PDA

View Full Version : Leatherique how to...?

Pages : [1] 2

EuroTech
07-08-2015, 05:05 PM
Any tips when using the pristine clean and rejuvenator oil?
On here Leatherique How To Instructions, Leatherique instructions (http://www.autogeek.net/leatherique--rejuvenator-oil-prestine-clean-instructions.html)
Its states to condition the leather and then clean. This seams counter intuitive, is it correct and why?
Any other thoughts as in tools to use for cleaner and conditioner ( planing on brush and sponge), amount of product necessary for use, time etc?

d33p
07-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Pick a super hot day and park under the sun with windows up.

Liberally coat your seats and put some excessively in the stitching. Let your seats bake like a sauna. You can cover them in garbage bags to intensify the sauna effect. If they dry up during it, add more. The trick is to keep them looking wet. You can leave it for one or two days.

Then use pristine clean and a damp rag to clean up the "oil". The "oil" pulls out the dirt and the pristine clean rinses it off so to speak.

Rsurfer
07-08-2015, 05:27 PM
Yes, condition first and then clean. Leave in the sun with the windows up..some will even put a plastic bag over the seat. Check for dry spots and apply as needed. Great product.

d33p
07-08-2015, 05:32 PM
As far as tools. I poured the "oil" on the seats and used my hands to spread it and work it in. It gets messy but your hands can limit wear you want it. For clean up I used a bunch of short nap microfiber towels. If you use warm damp towels you will use less pristine clean....it will go quickly so be careful.

EuroTech
07-08-2015, 05:41 PM
As far as tools. I poured the "oil" on the seats and used my hands to spread it and work it in. It gets messy but your hands can limit wear you want it. For clean up I used a bunch of short nap microfiber towels. If you use warm damp towels you will use less pristine clean....it will go quickly so be careful.

What does short nap refer to? I understand there are two types of microfibers your traditional weave and waffle weave. Waffle weave being better for drying, and windows, and traditional for everything else. Is this correct?
1)Are there other types of microfiber I should be aware of? If so what are they and their applications? Any links to brands you prefer and what you use them for would be incredibly helpful.

Ebg18t
07-08-2015, 06:02 PM
What does short nap refer to? I understand there are two types of microfibers your traditional weave and waffle weave. Waffle weave being better for drying, and windows, and traditional for everything else. Is this correct?
1)Are there other types of microfiber I should be aware of? If so what are they and their applications? Any links to brands you prefer and what you use them for would be incredibly helpful.

The last time I used leatherique I just used the cheap MF from SAMs club/Costco and threw them out as I got them dirty. the stuff works awesome, but you have to be diligent and patient.

If you look at some of the microfiber should will see some have long MF and are really fluffy, some are short MF and fairly thin in comparison.

Matt@Revive
07-08-2015, 06:06 PM
apply the oil very wet, work in the oil with your hands getting into all of the seams and joints. once applied let it set (in the heat and overnight are recommended). the oil will turn tacky and thick.

i use a spray nozzle and spray the treated areas with Pristine Clean and let sit for about 10 minutes. (i spray one seat, let it set then spray the next seat before i start the wipe off process of the first seat)

get a bucket of warm water and soak a short nap microfiber towel and a leather cleaning brush. wring out the brush so it's damp and gently scrub the seats to help break down and lift the dirt and oil (should foam a bit). wring out your microfiber and wipe the seat down to remove the dirt and oils (rinse towel bucket after a few wipes). then wipe with a clean dry microfiber to remove any excess water.

this method has worked great for me, just remember to not get the leather too wet or let water sit for too long. the water in the rinse bucket is usually brown-ish grey from all of the dirt and oils being removed.

EuroTech
07-08-2015, 06:09 PM
The last time I used leatherique I just used the cheap MF from SAMs club/Costco and threw them out as I got them dirty. the stuff works awesome, but you have to be diligent and patient.

If you look at some of the microfiber should will see some have long MF and are really fluffy, some are short MF and fairly thin in comparison.

