PDA

View Full Version : Help - I screwed up!

Pages : [1] 2 3

MstrJosh
07-09-2015, 10:22 PM
I'm a beginner, and I had purchased a PC7424xp. I used a microfiber cutting pad + M105 on my paint, I then moved to a white pad and M205. Swirls are gone, but my paint is horribly hologramed, and I'm here feeling like an idiot.

What should I do? (Besides hand it over to a pro)

irvsmith
07-09-2015, 10:33 PM
Is this a test spot or did you complete the whole car?

MstrJosh
07-09-2015, 10:36 PM
Test spot about 8 inches by 8 inches.

refreshauto
07-09-2015, 10:39 PM
What kind of car is it. You might have gone to aggressive. Always go least aggressive and work your way up. What other products and pads do you have on hand

MstrJosh
07-09-2015, 10:44 PM
Car is a Volvo 1800, but had been repainted with a moderately hard paint about 30 years ago

I have some orange foam pads, many white ones, and some black ones, all hexlogic. I have m105 and m205, I also have something called P1 compound from Clear finish, along with a matching P2 finish.

Calendyr
07-09-2015, 10:53 PM
Are you trolling us? I really doubt it's possible to put holograms in hard paint using a PC.

If this is not a joke, just re-do the paint correction and take the time to learn how first. I have no idea how you can possibly put holograms in paint using a DA but if you really did you must have done something terribly wrong, those things are super safe.

MstrJosh
07-09-2015, 10:58 PM
Not trolling. Used the machine with about 10lbs of pressure on it at speed 6, and that's what it looked like after an IPA wipe.

Zubair
07-09-2015, 11:00 PM
Try not using an MF pad as your first choice for future corrections. Least aggresive method always first on test spots then slowly work your way up.

dlc95
07-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Can you try some 105 on the white? Try backing off the pressure a bit. Maybe even drop the speed to 4.5-5.5 finesse those abrasives.

If that's not working, try 105 on the orange pad, then for whichever cutting step you use, follow with 205 on the white.

With the Hex pads I use about three or four small drops of 105, and a mist of m34 (detail spray).

irvsmith
07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
I am not that familiar with holograms but this image looks like something was under the pad while the correction was happening?

dlc95
07-09-2015, 11:03 PM
I've burned paint with a pc. It can be done.

Zubair
07-09-2015, 11:05 PM
I've burned paint with a pc. It can be done.

Do tell pad and polish combo

Calendyr
07-09-2015, 11:43 PM
Ok, so make sure the pad is always spinning, best way is to draw a thick line with a sharpie on the backplate. This will ensure correction is being done. Pad not spinning would not cause holograms though.

Make sure you don't overwork the product. If you can't see the compound on the paint anymore, or if you see dusting, it is time to spray a little water on your pad.

10 pounds of pressure should be ok. Make sure it's really 10 pounds, use a scale to mesure your pressure with the PC. It might be a lot more than you think.

Try using the orange pad instead of the microfiber and see how it goes.

Make sure your pad is clean at all time (no sand or debris or anything other than the compound on it).

Make sure to clean the pad after each panel. If you have a pad washer this is really quick and easy if not you will have to take the time to do it by hand.

How long would you say you worked each panel?

Can't think of anything else of the top of my head. Maybe Mike Phillips with be able to tell you more, but this is something I have never seen and did not even think it was possible so the help I can offer is limited.

Good luck!

MstrJosh
07-09-2015, 11:49 PM
100% sure pads are clean, Im using brand new ones, and very carefully washing ones I've used.

Worked the test spot for a few passes. Maybe 2-3 with the MF pad? Then a few with a white pad. The paint was trashed. Scratches are gone, but it's now hologram central.

mreed2483
07-10-2015, 12:48 AM
After looking at pictures of holograms here: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/86156-one-step-hologram-removal-done.html

The marks on your car do not look like holograms to me, but I could be wrong. To me it looks like scratches which aren't the same thing as holograms. Try the suggestions already posted and keep up up to date of the progress. If I am wrong and those are holograms someone please correct me.