PDA

View Full Version : Another Polisher Request :)

Pages : [1] 2

KBsToy
07-09-2015, 10:39 AM
Here`s my story,

I bought a PINK flex 3401 on AG`s last no exclusion sale. I used it on my Arctic White Vette and my wife's Polar White Mercedes. Lets say the BEAST did a great job on our cars but did take a toll on me.

So know I am looking for something that's easier to handle and yet get the job done.
I am a weekend warrior and our cars are in good shape, maybe some small scratches from over washing and detail spray because of my OCD so no major defects to correct.

I fiquired on getting another polisher that's easier on my 62 year old body and using the info I have learned here on correct polishes and pads I can get the same results.

Any advice would be welcomed.

Thanks
KB

Eandras
07-09-2015, 10:57 AM
If th flex took a toll then most other polishers might be worse. I have the flex and it runs smooth now that I have my technique right. I keep the pad flat and apply slight pressure. You may want to check your working area is not to large and that toy are not over extending your arms, back, and legs. A 16"x16" working section is ideal for me. I keep my area small means less stress on the body.

Ed

The Guz
07-09-2015, 11:13 AM
Maybe consider the Meguiar's MT300 DA. It actually runs pretty smooth and corrects very well.

trekkeruss
07-09-2015, 12:08 PM
The best, most easiest to use polisher is the one someone else is holding ... hire someone to do the work for you. :laughing:

I'm joking. But only a little. Polishing is hard work. The horizontal surfaces are easy enough, but doing the vertical panels is tiring.

Kamakaz1961
07-09-2015, 12:09 PM
I am still trying to figure out how the Flex takes a toll on anyone's body. I am in my 50's and use the Flex sometimes 8-10 hours total and have no fatigue issues. If you get used to using the Flex; your technique is how you can reduce "fatigue". I can compound/polish my side mirrors with a 6.5" Pad. This is all from technique. The tighter areas I use my PE8.

Eandras is right....any other DA will do the same....some might be smoother some might be worse.

I say get used to the machine and learn the technique to where you can save your body. I do stretch and drink plenty of water when I am working on any car whether it be the Flex or my PC7424 or PE8. That technique helps too.

A BIG PLUS is use ear plugs when you are using the Flex. That alone helps.

IMO, getting rid of the Flex for a lesser DA will not accomplish anything. If you do get rid of the Flex, let me know I will buy it!

Rustbuket
07-09-2015, 12:38 PM
I'm 50+, I washed, buffet , polished, and waxed a 74 cutlass with DA, in one day, and I hurt everywhere. I must be out of shape, wait, is round a shape!http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

Sbmin
07-09-2015, 12:41 PM
What size pads are you using? If you are not using the 5" hybrid pads already, you may find them less fatiguing to use than larger pads.

KBsToy
07-09-2015, 01:02 PM
I'm 50+, I washed, buffet , polished, and waxed a 74 cutlass with DA, in one day, and I hurt everywhere. I must be out of shape, wait, is round a shape!http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/images/icons/icon7.gif

:dblthumb2:

KBsToy
07-09-2015, 01:03 PM
What size pads are you using? If you are not using the 5" hybrid pads already, you may find them less fatiguing to use than larger pads.

I used the hybrid pads like Mike says in his book..

KBsToy
07-09-2015, 01:05 PM
I am still trying to figure out how the Flex takes a toll on anyone's body. I am in my 50's and use the Flex sometimes 8-10 hours total and have no fatigue issues. If you get used to using the Flex; your technique is how you can reduce "fatigue". I can compound/polish my side mirrors with a 6.5" Pad. This is all from technique. The tighter areas I use my PE8.

Eandras is right....any other DA will do the same....some might be smoother some might be worse.

I say get used to the machine and learn the technique to where you can save your body. I do stretch and drink plenty of water when I am working on any car whether it be the Flex or my PC7424 or PE8. That technique helps too.

A BIG PLUS is use ear plugs when you are using the Flex. That alone helps.

