PDA

View Full Version : Quick question about the 3401

dvboy
07-10-2015, 10:04 AM
I just picked up a 3401,still haven't had a chance to use it.This is my only polisher,so I got the 4" plate and 5" hybrid pads to make it a little more versatile.I know this unit will be terrific at cutting and cleaning,but my question is will it be good at the final stages of sealing and waxing with the black hybrid pad?I am just a weekend worrier,so I suspect it would be just fine.Down the road would the PE8 be the best addition for getting into the tight spots and possibly better at the final finishing stages?

Justin at Final Inspection
07-10-2015, 11:11 AM
The Flex is like a Swiss army knife. It can do a lot of things well. Never machine waxed with mine but correcting and finishing is no issue!

I love using my PE8 to correct little areas such as headlight, bumpers, a pillar. I wouldnt use it to finish a whole car though.

Kamakaz1961
07-10-2015, 11:53 AM
I just picked up a 3401,still haven't had a chance to use it.This is my only polisher,so I got the 4" plate and 5" hybrid pads to make it a little more versatile.I know this unit will be terrific at cutting and cleaning,but my question is will it be good at the final stages of sealing and waxing with the black hybrid pad?I am just a weekend worrier,so I suspect it would be just fine.Down the road would the PE8 be the best addition for getting into the tight spots and possibly better at the final finishing stages?

Bingo!! You could have not said this any better. Soon you will learn how to compound/polish with "finesse" with the Flex 3401. No worries about "walking" or "running" while in use. You can use one hand in some cases (tight fitting areas or difficult areas).

The 5" Hybrids make it so much easier to use, especially if the DA is new to you.

As for applying sealant/wax by machine; that is the ONLY way I apply it to my ride or anyone else's. The sealant/wax goes on thinner, more uniform spreading and much faster to apply than by hand. The tough areas where a DA can't reach I just remove the pad and spread the sealant/wax by hand and then re-attach the pad an move on. Usually Speed setting 1.5 - 2 is fine for sealant/waxing.

The Flex can take a beating too!! It just keeps on working!! I dropped my Flex from the counter and thought "oh oh"; but just wiped the dust and it kept on going.

You will love the machine!! One thing I have learned...if you are going to be using it for a while...put ear plugs in your ear. You will save a lot of fatigue issues. I learned this from the AGO forum.

But have fun with that awesome machine!!

dvboy
07-10-2015, 09:03 PM
Thanks guys,I will hold off on the pe8 for now.Gonna master the 3401 first,don't want to get ahead of myself.

J.Kempster
07-11-2015, 10:43 AM
I have the Flex 3401 and I am new with a little time under my belt. I have used it to polish, finish and apply sealant. I have not had the need to compound as of yet.

Great tool and feels so well built in your hands. Mine did walk on me some but it was the first time, 6.5" hybrids and a boat so keeping it flat was a chore but I bought the 4" plate and cannot wait to try it out with my new 5" hybrids.

dlc95
07-11-2015, 11:08 PM
David Patterson from Lake Country recommended the black hybrid for waxing with the 3401. I have every reason to believe in his recommendation.

dvboy
09-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I purchased the 3401 in anticipation of getting a new car,well its finally arrived.I was really excited to get out my 3401 and go to work on it,the paint didn't need much in the way of correction which took the challenge out of it,but the results were great.First I used the Nanoskin autoscrub pad,it worked really well leaving the paint nice and smooth.Using Blackfire products,I bypassed the SRC Compound and went directly to the SRC finishing Polish.After that I used the Wet diamond finish and paint protection followed by Crystal seal.Took about 3-4 hours......
http://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/dvboy2008/_MG_4452.jpghttp://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/dvboy2008/_MG_4429b.jpghttp://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/dvboy2008/_MG_4396_1.jpghttp://i487.photobucket.com/albums/rr231/dvboy2008/_MG_4368.jpg

Kamakaz1961
09-02-2015, 08:53 PM
Wow beautiful work!! How was applying sealant with the Flex? I usually apply sealant and wax at speed setting 1.5 - 2. Lots of fun!

Either way beautiful work!

dvboy
09-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Thanks,I applied the Wet Diamond using a speed of 3-4 and applied the sealant by hand.The last two processes went on and removed with the greatest of ease and was actually quite fun seeing the results!!

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-03-2015, 04:33 AM
I just picked up a 3401.

Congrats!

This is my only polisher,so I got the 4" plate and 5" hybrid pads to make it a little more versatile.

This is the best way to equip this machine. Later on you can move up to the larger 6.5 pads if need be to cover more surface area such as large trucks and SUV's.

I know this unit will be terrific at cutting and cleaning, but my question is will it be good at the final stages of sealing and waxing with the black hybrid pad?I am just a weekend worrier, so I suspect it would be just fine.

It performs just as well on final stages of detailing. Anything from a finishing wax/sealant with abrasives to a true wax/sealant will perform great when combined with the black Hybrid.

Down the road would the PE8 be the best addition for getting into the tight spots and possibly better at the final finishing stages?

IMO, yes for the tight areas. If you want to get into the final stages of really trying to pull the utmost gloss from the surface by way of Jeweling the paint, you will be better of with a full size rotary such as the PE14.

I put together an article on extracting the maximum performance from this particular setup when combined with DAT based polishes such as Menzerna.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/77155-my-technique-concerning-3401-menzerna-products-hybrid-pads.html

This method works equally well when driven by the Flex PE14.
http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/auto-detailing-university/80973-utilizing-smack-technique-pe14.html

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
09-03-2015, 04:38 AM
Beautiful work on the 370z! That looks incredible!

dlc95
09-03-2015, 05:10 PM
Wow, that looks great!

Since my last post to this thread I did neighbors Cruze with M205/M21 with the Flex using the Blue Buff and Shine polishing pad, and red waxing pad... I take care of his car in exchange for lawn maintenence. He actually texted me "thank you".

I love that machine...