PDA

View Full Version : Some information on pH and wheel cleaners

Pages : [1] 2

Thejoyofdriving
09-11-2007, 10:24 AM
http://www.patentstorm.us/images/spacer.gif Neutral pH wheel cleaner

US Patent Issued on January 23, 1990 (http://www.patentstorm.us/patents-by-date/1990/0123-1.html) Inventor(s)

No. 287120 filed on 1988-12-21

Description

BACKGROUND OF THE INVENTION

1. Field of the Invention

The present invention relates to automobile wheel cleaning, and more particularly to a wheel cleaner having a neutral pH and an internal buffering ability to neutralize effects of brake dust and road acids or alkalies.

2. Description of the Prior Art

Modern, highly styled automobiles may have wheels formed from light metal alloys, predominately aluminum. These alloys are sensitive to highly acidic and highly alkaline substances which can cause damage thereto. Therefore, such wheels are given a protective coating by the manufacturer. All vehicle and aftermarket wheel manufacturers recommend frequent cleaning of the wheels to prevent build up of harmful materials. For example, heated particles from brake pads and discs bombard the coated wheel surfaces, producing a highly adhesive, rough build up. Dirt from roads and unpaved areas easily adhere to the rough build up, and contain salts and acids. In the presence of moisture, the coatings become destroyed and severe damage of the wheels follows.

Brake dust may have a pH in the range of 8 to 10, while road salt may produce an acid pH in the 3 to 4 range, and soil and dirt an alkaline pH of 8 to 10. The adhesive build up cannot be removed by high pressure water alone, and a cleaner must be used. The cleaner itself must not be highly acid or alkaline to prevent damage to the protective wheel coatings.

A survey of 14 commercially available wheel cleaners indicated pH values over a range of 1.0 to 13.5. Considering values of pH between 6 and 8 to be satisfactory, only one of those tested fell within this range. It is also important that, during use of a cleaner, acidic or alkaline soil being removed does not significantly change the cleaner pH. Therefore, in addition to measurement of pH, each cleaner was tested to determine the effectiveness of any buffering properties by adding acid and alkali to each. The one acceptable cleaner, which was essentially neutral, had no neutralizing action, having a pH of 1.5 for added acid and 12.5 for added alkali.

There is an unfilled need for a cleaner for coated alloy wheels having a pH in the 6-8 range, which includes effective buffering for both acid and alkali contaminants.

SUMMARY OF THE INVENTION

The present invention is an improved coated alloy wheel cleaner which is essentially neutral pH in the range of pH 7.5+0.5 and which provides strong buffering action for acid and alkalis. The cleaner may be considered as a detergent and emulsifier; and includes water, a builder, a surfactant, a stabilizer, a clarifier or mild abrasive, and a fragrance. The formulation is an excellent hard surface cleaner which is safe to use on clear coated alloy wheels and painted surfaces. The preferred builder and surfactant interact to produce strong buffering. With 10 cc of 0.1N hydrochloric acid added to 50 grams of the cleaner of the invention, a pH of 7.7 changed to 7.8. When 10 cc of 0.25N sodium hydroxide was added to 25 grams of the cleaner, the pH increased to 8.6. These tests indicate the efficiency of the buffering action.

It is therefore a principal object of the invention to provide a cleaner of alloy and coated vehicle wheels having an essentially neutral pH and which is buffered against the action of acidic brake dust and alkaline road buildup.

It is another object of the invention to provide a vehicle wheel cleaner which will not harm alloy wheels or protective coatings on such wheels.

These and other objects and advantages of the invention will become evident from the following detailed description.

DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF THE PREFERRED EMBODIMENT

The preferred embodiment of the invention contains a surfactant agent, a builder, a solubilizer, a clarifier and a fragrance in a water solution. However, as will be discussed hereinbelow, certain omissions and substitutions may be made.

EXAMPLE 1

1. The builder, used in a preferred formulation, may be selected from the group of alkali metal phosphates comprising: sodium tripolyphosphate; tetrasodium pyrophosphate; sodium hexametaphosphate; trisodium phosphate; potassium tripolyphosphate; tripotassium phosphate; and tetrapotassium pyrophosphate. Water, in an amount of 54.4%±5% by weight, has 10% ±4% by weight of builder dissolved therein which produces a pH in excess of 10. A preferred builder is tetrapotassium pyrophosphate, available as TKPP from FMC corporation of Philadelphia, Pa.

