PDA

View Full Version : Polishing BMW Shadowline Trim

ch35iM
07-12-2015, 12:34 AM
Was working on the my Alpine white BMW X3 today. Hit the roof with megs ultimate compound and ultimate polish (very underrated combo) and it came out beautifully! But I noticed that the roof rails, in gloss "shadowline" black still had some haze and light swirls in them. I ran the UP with a white pad over a test spot again and nothing improved... why does the UP finish up so nicely on the paint but not on the (also painted) roof rails??? Could the paint be that soft that even UP doesn't finish nicely?

conman1395
07-12-2015, 12:43 AM
Was working on the my Alpine white BMW X3 today. Hit the roof with megs ultimate compound and ultimate polish (very underrated combo) and it came out beautifully! But I noticed that the roof rails, in gloss "shadowline" black still had some haze and light swirls in them. I ran the UP with a white pad over a test spot again and nothing improved... why does the UP finish up so nicely on the paint but not on the (also painted) roof rails??? Could the paint be that soft that even UP doesn't finish nicely?
Might it be that the pad isn't even rotating and therefore not correcting?

I'd just hit those up by hand.

trekkeruss
07-12-2015, 01:23 AM
why does the UP finish up so nicely on the paint but not on the (also painted) roof rails??? Could the paint be that soft that even UP doesn't finish nicely?

Are you certain thy are painted, and not some other finish or material?

SKorch630
07-12-2015, 02:26 AM
they almost look like a painted plastic?

ch35iM
07-12-2015, 09:59 AM
Are you certain thy are painted, and not some other finish or material?

I'm not positive but they look like paint...

ch35iM
07-12-2015, 10:01 AM
they almost look like a painted plastic?

Maybe? I don't know what it's made of I just figured since it had the same gloss as the paint I would treat it like paint..

originalgoods13
07-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Its black paint I was able to remove using M105

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-13-2015, 01:06 PM
Try changing to a black pad with UP. The white pad may be too aggressive and not having the ability to finish up properly on those rails.

ch35iM
07-13-2015, 01:59 PM
Try changing to a black pad with UP. The white pad may be too aggressive and not having the ability to finish up properly on those rails.

That was my thought to try next, just ordered some black pads.. I never use those normally, white usually finishes perfect (or the yellow megs polishing pads which I also was using).

Audios S6
07-13-2015, 02:32 PM
The paint on shadowline trim is very thin. I've got a car coming up where the previous detailer burned through it on the top edge of an 2009 335. Owner asked me to touch it up for him. I made no promises, so we'll see how that goes. Not sure it's a urethane/acrlic or maybe powdercoat.