PDA

View Full Version : WDGPS Advice

spewking
07-14-2015, 06:37 PM
Used WDGPS for the first time...on a white car. Tough to see where I'd applied!!

I aimed to apply thin via my flex. I used about 8 oz for an Acura MDX. Does that seem correct? I am assuming a thin coat is desired.

I plan to do a second coat after the 12 hours of cure time passes.

Thanks much.

Ebg18t
07-14-2015, 08:44 PM
You used 8 oz in 1 coat?

hoyt66
07-14-2015, 08:48 PM
You used 8 oz in 1 coat?

Yikes! I'm thinking half ounce tops. ... Hand application

spazzz
07-14-2015, 08:52 PM
This made me peer into my 16oz bottle to do a self check.
I have over half left by a little.

This is after doing my 04 Grand Prix in spring with 2 coats, then a follow up 6 weeks later after some sap hurt my feelings.
The red LC 5.5 CCS in spring and the black hybrid the last time soaked up a lot and cleaning them was no fun. I used my Flex both times.

Maybe next time I will rip the pad off, twist and wring the pad to try and resurface the sealant before I get to the end.
I check the pad for sufficient amount by the laying the pad on the glass(while machine is off) and confirming wetness.

On your Acura that does seem like an excessive amount.
I hope you bagged the pad to use for the second coat.

spewking
07-14-2015, 08:57 PM
Probably about 6 oz. Used a red pad.

You seem shocked? I guess that means I used too much!! :-)

I did take off the first coat just now...incredibly easy to remove and may be slicker than anything else I've used!!!

spazzz
07-14-2015, 09:05 PM
I double that slickness thought.
The good news is the second coat takes less!!

custmsprty
07-14-2015, 09:15 PM
That's enough to do about dozen cars. I had a sample bottle I took on a road job and sealed a Lexus LS460 which is a large vehicle using my Rupes Duetto and had 2/3 of the sample bottle left. So I'd say I used at most 3/4 oz.

spewking
07-14-2015, 09:24 PM
Ok...I'm overruled :-). Please be kind to a first time user.

I will lighten up on 2nd coat. I am very enthused about the shine, slickness, and the longevity. Exceeded my idea of what it would do.

custmsprty
07-14-2015, 09:29 PM

I will lighten up on 2nd coat. I am very enthused about the shine, slickness, and the longevity. Exceeded my idea of what it would do.

I'd say based upon how much you used on the first coat not much need for a second coat. Personally I only use one coat and in some cases I top with Fuzion for deeper gloss.

Mike Honcho
07-14-2015, 09:40 PM
Wolfgang is pleased you're using 8 oz. per car!

Ebg18t
07-15-2015, 05:15 AM
Probably about 6 oz. Used a red pad.

You seem shocked? I guess that means I used too much!! :-)

I did take off the first coat just now...incredibly easy to remove and may be slicker than anything else I've used!!!

You really don't need much, I am guessing that your applicator pad was quite heavy and saturated by the end.

If you want yo a second coat it won't hurt anything, but with most these quality sealants we do a second coat to insure proper & complete coverage. If it were me I would probably wait a few months before I did another coat.

spewking
07-15-2015, 08:43 PM

Just completed the 2nd coat and used approx. 1 oz. I had to really work at putting just a dot on the pad for each section.

Thought the crowd would be proud.

custmsprty
07-15-2015, 08:44 PM
Good job!