PDA

View Full Version : Sorry for the new question on Cleaner Wax

JayClark79
07-11-2015, 06:20 PM
Ok I don't use a cleaner wax at the moment but iv been considering it... I was under the impression a cleaner wax was a single step wax?

Iv seen 2 different local detailers say they are applying cleaner wax, then polishing, then applying wax....

Now why would one do this? I thought a cleaner wax did a minimal amount t of polishing, and waxing in 1 step.

Zubair
07-11-2015, 06:50 PM
You are correct, it cleans, polishes and protects in one step. Polishing after a cleaner wax makes no sense.

VISITOR
07-11-2015, 08:04 PM
I was under the impression a cleaner wax was a single step wax?

technically it is, after you wash and clay then you apply and AIO/Cleaner wax and call it a day. some like to top it anyways for added protection. in this case, I would just top it with a spray wax after I remove it, otherwise it would make more sense to do a dedicated polish and then apply your lsp which would be two steps...

dschia
07-12-2015, 12:49 AM
My guess is there are alot of dirt stain, old paint/ wax that the clay process alone cannot remove and using an abrasive polishing on such surface will saturate the pad really quick. In this instance, you really need to have extremely good habit by cleaning or changing the pad frequently - sometimes as much as doing it every pass you polish.

Cleaner wax help you to remove majority of the grime that claying/IPA/degreaser often fail to do so in a quick and forgiving manner. In most cases, you can easily remove the cleaner wax even if you dont "breakdown" the polish. Polishing afterwards will be smooth and less finicky. The drawback however is in the process of 'cleaning' the paint, you have now also apply a thin wax on the panel and you need to experiment how it react with your polish process.

If there is a product that works like car shampoo yet with the cleaning properties of a cleaner polish, that would be awesome. ^^

shagnat
07-12-2015, 01:29 AM
I used a cleaner wax one time (to remain unnamed) and didn't like it. I'd prefer to do a clay bar and don't know if there is an advantage one way or the other.... I just like the smoothness clay baring feels on my car vs the cleaner wax. Just my 2 cents.

trekkeruss
07-12-2015, 01:34 AM
I used a cleaner wax one time (to remain unnamed) and didn't like it. I'd prefer to do a clay bar and don't know if there is an advantage one way or the other.... I just like the smoothness clay baring feels on my car vs the cleaner wax. Just my 2 cents.

They are not one and the same. Clay will only to remove above surface contaminants. Cleaner wax will do that too, but it will remove below surface stains and contaminants as well. Regardless, it is safer to clay before using a cleaner wax.

KBsToy
07-12-2015, 04:41 AM
I just used Menzerna 3 in 1 with good results on wife`s van as stated above spry wax on top will help also.

mwoolfso
07-12-2015, 12:49 PM
Ok I don't use a cleaner wax at the moment but iv been considering it... I was under the impression a cleaner wax was a single step wax?

Iv seen 2 different local detailers say they are applying cleaner wax, then polishing, then applying wax....

Now why would one do this? I thought a cleaner wax did a minimal amount t of polishing, and waxing in 1 step.

In my opinion it's the last statement I highlighted that I subscribe to wholeheartedly. Your local detailers are either uninformed, inexperienced or both.

I'll use a cleaner wax and then top with Optimum Spray Wax. I don't go to this often but in a pinch it helps when I want to save some time on the waxing step. Cleaner waxes do a very good job of picking-up dirt from the paint, the polishing impacts are pretty much nil.

JayClark79
07-13-2015, 03:11 AM
Both of these places have physical locations, I wonder if they are just putting it down and just not doing it all?.... That or they are completely uninformed.

shagnat
07-13-2015, 10:30 AM
They are not one and the same. Clay will only to remove above surface contaminants. Cleaner wax will do that too, but it will remove below surface stains and contaminants as well. Regardless, it is safer to clay before using a cleaner wax.
When I finished with the cleaner wax, the finish still had the rough feel, unlike with a clay bar where it is smooth. So, why does the cleaner wax feel rough and the clay bar smooth IF the cleaner wax is doing a better job of cleaning? I'm really confused.

