PDA

View Full Version : Pads with Sealant /Polish

RandyD
07-12-2015, 05:37 PM
I have one red foam pad with sealant and another black foam pad with polish on it. I usually wash them with dawn and squeeze out the sealant but it seems never rending. Can I put each foam pad in a sealed plastic bag until the next use with the same product or will that create a problem?

shagnat
07-12-2015, 07:36 PM
Great question!! Outside of buying about six (or more) of each pad someone needs.... that may be a good option.

swanicyouth
07-12-2015, 07:44 PM
This is the main reason I don't apply LSPs via machine. Because it's a PIA to clean the pads out 100% - however, it can be done with mineral spirits followed by IPA.

Something about storing used pads soaked with old product in a bag turns me off. Nothing is ever 100% clean, be it a panel or your environment - so the pad is picking up some dirt.

I always want to start with a clean and fresh pad (not necessarily new). I would imagine mildew could form on the pad - as this can happen if you put wet pads away.

Once again, it depends on how picky you are. If you've seen the condition some of the pads body shops use to buff out cars are in - it looks like they used them to clean the floor.

Paul A.
07-13-2015, 09:50 AM
I also dedicate pads to my sealants and waxes. After use, i wash them out and let dry fully beofre putting them back in their labeled bag. I treat them the same as my cut/buff/polish pads and don't overly analyze how surgically clean they are and have never had a problem.

I am sure there is some residual material left in them but once they are fully dry they get put away. An inspection before next use (with that same product) and away we go.

shagnat
07-15-2015, 01:42 AM
This is the main reason I don't apply LSPs via machine. Because it's a PIA to clean the pads out 100% - however, it can be done with mineral spirits followed by IPA.

Something about storing used pads soaked with old product in a bag turns me off. Nothing is ever 100% clean, be it a panel or your environment - so the pad is picking up some dirt.

I always want to start with a clean and fresh pad (not necessarily new). I would imagine mildew could form on the pad - as this can happen if you put wet pads away.

Once again, it depends on how picky you are. If you've seen the condition some of the pads body shops use to buff out cars are in - it looks like they used them to clean the floor.
What is your method of applying LSPs?

shagnat
07-15-2015, 10:59 PM
What is your method of applying LSPs?
+1

custmsprty
07-15-2015, 11:22 PM
Hand pads I tossem, machine pads I washem.

ski2
07-16-2015, 07:36 AM
I use B&S red hand pads to apply LSPs and usually toss them as it's a PIA to clean them out. However, I recently applied FK1000 which is one of the worst to remove from pads. Soaked them in a Dawn solution for a few hours, sqeezed them out, sprayed with Awesome Orange Degreaser from the Dollar Store then washed them in this pad washer http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-tools-accessories/93286-my-ghetto-pad-washer-2.html#post1272451 designed by swanicyouth. They came out good as new.

7.3powerstroke
07-16-2015, 08:11 AM
Ive started using engine degreaser to clean my pads