PDA

View Full Version : Polishes and waxes

Delsil
07-09-2015, 08:35 AM
Hi Everyone, I am new on here and own a mobile auto detailing business in Northern Delaware and SE Pennsylvania. I have been detailing since 1992 when I first worked in a Wilmington, Delaware shop and then eventually started my own mobile business. I only do it part time now but still get a lot of clients. I have some questions on polishes, waxes and even buffers. I am little stale on processes as I have been using the same techniques for quite a long time but no complaints. I do want to get some ideas on what polishes and waxes everyone uses as well as buffers and pads. Currently I use a combination of Car Brite and Meguiars products and have used sparingly some....Liquid Glass. I am thinking of buying a DA buffer and have looked at the Porter Cable and Griot's. Some of the others are expensive but thought about them as well. I am looking for a buffing polish/glaze and then a top coat wax and/or sealant. Also if anyone has any thoughts of ceramic coating and what brands, I thought about offering this as well. Thanks in advance for your input. If interested my website is Sil's Mobile Auto Detail | West Chester, PA & Wilmington, DE (http://www.silsdetail.com).

Kamakaz1961
07-09-2015, 09:08 AM
Welcome to AGO. You will learn a lot from this site! As for a DA polisher you can't go wrong with a PC7424XP or the GG6". I have the PC, however, the GG6" might be the better choice.

It is more powerful and it is has a lifetime warranty. You can get multiple backing Plates and Pads for the GG6.

Both are versatile DA's. But the choice would be the GG for you. It is a great DA to learn.

I love my PC, but I outgrew it and still use it, however, I have upgraded to a Flex 3401.

Either way you will say DA or by hand, why did I wait so long?? The DA is the way to go.

Delsil
07-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Welcome to AGO. You will learn a lot from this site! As for a DA polisher you can't go wrong with a PC7424XP or the GG6". I have the PC, however, the GG6" might be the better choice.

It is more powerful and it is has a lifetime warranty. You can get multiple backing Plates and Pads for the GG6.

Both are versatile DA's. But the choice would be the GG for you. It is a great DA to learn.

I love my PC, but I outgrew it and still use it, however, I have upgraded to a Flex 3401.

Either way you will say DA or by hand, why did I wait so long?? The DA is the way to go.

Thanks for the reply. Have you looked at the Griot Boss? I know I can get the Porter at my local HD. Any ideas on backing plates and pads for the Porter? Also do you use a velcro backing plate?

Setec Astronomy
07-09-2015, 09:28 AM
Thanks for the reply. Have you looked at the Griot Boss? I know I can get the Porter at my local HD. Any ideas on backing plates and pads for the Porter? Also do you use a velcro backing plate?

If you can get the Porter Cable polisher at Home Depot that's news to most of us (unless you're buying online and doing a ship-to-store). And yes, everyone uses Velcro backing plates.

EDIT: I apologize, it appears some HD stores may stock the PC, but none around my way do, and I never remember any other members saying so, however, HD does not consider it an "online only" item so there must be some stores that stock it.

Delsil
07-09-2015, 10:09 AM
If you can get the Porter Cable polisher at Home Depot that's news to most of us (unless you're buying online and doing a ship-to-store). And yes, everyone uses Velcro backing plates.

EDIT: I apologize, it appears some HD stores may stock the PC, but none around my way do, and I never remember any other members saying so, however, HD does not consider it an "online only" item so there must be some stores that stock it.

Yeah sometimes my HD will say they have 1 or 2 and then go there and there are none. Most of them are online only.

Hoytman
07-09-2015, 10:35 AM

Actually Setec, that polisher has been available there for a long time, at least 7-8 years and maybe longer, but the number is slightly different. If I recall correctly it's a PC7336, but I'm not sure. However, looking at them and using them there's no difference.

Sorry, just noticed your edit...

I have several HD's and several Lowes stores around me and all of them carry that polisher all available in stores near Cinci and Dayton.

ski2
07-09-2015, 05:08 PM
Welcome to AGO!! Here's a list of articles and videos that will really help answer allot of your basic quetions---

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/ask-expert-featuring-mike-phillips/23722-car-detailing-articles-mike-phillips.html

VISITOR
07-10-2015, 03:03 AM
I am thinking of buying a DA buffer and have looked at the Porter Cable and Griot's.

consider the megs mt300 (looks to be better quality of the two aformentioned). it's more ergonomic (longer body style) and since you already have a steady client base and look to be quite busy, this will probably be more comfortable to use in the long run. you can also swap out backing plates and use different size pads. AG always has sales going on and when they have a no exclusions sale, that would a good time to pick one up if you want to save some money even though it isn't that much more expensive than the other two. if you are going to buy local, pick up the HF DA instead of the PC as it's half the price and has a little more power/torque...

Meguiars MT300 Dual Action Polisher (http://www.autogeek.net/meguiars-mt300-dual-action-polisher.html)
http://ep.yimg.com/ay/autogeek/meguiars-mt300-dual-action-polisher-coming-soon-11.gif