IMO, getting rid of the Flex for a lesser DA will not accomplish anything. If you do get rid of the Flex, let me know I will buy it!

If I decide to sell it chk the Camaro5 forum that`s where it will be..

5 1/2 & 4 3/8 backing plate and assorted pads will be with it...

Kamakaz1961
07-09-2015, 01:24 PM
The best, most easiest to use polisher is the one someone else is holding ... hire someone to do the work for you. :laughing:

I'm joking. But only a little. Polishing is hard work. The horizontal surfaces are easy enough, but doing the vertical panels is tiring.

:iagree: But to lessen the effect; I use an adjustable height stool. That alone saves your back pain especially when you are working vertical panels.

Bottom line: I figure out how to go longer and lessen the negative affects with fatigue.

The stool and ear plugs (for any loud DA) helps saves your body from fatigue.

The part that I am having a big problem is...no matter what tools I try to use (stool, ear plugs, lights, etc) nothing works on making me get a full head of hair again!!.....LOL

FUNX650
07-09-2015, 02:38 PM
stretch and drink plenty of water when...working on any car

A BIG PLUS is use ear plugs when you are using the Flex.
That alone helps.

^^^Very Good Advice :props: ^^^

And to briefly comment on the following:

Here`s my story,

Any advice would be welcomed.

I bought a PINK flex 3401

I fiquired on getting another polisher
that's easier on my 62 year old body

•Not only is noise from loud sounds a
fatigue inducing factor...
-But so are flashy colors---like Pink.
Pink can be a very noisy color. :eek:

•Getting older:
-I know the feeling; and it sure doesn't seem to get
any easier as more, and more years are tacked on.
-But that's better, IMO, than the alternative. :)

•I'd like to be able to recommend a DA-style
polisher that's easy for old people to operate...
one that won't cause unnecessary fatigue or
exacerbate any existing ailments.

-But I've found that anything, other than a
rotary polisher, tends to not only vibrate too
much for my "conditions", but it also becomes
quite tiresome due to the extended amount
of time it takes to perform the same tasks
as it would via a rotary.

-I still make use of my good ol' PC
from time to time, though.

Good Luck, KB!!

Bob

custmsprty
07-09-2015, 03:20 PM
I've always really like the smoothness of my Rupes Duetto. It's easy to handle and does an outstanding job.

KBsToy
07-09-2015, 04:00 PM
^^^Very Good Advice :props: ^^^

And to briefly comment on the following:

•Not only is noise from loud sounds a
fatigue inducing factor...
-But so are flashy colors---like Pink.
Pink can be a very noisy color. :eek:

•Getting older:
-I know the feeling; and it sure doesn't seem to get
any easier as more, and more years are tacked on.
-But that's better, IMO, than the alternative. :)

•I'd like to be able to recommend a DA-style
polisher that's easy for old people to operate...
one that won't cause unnecessary fatigue or
exacerbate any existing ailments.

-But I've found that anything, other than a
rotary polisher, tends to not only vibrate too
much for my "conditions", but it also becomes
quite tiresome due to the extended amount
of time it takes to perform the same tasks
as it would via a rotary.

-I still make use of my good ol' PC
from time to time, though.

Good Luck, KB!!

Bob

As Always Bob your input is appreciated :dblthumb2: At 62 I am having more conditions :)

ski2
07-09-2015, 04:14 PM
At 68 I'm sure I have as many "conditions" as anyone although regular work outs at the gym really do help.

That being said I'm in the same boat as you (weekend warrior). I have a GG 8mm (version 2) that I've been happy with (it will now be dedicated to 4" pads) but treated myself to a G15. Have only done the hood of my wife's Golf when the G15 arrived just because I couldn't wait. My initial impressions are all I could hope for--quieter than the GG 8, much, much smoother and corrects my mild wash marring on hard VW paint in about half the number of passes as the GG 8. Will be doing my Passat Wagon tomorrow so I'll report back on my observations after a full day of polishing.

If you'd like to get together at some point and try the G15 just PM me.