PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fiber parts

LSNAutoDetailing
07-13-2015, 09:14 AM
First question: Does anyone know if Dodge Vipers have carbon fiber parts, i.e. hood? etc?

Second Question: I know that CF does not distribute heat, thus could burn the clear/paint.
What would be a good technique for paint correction on CF parts?

If I were to guess, I would say get a temp reading prior to paint correction, do maybe two section passes on a 16"x16" spot inspect the work, if good consider it done, if not, move on to a sheet metal surface, come back to carbon fiber, check the temp again and do two more section passes. But never stay on it for 6 to 8 passes.

Am I on the right track here? Mike how do you handle carbon fiber?

Mittenz
08-29-2015, 12:03 PM
Bump.

This never got answered and I have a friend with some CF parts including a hood. Do I treat it like any other part of the car?

MikeLW
08-29-2015, 12:27 PM
Carbon fibre hoods, door panels, etc are usually combined with an epoxy resin or a plastic polymer to hold their shape. A clear coat is then added to the top of that to protect it. I would follow the least agressive method of polishing first... Just like you would on the clear coat over basecoat of a car.

Mike@ShineStruck
08-29-2015, 06:22 PM
I literaly just did the Carbon Fiber hood on my maverick, which was all swirled up
BOSS G21
Speed 4
Boss 6.5 orange pad
3D HD Adapt
4 passes
Perfect

Mittenz
08-29-2015, 06:37 PM
I literaly just did the Carbon Fiber hood on my maverick, which was all swirled up
BOSS G21
Speed 4
Boss 6.5 orange pad
3D HD Adapt
4 passes
Perfect
Great thanks!

ross93
08-30-2015, 10:46 PM
I'm assuming the cf is aftermarket....it may not have clear coat. My vis (same as sebon) went to #### after a few years due to never coming with a clear coat. I'm in the process of sanding and then clear coating

Mike Phillips
08-31-2015, 09:03 AM
First question: Does anyone know if Dodge Vipers have carbon fiber parts, i.e. hood? etc?

Second Question: I know that CF does not distribute heat, thus could burn the clear/paint.

What would be a good technique for paint correction on CF parts?

If I were to guess, I would say get a temp reading prior to paint correction, do maybe two section passes on a 16"x16" spot inspect the work, if good consider it done, if not, move on to a sheet metal surface, come back to carbon fiber, check the temp again and do two more section passes.

But never stay on it for 6 to 8 passes.

Am I on the right track here? Mike how do you handle carbon fiber?

Sorry I just now found this thread.... :dunno: I try to check this forum every day but so busy all the time.

Here's the deal with carbon fiber panels or fiberglass panels or SMC which stands for sheet molding composites.

Just don't buff in one area for too long and you'll be okay. The heat/damage issue is really only an issue when using a rotary buffer and buffing small areas.

(Don't ask me how I know)

If you're using any type of dual action polisher then you'll be okay as long as you don't make 100 section passes to an area 16" by 16".

And click the link below and read my article on how to check surface temperatures without a infrared thermo gun.

Fight or Flight Method for Gaging Surface Temperature (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/wet-sanding-cutting-buffing/22325-fight-flight-method-gaging-surface-temperature.html)

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/715/HandOnFire01.jpg

:)