2. A solubilizer and buffer, the sodium salt of sulfonate oleic acid is mixed in an amount of 25% +10% by weight which adjusts the pH to 7.5 ±0.5, acts as part of a buffer system, and performs as a solubilizing agent for stability and uniformity. The preferred product is sold under the trade name SUL-FON-ATE OA-5 by Tennessee Chemical Co., Atlanta, GA.

3. An anionic, nonionic, or amphotoric surfactant is added. A biodegradable anionic surfactant may be selected from the group comprising: sodium salts of sulfonated dodecylbenzene and; potassium salts of sulfonated dodecylbenzene; A preferred anionic surfactant useful in this invention is Calsoft F-90 sold by Pilot Chemical of Santa Fe Springs, CA 90670 which is added in an amount of 10%±3% by weight. A preferred

nonionic surfactant is a 9-10 mole ethylene oxide adduct to either octylphenol or nonylphenol. Surfonic N-100, available from Texaco Chemical Co. of Dellaire, Texas, is a suitable nonionic surfactant and is added in an amount of 10%±3% by weight. The nonionic surfactants are not soluble in solutions containing high concentrations of dissolved electrolytes. In the present formulation, the SUL-FON-ATE OA5 used to adjust the pH is a hydrotrope and solubilizing agent, and also serves to dissolve the nonionic surfactant in a high concentration of dissolved electrolytes. The unique solubility characteristic produces a synergistic effect resulting in improved cleaning.

4. A clarifier selected from the group comprising: ethylene glycol; glycerine; butyl cellosolve; hexylene glycol; and isopropyl alcohol may be added in an amount from 0% to 10% by weight. The clarifier serves to add "sparkle" to the formulation and to improve freeze-thaw and heat stability.

EXAMPLE 2

The formulation of EXAMPLE 1 has 1% to 10% by weight of an abrasive added thereto. The abrasive is selected from the group comprising: a natural diatomite; and a flux calcined diatomite. Natural diatomite is available as Kaopolite SF from Kaopolite, Inc., Union, New Jersey, and flux calcined diatomite is sold by Manville Products, Denver, Colorado. The abrasives have a particle size of 0.5 to 1.0 microns and a Mohs hardness in the range of 4 to 8.

EXAMPLE 3

The formulations of EXAMPLES 1 and 2 have a bland, natural odor. A fragrance selected from the group comprising: primary amylacetate, pine oil; cherry scents; and citrus scents is added to the formulation of EXAMPLE 1 and EXAMPLE 2 in an amount of 0.1% to 1.0% by weight.

As will be understood, when the preferred formulation is used, the user sprays the full strength liquid onto a cool, dry wheel surface. At that point, the cleaner begins to neutralize any high pH brake dust and road soil to within the 7 to 8 pH range. Similarly, road salt which may be acidic is also neutralized to the desired pH range. The neutralizing action requires about 6 to 8 minutes. After this period, the cleaner is rinsed off with clear water with he detergent action removing the brake dust, road soil and road salt.

Although specific formulations of the wheel cleaner of the invention have been shown, these are for exemplary purposes and various changes in percentages and elements thereof may be made without departing from the spirit and scope of the invention.

Thejoyofdriving
09-11-2007, 10:29 AM
THE MAKINGS OF A GOOD WHEEL CLEANER
What makes a good wheel cleaner? If you read popular wheel cleaner advertisements, you’d be convinced a cleaner that doesn’t contain any cleaners at all might be best. The common claims are “no acids,” “no lyes,” “no petroleum distillates,” “no harmful detergents,” and “neutral pH.”

Let’s first address the issue of pH. A neutral pH is 7 on the pH scale (the scale ranges from 0 to 14, where 0 is pure acid and 14 is pure alkaline). The substance that has a neutral pH is pure water.

If a wheel cleaner has pH controls, the proper terminology is pH controlled. This simply means the cleaner contains buffers or neutralizers that bring the cleaner closer to neutral when mixed with water. A buffered cleaner is likely to be safer than a cleaner that does not use buffers.

I prefer a wheel cleaner with a pH between 9 and 12. Wheel cleaners with a pH below 7 (in the acid range) are harsh on paint, rubber, vinyl and untreated metal. While cleaners higher in the pH range will cause rubber and skin to dry out from repeated exposure, they are far less likely to cause wheel damage than acids.

A good wheel cleaner provides lubrication for safe cleaning. Brake dust is not only corrosive, it’s very abrasive. When you use a brush or sponge to clean your wheel, if the wheel cleaner does not provide sufficient lubrication, the surface of the wheel will be scratched. Over time, the fine scratching will dull the finish.

