PDA

View Full Version : What pad/compound for glass cleaning and headlight polishing?

Pages : [1] 2

Cleanex
07-09-2015, 05:06 PM
I just bought Rupes 75e mini and the whole range of Rupes pads and compounds. (All 4 colors except UHS).

Can I use any of these pad/compounds for glass cleaning before coating application? I don't want to polish it - too messy - just to clean it from water spots you know.

And the second question, can any combo be used on headlight/taillight polishing?

Thanks!

Mantilgh
07-10-2015, 02:49 PM
I have not used the Rupes polishes or pads, but I believe neither should be a problem. Probably use the blue/blue combo for the glass cleanup, and whatever is needed for the head or tail lights depending on they condition. Blue and blue to remove 1500 grit sanding marks and up or just for a heavy compounding without sanding. White/white for like new lights. In between for the others or as a follow up step to compounding. Do a test spot on your lights starting with a less aggressive product.

trekkeruss
07-10-2015, 03:33 PM
I use the yellow pad for windows. I don't use the blue because of its open cell structure; stuff just flies all over the place.

Cleanex
07-28-2015, 04:09 PM
I use the yellow pad for windows. I don't use the blue because of its open cell structure; stuff just flies all over the place.
and you use rupes compound too, or something like ceriglass?

FUNX650
07-28-2015, 05:34 PM
If ever in doubt about using RUPES polishes,
in order to just clean auto-glass...
You'll really like the way that Mothers Chrome Polish
will clean auto-glass...I know that I do!!

Bob

Riff
07-28-2015, 08:42 PM
If ever in doubt about using RUPES polishes,
in order to just clean auto-glass...
You'll really like the way that Mothers Chrome Polish
will clean auto-glass...I know that I do!!

Bob

That's what I use. Works great with a white LC flat pad.

Todd@RUPES
08-08-2015, 08:42 AM

If you are using the coarse blue foam pad, we recommend using 6 pea-sized drops of products, speed 3, and medium pressure for about 30 seconds on the FIRST application. This will load the pad with the appropriate amount of product and soften the initial few millimeters of foam, which will either eliminate or cut down on initial sling.

Once the pad is warmed up, use 2 pea-sized drops per section.
Note: This is for the 7-inch/180mm foam pads, reduce product relative to pad size for the 6-inch/150mm and 4-inch/100mm foam pads.

:)

Todd@RUPES
08-08-2015, 08:43 AM
I just bought Rupes 75e mini and the whole range of Rupes pads and compounds. (All 4 colors except UHS).

Can I use any of these pad/compounds for glass cleaning before coating application? I don't want to polish it - too messy - just to clean it from water spots you know.

And the second question, can any combo be used on headlight/taillight polishing?

Thanks!

For polishing headlights and removing light-to-moderate defects, the Zephir compound with the blue microfiber disc is a great tool. For scum cleaning and prep, I like the Quarz compound with the green pad. :dblthumb2:

Cleanex
08-09-2015, 01:17 PM
For polishing headlights and removing light-to-moderate defects, the Zephir compound with the blue microfiber disc is a great tool. For scum cleaning and prep, I like the Quarz compound with the green pad. :dblthumb2:

Hi Todd,
so you are recommending blue pad + blue compound for glass? Or am I ok with the yellow+yellow? I have the whole range, so I can use whatever is the best for glass prep.

Thanks

Todd@RUPES
08-10-2015, 04:53 PM
Hi Todd,
so you are recommending blue pad + blue compound for glass? Or am I ok with the yellow+yellow? I have the whole range, so I can use whatever is the best for glass prep.

Thanks

Zephir is considerably coarser than Keramik, so for the buffing liquid you will be much better off with it. You can use the Zephir with the yellow microfiber if that's your only option, but the cloth not he blue microfiber is more aggressive (loop vs. cut).

Cleanex
08-11-2015, 04:49 PM
Zephir is considerably coarser than Keramik, so for the buffing liquid you will be much better off with it. You can use the Zephir with the yellow microfiber if that's your only option, but the cloth not he blue microfiber is more aggressive (loop vs. cut).

i should be more specific I don't have MF pads, just foams... I am I ok with some combo or should I buy MF for glass prep? Thanks and sorry for basic questions.

Red Hawk
08-15-2015, 07:17 PM
If you are not sure about using the Rupes system for some reason,you can eliminate water spots with a clay bar.

Brendon
10-12-2017, 02:46 AM
Hi when using Rupes pads for windows use only the white or yellow. I have tried the green and blue pads i was using Glass science Glass Scrub. I scratched the f&@k out of one window made a hell of a mess.I learnt the hard way

JCDetails
10-12-2017, 08:06 AM
If you're just getting water spots out, you shouldn't need to go super aggressive. Matter of fact, I've had good luck with Mckee's 360 on a white or orange LC thinpro pad to do glass.

Within the rupes system, I'd try the yellow pad and polish first and see what it looks like. If it's not enough, I'd go green polish yellow pad.

Brendon
10-13-2017, 12:21 AM
Today I tried yellow pad and Rupes yellow polish on the windows. the windows had light water spots on the glass
all I can say is WOW what a great job Rupes yellow pad and polish did on the windows no more water spots.