will probably do in most situations..it just may take you longer, that's all. BTW..did you know that U.S. clears used to be almost 1.5 times as thick? No longer though..the exchange rate is almost at par for clears..HAHAHA.

Does that mean after another U.S. interest rate decline I will have more clear up here in Canada?? LOL And yes I am trying to remove some swirls and fine scratches. I have a feeling that the Optimum compound on am orange LC pad is not quite aggressive enough.

Pat.