Mike Phillips
07-13-2015, 10:39 AM
When I finished with the cleaner wax, the finish still had the rough feel, unlike with a clay bar where it is smooth.

So, why does the cleaner wax feel rough and the clay bar smooth IF the cleaner wax is doing a better job of cleaning? I'm really confused.

A cleaner/wax won't remove 100% of above surface bonded contaminants. Might not even get close to 10% depending upon what the contaminants are and how strong their bond is to the paint.

This is especially true if you're buffing with any type of foam pad. Foam pads will tend to GLIDE over the contaminants, not kick them off.

Now a wool pad on a rotary buffer will abrade or remove above surface bonded contaminants because the fibers of a wool pad are abrasive and a rotary buffer is powerful. But you'll also leave holograms behind.

The most effective way to remove above surface bonded contaminants is to use detailing clay or some other mechanical means like Nanoskin products.

The key word above is effective.

Here's the order....

Wash car
Clay paint
Use cleaner/wax

A cleaner/wax will remove road grime and staining on and in the paint that clay won't touch.

See this article and look at the picturess.....

Here's why you need to polish paint... (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/68100-here-s-why-you-need-polish-paint.html)

When working on neglected paint you need both detailing clay and some type of polish or cleaner/wax.

You can't do a great job or a complete job with just one product and not the other.

:)

shagnat
07-15-2015, 01:50 AM
The cleaner wax I use is directed by manufacturer to be applied by hand. How in the world can one cleaner clean below the surface and leave contaminants above the service?! That makes no sense at all, but, I'm ready to hear how that would work.

But, thanks so much for the directions of:

Wash
Clay bar
Cleaner wax

Then from there I'd do a paint inspection to determine if I needed paint correction (which I need some here and there) then get into my final polishing and wax then LSP? Do I have that in the correct order?

Mike@ShineStruck
07-15-2015, 06:29 AM
I always thought cleaner wax was.to get rid of oxidation,temp fill imperfections, wax

Mike Phillips
07-15-2015, 07:39 AM
The cleaner wax I use is directed by manufacturer to be applied by hand.

Could be they don't target more advanced detailers? Most products that can be used by hand can also be used with some type of dual action polisher. The only reason I can see where a product that's for use by hand could not be used by machine is if the heat generated by machine would cause the product to dry to quickly OR if the product contains abrasive technology that would cause micro-marring if applied by machine.

In either case might take a look at some different cleaner/waxes as there are a lot of choices on the market.

How in the world can one cleaner clean below the surface and leave contaminants above the service?! That makes no sense at all, but, I'm ready to hear how that would work.

Well let's take a look at what I wrote above.... note the part I made bold.

cleaner/wax won't remove 100% of above surface bonded contaminants. Might not even get close to 10% depending upon what the contaminants are and how strong their bond is to the paint.

This is especially true if you're buffing with any type of foam pad. Foam pads will tend to GLIDE over the contaminants, not kick them off.

But, thanks so much for the directions of:

Wash
Clay bar
Cleaner wax

Then from there I'd do

1. a paint inspection to determine if I needed paint correction (which I need some here and there)

2. then get into my final polishing and wax

3. then LSP?

Do I have that in the correct order?

No. You have it all mixed up.

If you use the cleaner/wax then you're done. You don't do the other three steps you asked about.

If you want to do the other three step then you do the three steps and skip the cleaner/wax.

:)

Hoytman
07-15-2015, 09:49 AM
More and more I'm subscribing to AIO's, or cleaner/waxes, for my daily drivers. I think Mike uses them on his truck and recently shared some photo's.

I also think one-steps using cleaner/waxes are what the vast majority of detailing clients should do for their daily rides simply to maintain the longevity of the UV inhibitors in the paint. Garage queens and show cars being an exception. However, once a garage queen and/or show car has been corrected, then what would be wrong with the mild polishing and minor protection of a quality cleaner/wax or AIO?