PDA

View Full Version : Another Polisher Request :)

Pages : 1 [2]

Ebg18t
07-09-2015, 07:03 PM
Unfortunately you are experiencing the normal DA pains. If you were to correct with the DA and apply a coating instead of sealant combined with excellent wash technique will minimize how often you need to correct the finish.

Riff
07-09-2015, 07:22 PM
You could also try only doing 1 or 2 panels at a time. Spread it out over days or weeks. 👍🏽

7.3powerstroke
07-09-2015, 08:14 PM
How about a cyclo? Maybe you can get a used one cheap. You should be able to run one of those all day long without any problems.

FinishingTouchA
07-09-2015, 08:55 PM
Any of the Rupes are great choices. I've had the 21 for 2 years and just got the flex 3401. I know exactly what you mean by the flex is a lot of work. The Rupes is a smooth quiet machine you'll love it. I'd suggest the 15 though unless you're trying to cut big panels all day long.

MIsnowman
07-09-2015, 09:44 PM
Maybe keep the Flex and get some smaller pads. I've read that it is much easier to control with 5" or even 4" pads using the 4" LC backing plate.

Or.....you could sell it to me and buy something else. :)

Zubair
07-09-2015, 10:16 PM
Cyclo or Rupes LHR15.

dlc95
07-09-2015, 11:16 PM
Interesting to see others using ear plugs! I always do too.

The Flex is an interesting machine. It's really particular to being level. Too high in the rear, and it wants to go one way, too low it wants to go another, etc, etc... Some time to experiment with that could solve the issues you have, but truth be told, holding ourselves in the stances required to successfully polish a vehicle is a feat of strength and endurance in and of itself - regardless of the machine you are using.

That being said, out of all of them, the Rupes Duetto is easily the most comfortable machine I have. Like you can instantly feel the quality and power of the 3401, you can feel the quality and sleek performance of the Duetto. My poor PC doesn't have the same refinement of either - even though I use it the most... The PC is a very comfortable machine though - for me at least.

KBsToy
07-10-2015, 05:10 AM
At 68 I'm sure I have as many "conditions" as anyone although regular work outs at the gym really do help.

That being said I'm in the same boat as you (weekend warrior). I have a GG 8mm (version 2) that I've been happy with (it will now be dedicated to 4" pads) but treated myself to a G15. Have only done the hood of my wife's Golf when the G15 arrived just because I couldn't wait. My initial impressions are all I could hope for--quieter than the GG 8, much, much smoother and corrects my mild wash marring on hard VW paint in about half the number of passes as the GG 8. Will be doing my Passat Wagon tomorrow so I'll report back on my observations after a full day of polishing.

If you'd like to get together at some point and try the G15 just PM me.

I will keep in touch on offer....THANKS!!!!

KBsToy
07-10-2015, 05:12 AM
Again thanks to,all the reply s here on AG. I can always get great advice from people here..

KBsToy
07-10-2015, 03:34 PM
PM ed MISnowman on polisher...

ski2
07-12-2015, 05:09 PM
KBsToy--Finally finished my detail this weekend on my 07 Passat Wagon--hard clear.

In the past I've used my second generation GG 8mm DA with 5" backing plate, 5.5" B&S orange pads and HD Polish. Light wash marring (some spots moderate) and it usually would require 5-6 passes at speed 5-6 with the standard 15-20 lbs pressure and 1-2 passes at speed 3-4.

This weekend used my G15 (washer mod installed) with the same 5.5" B&S orange pads and HD Polish. Took me 3 passes at speed 5 with not much more pressure than the weight of the polisher and 1 pass at speed 3 to do the same work. Overall polishing time was the same though as I was playing with the G15 to get the hang of using a long throw polisher--I suspect it will be cut down next time I polish since I won't be experimenting as I go.

The G15 is really smooth compared to the GG 8mm and I was using the standard B&S pads. It should be even smoother with pads designed for a long throw polisher, but I decided to wait for the new B&S long throw pads which are supposed to be out in August.

Had no problems with bogging down on flat and convex curves, but short radius concave curves caused some initial problems. Tried speed 6 but speed 5 with a little pressure worked best for me.

I'm glad I got the G15 as it minimized the times I had to use the GG 8 with a 4" pad for tight areas. Egonomicaly the G15 is a pleasure to use--once you get the hang of the variable speed trigger it allows you to spread polish at a low speed then just move up to your selected speed by pulling the trigger all the way and when you do need to change speeds while polishing it is a snap since the dial is right where you can reach it without stopping.

Overall I find the G15 a pleasure to use and find the whole polishing experience allot less taxing and allot less tiring. Let me know if you have any questions.

KBsToy
07-13-2015, 04:30 AM
[quote=ski2;1272572]KBsToy--Finally finished my detail this weekend on my 07 Passat Wagon--hard clear.

In the past I've used my second generation GG 8mm DA with 5" backing plate, 5.5" B&S orange pads and HD Polish. Light wash marring (some spots moderate) and it usually would require 5-6 passes at speed 5-6 with the standard 15-20 lbs pressure and 1-2 passes at speed 3-4.

This weekend used my G15 (washer mod installed) with the same 5.5" B&S orange pads and HD Polish. Took me 3 passes at speed 5 with not much more pressure than the weight of the polisher and 1 pass at speed 3 to do the same work. Overall polishing time was the same though as I was playing with the G15 to get the hang of using a long throw polisher--I suspect it will be cut down next time I polish since I won't be experimenting as I go.

The G15 is really smooth compared to the GG 8mm and I was using the standard B&S pads. It should be even smoother with pads designed for a long throw polisher, but I decided to wait for the new B&S long throw pads which are supposed to be out in August.

Had no problems with bogging down on flat and convex curves, but short radius concave curves caused some initial problems. Tried speed 6 but speed 5 with a little pressure worked best for me.

I'm glad I got the G15 as it minimized the times I had to use the GG 8 with a 4" pad for tight areas. Egonomicaly the G15 is a pleasure to use--once you get the hang of the variable speed trigger it allows you to spread polish at a low speed then just move up to your selected speed by pulling the trigger all the way and when you do need to change speeds while polishing it is a snap since the dial is right where you can reach it without stopping.

Overall I find the G15 a pleasure to use and find the whole polishing experience allot less taxing and allot less tiring. Let me know if you have any questions.[ :)

As always thanks for info an update hoping AG does another no exclusion sale soon :)