PDA

View Full Version : Can I use these with a PC or UDM?

skenzer
09-11-2007, 12:01 PM
Is it generally ok to use cleaners/wax/polishes with a PC or UDM that are intended to be applied by hand? Or is it necessary to purchase chemicals designed specifically for machine applications?
thanks

joe.p
09-11-2007, 12:08 PM
i don't own a UDM so i can't comment on applying LSP with it but i'm sure you can...i usualy apply waxes/glazes by hand.. there are many here who have used a PC to apply a LSP with a finishing pad with nice results..some say it is faster and applys a nice thin layer ..give both methods a try this way you can see what works best for you..

budman3
09-11-2007, 01:07 PM
If you keep the speeds down and use a finishing pad and you'll be fine. The PC and UDM were designed to mimic the motion of your hand when sanding or in our case, polishing or applying waxes. It is just a tool to make the job easier and faster. However, there are still many members who can lay down a nice thin layer of product just as quickly and have the satisfaction of doing it by hand. Pretty much user preference.

Truls
09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Any "by hand" produckt can be aplied with the PC/UDM, soft pad, low speed....

its when it comes to the rotary machine that you have to be more aware of what you use.

But as budman says, something is easyer doing by hand than the PC/UDM. i usualy always put the LSP on by hand/polish pal

trlblazer3
09-13-2007, 08:03 AM
like budman said, its really user preference. If I'm working on an SUV with lots of flat panels, I'll apply by machine as I can cover more ground faster. If the panels have a lot of tight contours/spaces, then I'll do it by hand to ensure fully coverage. If you use a machine just make sure to use a finishing pad and low speed and you'll be set.

FMINUS
09-13-2007, 09:24 AM
:iagree: speed 2 w a blue/gray/red pad

like budman said, its really user preference. If I'm working on an SUV with lots of flat panels, I'll apply by machine as I can cover more ground faster. If the panels have a lot of tight contours/spaces, then I'll do it by hand to ensure fully coverage. If you use a machine just make sure to use a finishing pad and low speed and you'll be set.

Pauly6401
09-13-2007, 09:28 AM
I've found that you end up using more product with the PC or UDM than you would when applying it by hand, especially if it's a liquid and not a solid wax. That could be because I'm not all that experienced in using the machine method, though.

Plus, putting it on by hand makes me feel like I did something :)

richy
09-14-2007, 07:44 AM
And of course the ultimate "by hand" method is literally putting it on with your palms.;)