A wheel cleaner should have a long dwell-time, or “hang time.” If a wheel cleaner persists, and does not run off immediately, you can give it time to work on the brake dust so it loosens. If a wheel cleaner has a short dwell-time, it will simply run off onto the drive way and the remainder will rapidly dry on the wheel. There are two ways chemists can improve dwell-time. The first way is to make it thick, like a gel. The second way is to use a foaming sprayer that causes the cleaner to foam on the wheel surface. Both methods seem to work equally well; however, I believe the foaming sprayer also decreases the amount of cleaner required to cover the tire and wheel.-autopia

ScottB
09-11-2007, 03:40 PM
have you ever checked whats in the water and kool-aid you drink also ?? (j/k)

Strokin04
09-11-2007, 04:28 PM
I think JOD needs to make a wheel cleaner.

trhland
09-11-2007, 04:29 PM
i havnt read that much since i was in school dang. nice job though

budman3
09-11-2007, 04:49 PM
This means nothing to me because most companys don't say what their pH is and what types of ingredients they use. I've heard that it is very difficult to get an accurate readings of pH. Plus this is detailing not science... I'll stick to the products I've tested and worked. If I find that a product could potentially cause damage, I'll use that product in moderation. I'd much rather be in the garage detailing and learning that way than worrying about whats in certain products. Its the results that ultimately matter.

coupe
09-11-2007, 04:53 PM
This means nothing to me because most companys don't say what their pH is and what types of ingredients they use. I've heard that it is very difficult to get an accurate readings of pH. Plus this is detailing not science... I'll stick to the products I've tested and worked. If I find that a product could potentially cause damage, I'll use that product in moderation. I'd much rather be in the garage detailing and learning that way than worrying about whats in certain products. Its the results that ultimately matter.

Exactly what i was thinking

trhland
09-11-2007, 05:09 PM
he manly posted this because i had quistions about high volume detailing products that contain high ph and are caustic. and if there safe or not

coupe
09-11-2007, 06:30 PM
Of all people to ask, he isnt one of them IMO

Thejoyofdriving
09-11-2007, 09:03 PM
I think JOD needs to make a wheel cleaner.

I actually would really like to make my own line of detailing products. The truth is, I wouldnt even know where to start, and i dont think it is a realistic goal. But it would be nice, I would sleep much better at night.

Thejoyofdriving
09-11-2007, 09:19 PM
Of all people to ask, he isnt one of them IMO

First of all dont act like you know me. You have less than 200 posts so its not like to participate much in these forums. I dont think you are qualified to say who is a good person to ask or not. I have tried very hard to help trhland. Why dont you go talk to some of my customers if you doubt my knowledge and or work. I am a highly regarded and recommended exotic car detailer in my area, the truth is that you make such comments with out really knowing me at all or even meet me face to face. Reserve such comments for people you truly know, not someone which you have read a few posts from on an internet forum.

TOGWT
09-12-2007, 03:32 AM
I comment your effort and the research that went into this thread to help answer a question from a fellow contributor to this forum.

Only comment I would add would be to try to balance scientific data provided to actual information asked as for most people too much technical info does not answer their question.

The point I’m trying to make is; to tell them what a product contains and any potential pitfalls or potential problems is a good thing, but also ensure you also tell them how to use the product in a real life situation. i.e. this product has a low pH, which means it is acidic and may cause problems with a paint surface, however if you use a product ( product X) that has a higher pH there is little if any potential for harm.

supercharged
09-12-2007, 04:31 AM
I actually would really like to make my own line of detailing products. The truth is, I wouldnt even know where to start, and i dont think it is a realistic goal. But it would be nice, I would sleep much better at night.
In case you will start making your own detailing products, I wanna be the first one to ask for samples...

And speaking of a good wheel cleaner (ph neutral) - P21S gel...It's a perfect wheel cleaner, but is a little pricey...

TOGWT
09-12-2007, 02:18 PM
Quote: I actually would really like to make my own line of detailing products. The truth is, I wouldnt even know where to start, and i dont think it is a realistic goal. But it would be nice, I would sleep much better at night.

You could come up with the formulation ( you might want to bush up on Chem 101 & 102 first ;) ) and than ask a chemical mfg company like Chemical Guys to make it for you (saves you having to build a chemical plant or mixing chems in a bathtub).

budman3
09-12-2007, 02:28 PM
tell them what a product contains and any potential pitfalls or potential problems is a good thing, but also ensure you also tell them how to use the product in a real life situation. i.e. this product has a low pH, which means it is acidic and may cause problems with a paint surface, however if you use a product ( product X) that has a higher pH there is little if any potential for harm.

I could see this type of information beneficial.