PDA

View Full Version : Melted backing plate

Woodrow
07-10-2015, 02:29 PM
I have a 4" adapter for my 3401 that I've only used occasionally for spot corrections. I was using it last weekend on the back of a small hatchback with a fair amount of detail, so it was used for maybe an hour as I did fairly small sections. The mounting screw got so hot that it melted the middle out of the plastic backing plate and it came completely loose. When I tried to remove the mounting screw, it was too hot to touch.

My question is, what am I doing wrong that's making this thing so hot? Maybe running it at 6 is a bad thing? I don't think it's related to the backing plate itself, but I've used the polisher to do 5 or 6 cars with a 5 1/2 inch pads on the standard backing plate, and never noticed it getting THAT hot. I had a PC that got hot and melted a 4 inch pad. I thought it was the polisher, and bought the Flex which I thought would be heavier duty. Now that it's happened twice, I'm thinking it's me. What am I doing wrong?

Woody

trashmanssd
07-10-2015, 02:59 PM
Disclaimer I AM NOT A PRO AT ALL NEWBIE HERE, I have collapssed a few pads in the center my self. I think I also are getting to much heat from using to much product and also from using the wrong product/pad for the job. To many passes with to much pressure and to slow trying to get full correction with out enough cut(pad or polish problem)? or trying to finish out with to heavy a cut (same polish or pad??) instead off doing a full 2 steep process? I think its just time to get to trust and know what and how to use all the different products. I am still experimenting and I find it fun luckily I can afford new pads and more product and I enjoy it.

trekkeruss
07-10-2015, 03:02 PM
I doubt it is the polisher that is getting hot and causing the bolt to melt, but the friction created by the pad against the paint; the heat is getting transferred up into the plate and mounting bolt. Running it at full tilt creates the most heat. A small pad heats up faster as well.

Zubair
07-10-2015, 03:08 PM
This was one of the reasons or the main reason I didn't settle on a Flex as a second machine. I only wanted to use it with a 5" or 5.5" pad. The 4 3/8 plate I think its called overlaps on the 5" pad velcro, the 4" and 6" LC bp's are notorious for breaking or melting but I'm sure many will chime in and say no issues with theirs. How does one safely use 5-5.5" pads on a Flex?

Read the comments here at the bottom, its not you its a design flaw:
FLEX XC3401 Changeable Backing Plate System (http://www.autogeek.net/flex-xc3401-backing-plates.html)

Rsurfer
07-10-2015, 04:33 PM
[QUOTE=Zubair;1271874] How does one safely use 5-5.5" pads on a Flex?

Use speed 1-2. :props:

Kamakaz1961
07-10-2015, 06:07 PM
I have a 4" adapter for my 3401 that I've only used occasionally for spot corrections. I was using it last weekend on the back of a small hatchback with a fair amount of detail, so it was used for maybe an hour as I did fairly small sections. The mounting screw got so hot that it melted the middle out of the plastic backing plate and it came completely loose. When I tried to remove the mounting screw, it was too hot to touch.

My question is, what am I doing wrong that's making this thing so hot? Maybe running it at 6 is a bad thing? I don't think it's related to the backing plate itself, but I've used the polisher to do 5 or 6 cars with a 5 1/2 inch pads on the standard backing plate, and never noticed it getting THAT hot. I had a PC that got hot and melted a 4 inch pad. I thought it was the polisher, and bought the Flex which I thought would be heavier duty. Now that it's happened twice, I'm thinking it's me. What am I doing wrong?

Woody

Wow sorry to hear that. My guess is that you are running at all times on Speed level 6. I have the PC and Flex 3401. For the Flex I have never used speed level 6 (yet)...IMO no need to. Additionally, I think you are applying too much pressure on the panel.

No more than 10 - 15 (MAX) pounds of pressure. Any more than that may cause damage especially with the Flex as it is a "forced rotation" DA. Additionally, I always oil the felt tip around the area of the DA itself the backing plate mount.

I think (at least for me) Speed level 4-5 is sufficient enough for correcting/polishing work. It will get the job done. For applying sealant/wax Speed level 1.5-2 should be fine.

You should have the product work for you not the other way around by (my assumption) by applying too much pressure.

You did not mention what type of pads you are using. I use the Lake Country Hybrid Pads (which I am assuming you are too).

When you mentioned the PC7424XP; I have one too. I have not used speed level 6 either. Level 5 is the highest I go.

Another area to look at is the extension cord. Make sure it is a heavy duty extension cord. I have heard in some cases the wrong type of extension cord can cause heat damage too. That goes with ALL Polishers. Maybe that is why your PC overheated too. All DA's sap alot of electricity.

I have heavy duty extension cords with surge protectors for extra safety.

With all these steps that I do; I have yet to have any issues.

I hope this helps.

Woodrow
07-12-2015, 05:09 PM
Thank you all, for your suggestions! I try to switch pads (LC) a lot to keep the heat down in them. I try to use a fresh (or cleaned and cooled) pad for each of the car. I do sometimes have a tendency to use too much product, so if that will contribute to overheating, I am likely guilty. I liked the idea that it might be a weak extension cord, but the ones I typically use are pretty heavy that I also use for power tools. I might be using too much pressure, too. Am I supposed to be lubricating something? There is no mention of lubrication in the maintenance section of the manual.

Also, does anyone know if I can buy a new 4 inch backing plate without having to buy the "gear plate"?

Thanks again! I appreciate the suggestions!

MIsnowman
07-12-2015, 07:49 PM
Also, does anyone know if I can buy a new 4 inch backing plate without having to buy the "gear plate"?

Thanks again! I appreciate the suggestions!

Have you contacted LC about it? From what I've read they stand behind their products and might send you a replacement as it seems you are not alone in having issues with the 4" plate.

Woodrow
07-13-2015, 11:40 AM
Have you contacted LC about it? From what I've read they stand behind their products and might send you a replacement as it seems you are not alone in having issues with the 4" plate.

Great idea! I hadn't thought about that. I didn't occur to me that it might be a warranty type issue, since I assumed it was my fault. I sent them an email to see if they have any ideas how to avoid this, and to ask where to buy the backing plate separately. Maybe they've see it before, and will help.

Woodrow
07-17-2015, 10:07 AM
Last update. I got a return email from LC, and they ARE going to help.Apparently a couple of people have reported this issue, and he is sending a new backing plate free of charge. He's even going to include a couple of new pads. Thank you MIsnowman for the suggestion!

I have to say this was not expected, and I'm pretty impressed by their customer support!

MIsnowman
07-17-2015, 11:22 AM
Good deal!!

I have no experience with LC's customer service, but I have read it is top notch. Always nice when a company stands behind their products.