PDA

View Full Version : New with questions?

Pages : [1] 2

Grch412
07-12-2015, 08:02 PM
Ok , i have a white 2008 honda Odyssey that has only been waxed a few times. So my plan is to wash it and clay bar it. I have been reading a little on here and im planning on compounding and then polish? With wax for the end result? ( please correct me if im wrong). I plan on using Meguiars products since i can get them local. I was digging through my tools and forgot i have a portacable 7424 non xp. So that being said im lost on what pads i sould buy color wise. I would like to use the portacable through out the process if all possible. I live in florida and the owner before me i dont think he ever waxed it ect. Im not looking to be a pro but i think i could make it look better than the crap job honda did on it for 130$. Thanks for any info and direction. Oh and micro fiber? Different kinds some better than others? Thanks Steve

mwoolfso
07-13-2015, 04:59 AM
Ok , i have a white 2008 honda Odyssey that has only been waxed a few times. So my plan is to wash it and clay bar it. I have been reading a little on here and im planning on compounding and then polish? With wax for the end result? ( please correct me if im wrong).

What is the condition of the paint? Pics would help but in general wash and clay are in the right order; then you compound IF and only IF a test spot with just using the polish does not meet your expectations. In fact, why not try two test spots... 1) just polish... 2) compound and then polish... Compare #1 and #2 and make your decision from there.

I plan on using Meguiars products since i can get them local. I was digging through my tools and forgot i have a portacable 7424 non xp. So that being said im lost on what pads i sould buy color wise. I would like to use the portacable through out the process if all possible. I live in florida and the owner before me i dont think he ever waxed it ect.

The pad color is not the critical identifier here. It is whether or not you use cutting, polishing or finishing pads. Pad choice really depends on the paint condition and the process you lock-in based on test spots. In general, sight-unseen, 3 polishing and 3 cutting pads would probably be OK.

Aside from the 3-and-3 numbers I would start off with let me give you another set of options to consider. If you have never detailed before then you probably want to try an AIO first with some AIO or polishing pads. My recommendation would be Meguiars ColorX and a few AIO or polishing pads. You will wind up saving time and money on this first go-around and if you are not fully satisfied after the detail you can always step-up into more aggressive products and processes that take a little more time.

Im not looking to be a pro but i think i could make it look better than the crap job honda did on it for 130$. Thanks for any info and direction. Oh and micro fiber? Different kinds some better than others? Thanks Steve

Mike Phillips
07-13-2015, 06:56 AM
i have a portacable 7424 non xp. So that being said im lost on what pads i sould buy color wise.

Thanks Steve

The first generation Porter Cables de-swirled millions of cars. Lucky for you there are now smaller, thinner pads that will work better (rotate better), than the larger thicker pads that were all we had back when the Porter Cable was first introduced from the wood sanding world to the paint polishing world.

Currently the thinnest foam pads you can buy are the Meguiar's thin foam discs.

Here's a review and also an extreme makeover showing these pads in action and somewhere in the thread is the link to purchase them at the AG store.

You'll also want to get the matching backing plate.

NEW! Meguiar’s Foam Buffing Discs (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/rough-draft/86336-new-meguiar-s-foam-buffing-discs.html)

Read this one too....

How to divide larger body panels into smaller sections for machine buffing (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/74401-how-divide-larger-body-panels-into-smaller-sections-machine-buffing.html)

And this one too....

Video: Mark your backing plate to make it easy to see pad rotation (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-car-garage-how-videos/49489-video-mark-your-backing-plate-make-easy-see-pad-rotation.html)

And here's a step-by-step using the first generation Porter Cable

How to MAXIMIZE your DA Polisher (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/how-articles/27166-how-maximize-your-da-polisher.html)

Since this was your first post...

Welcome to AGO!

:welcome:

Grch412
10-18-2015, 06:22 PM

Sent from my D6708 using Tapatalk

Grch412
10-18-2015, 06:29 PM
Ok been a while still no pads but here what I'm dealing with. White van with these stains. I wash the car and the don't go away. I started clay baring and I tried alcohol on these spot that look stained and it seems to really help. Is this the right step? I would like to compound the car and then polish and wax. I'm wondering if some of the stains would leave with the compounding stage? The car was feeling chaulky until the clay bar seemed to help. Any pointer would help and I will start looking into the above references.

Grch412
10-18-2015, 06:32 PM
There's very light scratches in the paint not all over but mostly by the doors and hood. Mini van 2 kids who run wild lol.

GSKR
10-18-2015, 08:07 PM
Is it single stage ,or conventional base coat clear coat.A lot of white accords oddesey and some crv in white are single stage.

Grch412
10-18-2015, 08:44 PM
I am not sure? It's a 2008. I will have to do some research I guess.

Grch412
10-18-2015, 09:08 PM
Ok so from what I'm reading it single stage. Seems like that is common. So I guess that changes how I need to address this?

Grch412
10-18-2015, 09:14 PM
Which would make sense on the white chaulky?

DaveT435
10-18-2015, 09:17 PM
Ok so from what I'm reading it single stage. Seems like that is common. So I guess that changes how I need to address this?

I'm on my iPad so can't see the picture real well, but that kind of looks like pearl white to me. Is it pearl white or just a plain white?

Grch412
10-18-2015, 09:19 PM
Just plan white. Was the only good picture I could get with a stain.

Grch412
10-18-2015, 09:27 PM
Paint code it NH578 taffeta white on an 08 Honda Odyssey.

DaveT435
10-18-2015, 09:46 PM
Just plan white. Was the only good picture I could get with a stain.

Ok, Oxidation can be a pain. I haven't worked on Honda single stage. I have worked on Toyota and ended up going with a rotary and wool. The best pad I can think of for that machine would be Lake Country Flat pads or the Meguiars thin pads. That maroon Meguiars pad is probably going to be best at removing oxidation. I would go with something like Menzerna FG400 that hS a long working time with no dusting. Lots of options for polish. 3D polish would be a good choice. Obviously you'll need polishing pads

Grch412
10-18-2015, 09:53 PM
So even with the single stage the same steps apply. Compound, polish and then wax? Was gonna go with the thin 5in meguiar pads. How many pads should I be buying for like the maroon? I hand rubbed it with polish pretty damn hard and it really didn't do any to the finish.