PDA

View Full Version : Newbie

petemc
07-11-2015, 05:38 AM
Hi everyone. petemc here. I'm a newbie to the Forum and to the detailing arts and this site and these forums look to be a great source of info. I have no plans to start a business but even a driveway detailer can always use some tips.
Some background: I have 2 SAABs in the driveway; one is 1996 vintage. The other 2000 and, to the best of my knowledge no one has ever "loved the paint"
I'm sure some detailing clay is a good start but what grade should I start with?
Also, I'd appreciate your thoughts on a good polisher / buffer to start with and what pads, etc you find useful. There are SO many products out there!
Anyway, thanks for your time. Looking forward to your comments!
Have a great Saturday!

Pats300zx
07-11-2015, 06:35 AM
Welcome to AGO !!! There are so many polisher and pad options. You could start with something simple like the a Griots Garage PC or step up to the larger throw Rupes or Griots Boss. Definitely take a look at the Lake County Hydro-Tech pads or the new Meguiars low profile pads.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-12-2015, 03:14 AM
Hi, welcome to AutoGeekOnline!

sproketser
07-12-2015, 04:51 AM
Welcome aboard !

Souldetailer
07-12-2015, 09:53 AM
Welcome to a great forum. I really like the diversity you get here, from pro to newbies, and everywhere in between. I believe the best way to find the equipment/products that suit you best it to read, read and then read. Plus you'll pick up some valuable tips in the process. I'm, by no means, am saying don't ask a direct question. I just believe you get a better feel for what's out there by reading a broad spectrum of threads. Good luck an take care.

Peace,

Darrin

petemc
07-13-2015, 08:49 AM
Welcome to AGO !!! There are so many polisher and pad options. You could start with something simple like the a Griots Garage PC or step up to the larger throw Rupes or Griots Boss. Definitely take a look at the Lake County Hydro-Tech pads or the new Meguiars low profile pads.

Thanks for the suggestions PATS. I've read some good things about the Griots products. Seems like a good place to start. Cheers!

Kamakaz1961
07-13-2015, 08:57 AM
Welcome to AGO!!!

I 2nd the GG 6" DA. It's relatively inexpensive and comes with a lifetime warranty. It will be powerful enough to tackle all your needs. There is a plethora of Pad options and backing plate options too. Again, welcome to AGO.

petemc
07-13-2015, 11:41 AM
Thanks for the welcome to the Forum and for sharing your opinion about the GG 6"
It gets overwhelming reading all the reviews and such. It's nice to have personal input.
Cheers!

petemc
07-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Hey Darrin --
Thanks for posting back.
I agree with you about the reading. And also about the reading. But I have to admit it gets a bit overwhelming.
I see this Forum as a great spot to get unbiased opinions and input. Nothing is guaranteed of course but it's all good info. :)

petemc
07-13-2015, 11:44 AM
Thanks Mike - great to be here!

07-13-2015, 11:50 AM
Welcome to AGO Pete!

Souldetailer
07-13-2015, 12:49 PM
Hey Darrin --
Thanks for posting back.
I agree with you about the reading. And also about the reading. But I have to admit it gets a bit overwhelming.
I see this Forum as a great spot to get unbiased opinions and input. Nothing is guaranteed of course but it's all good info. :)

Yeah, tons of info to ingest, I like the GG 6 as a intro polisher and also a professional tool. Very good polisher, and versatile too. Backplates galore for the GG, I go from 6 1/2" down to 3" with the Griots. Buy up a bunch of LC flats, some Menzera and Mcguiars product and yer ready to go. Good luck & take care.

Peace,

Darrin

GRUNT1
07-13-2015, 07:04 PM
Welcome to AGO!

Paul A.
07-13-2015, 07:50 PM
Welcome petemc! If i had to start over and was looking for my first machine i would probably get the Griots unit. As far as clay, i might opt for a fine grade and maybe clay an area twice if needed than to risk more marring with a harder medium or firm clay. If you're getting used to claying you might want to cut your teeth with a fine grade first. Once you get more comfortable with it, and maybe for the older Saab in the stable, you can step it up to a firmer, more substantial clay.

petemc
07-15-2015, 10:38 AM
Puckman --
Your comments make a lot of sense. I haven't used clay yet so an "easy does it" approach seems the way to go. Besides, it's not like I'm looking to start a business or anything, right?
Thanks for your post!