PDA

View Full Version : Need help choosing the best product(s) to protect my new Jeep...

Jed Clampett
07-11-2015, 11:43 PM
I have a rather unique situation, and I'm hoping to score some good advice.

[1] Live & travel in a Motorhome full time.
[2] Do not have a sticks-n-bricks home, and do not have a garage.
[3] So my vehicle (sadly) lives out in the elements 100% of the time.
[4] Many/most of the campgrounds I stay in DO NOT allow guests to wash vehicles -- so I'm stuck using roadside DIY car washes.
[5] Just bought a new, red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon.
[6] It IS a Jeep, and I am going to use it off-road frequently, but I want to minimize damage from mud, dust, rocks, swirls, rain spots, and constant UV rays as much as possible (without being OCD about it).

http://i.imgur.com/2y2Ieut.jpg

So the question...
What product(s) should I use to:
[A] Protect the gloss and color long term (4 - 6 months)?
Reinforce the clear coat and help to prevent scratches?
[C] Make it faster/easier to wash at a roadside car wash (brushless, of course)?

[B]My thoughts...
I have been reading a lot on this forum about waxes, sealants, glazes, coatings, etc... But I haven't been able to determine which of these products can take the type of abuse I regularly encounter (desert sun and sand storms to mountain snows).

I'm thinking a layerable nano ceramic coating sounds like the best solution for more extreme protection. But ???

I saw this video for a coating called "Bullet Proof" which is the most impressive thing I've seen... but I can't seem to find any long-term reviews of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9oEbhyVzA

Anyone have feedback on that product? Or is that video just a hoax?

It seems coating products by Optimum, CQuartz, and DP get most of the attention around here... but are those coatings TOUGH? ...I need TOUGH (long-lasting) protection more than pristine showroom shine.

Thoughts?

01GreyStangGT
07-12-2015, 06:47 AM
Make sure you use DLux on your plastic trim to keep from fading.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-12-2015, 06:57 AM
I don't think any of these are going to protect you in a 4x4 environment.

If i were living like you I'd cquartz and top with reload after every wash.

When the paint starts looking rough find a detailer wherever you are to do a correction.

Billy Baldone
07-12-2015, 08:41 AM
Maybe just find a Geeker that can help you out by getting a high quality coating on there. And maybe even look into a full clear bra for the Jeep.

trekkeruss
07-12-2015, 08:48 AM
It would be thousands of dollars, but you could have all the painted surfaced wrapped in paint protection film.

Ebg18t
07-12-2015, 08:52 AM
Find a local pro to apply OptiCoat Pro or CQuartz Finest.

The just maintain with a quality rinsless wash as needed. Power wash at a car wash to get the worst off first before the rinsless.

Jed Clampett
07-15-2015, 09:26 PM
Thank you for the replies everyone. I hadn't really thought about the paint protection film.

I'm having a difficult time choosing between all the coating options.

Does anyone have any experience with that C.A.R. "Bullet Proof" product? That video seems to be pretty impressive, but I can't tell if it's a hoax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_z9oEbhyVzA

custmsprty
07-15-2015, 09:56 PM
Coat it and don't worry about it, it's a jeep, drive it like it was meant to be driven and have fun.

Mask
07-15-2015, 10:17 PM
Cars are meant to be driven :D
"Frequent care is easy care"

Billy Baldone
07-16-2015, 03:56 AM
Someone on here is doing a long term test on the Bulletproof, after 2 months it failed after a claybar.

Jed Clampett
07-16-2015, 09:13 PM
Someone on here is doing a long term test on the Bulletproof, after 2 months it failed after a claybar.
Yeah, I read that thread... That's what makes me wonder about the veracity of the video I posted earlier. Wishful thinking I guess.

So I guess I'm off to research other ceramic coatings. Wish there was a way to cut through the marketing hype and get some real-world, long-term results.

Perhaps I'll have to setup my own test(s).

Billy Baldone
07-16-2015, 09:20 PM
I currently am using a ceramic coating, but it isn't sold by AG. But the water sure BEEDS, nicely