I just picked some up where the weave is tight on one side and rather fluffy on the other. My old ones are realizably similar all being thin tight weave. I'm sure price is a factor in getting quality clothes, however I don't want to be overpaying for something that only give a menial improvement for large increase in price.
What do you use type of microfiber and brand, and for what applications?

sproketser
07-08-2015, 06:21 PM
apply the oil very wet, work in the oil with your hands getting into all of the seams and joints. once applied let it set (in the heat and overnight are recommended). the oil will turn tacky and thick.

i use a spray nozzle and spray the treated areas with Pristine Clean and let sit for about 10 minutes. (i spray one seat, let it set then spray the next seat before i start the wipe off process of the first seat)

get a bucket of warm water and soak a short nap microfiber towel and a leather cleaning brush. wring out the brush so it's damp and gently scrub the seats to help break down and lift the dirt and oil (should foam a bit). wring out your microfiber and wipe the seat down to remove the dirt and oils (rinse towel bucket after a few wipes). then wipe with a clean dry microfiber to remove any excess water.

this method has worked great for me, just remember to not get the leather too wet or let water sit for too long. the water in the rinse bucket is usually brown-ish grey from all of the dirt and oils being removed.

I almost do the same as you but with a MF Sponge for the applications with some med hot water as for the rince after 24 hrs when hot & humid . .

EuroTech
07-08-2015, 07:10 PM
I almost do the same as you but with a MF Sponge for the applications with some med hot water as for the rince after 24 hrs when hot & humid . .

So why do you condition before cleaning? Is this just with letherique or have I been doing it wrong with other products too. It would seam that less dirt on the seat would allow the product to adhere into the material better ? Why do they recommend doing it the reverse order ?

sproketser
07-08-2015, 07:17 PM
So why do you condition before cleaning? Is this just with letherique or have I been doing it wrong with other products too. It would seam that less dirt on the seat would allow the product to adhere into the material better ? Why do they recommend doing it the reverse order ?

!st I vaccuum the seats , whatever that you want to treat Leatherique with , Use Leatherique Rejuvenate Oil , then Prestine Clean as stated above .

It s the way Leatherique calls their products that might be confusing for some . As you said usually one cleans then condition &/or protect .

Just do as Leatherique suggests how to use it or some here in the Forum .

Paul A.
07-08-2015, 07:23 PM
I also spray it liberally with a spray bottle and work it in with my hands. A large towel covering my center console helps too. Then let it bake in this FL sun for a full day. I check on it every once in a while and reapply where it seems to be drying out a bit.

My understanding on the procedure is that the "condition" step being first is meant to penetrate deeper and displace dirt and grime to the surface of the leather when you then come in with the second step and "clean" whats been displaced. To me it doesn't really matter what they call it and just make sure i do it in the order they recommend.

And, yes, like spokester said, i thoroughly vacuum before the treatment and toothbrush the seams to get them as clean as possible.

sproketser
07-08-2015, 07:38 PM
I also spray it liberally with a spray bottle and work it in with my hands. A large towel covering my center console helps too. Then let it bake in this FL sun for a full day. I check on it every once in a while and reapply where it seems to be drying out a bit.

My understanding on the procedure is that the "condition" step being first is meant to penetrate deeper and displace dirt and grime to the surface of the leather when you then come in with the second step and "clean" whats been displaced. To me it doesn't really matter what they call it and just make sure i do it in the order they recommend.

And, yes, like spokester said, i thoroughly vacuum before the treatment and toothbrush the seams to get them as clean as possible.

Yep , the spray method is a good alternative , might try that next time .

FUNX650
07-08-2015, 08:07 PM
I sure don't...and won't...go through any
such protracted Leatherique-rigmarole!!

I roll with Leather Master's leather products. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

Rsurfer
07-08-2015, 08:11 PM
I sure don't...and won't...go through any
such protracted Leatherique-rigmarole!!

I roll with Leather Master's leather products. :xyxthumbs:

Bob

Then you should start your own thread "Leather Master's how to...?