PDA

View Full Version : cleaning inside of windshield

Pages : [1] 2 3

LP14SS
07-08-2015, 03:55 PM
when cleaning glass, specifically the inside of the windshield i notice this greasy film that i cant seem to efficiently remove, typically i use invisible glass and two towels which in most cases works for everything except in this spot, i can get it clean it just takes FOREVER! theres gotta be a better way what do you guys suggest? ive thought about using an ammonia glass cleaner only for this spot and only if it doesnt have a tinted visor strip but figure ill come pick your brains before i go there! thanks in advance!

Rsurfer
07-08-2015, 04:04 PM
An ammonia glass cleaner should clear up that spot.

Paul A.
07-08-2015, 04:09 PM
I'm still using the 'ole 0000 steel wool trick on windows and sometimes inside when there are issues with film buildup. My favorite glass cleaner and worked with fine, silk like steel wool and then a second pass with my glass MF's.

expdetailing
07-08-2015, 04:14 PM
What's causing this grease spot? I'm wondering if it is from coolant from the car's heating/cooling system.

LP14SS
07-08-2015, 04:22 PM
ive heard plastic and vinyl dashboard will "gas" when they sit in the sun and heat up, the more cars i detail, the more i believe this to be the case because i primarily see it in newer types of cars i personally own a 2014 silverado and ive gotta clean this greasy hazy film once every two weeks or so yet i just did a 69 chevelle thats been sitting in storage for over a year and just a couple swipes with my usual technique and cleaner, and that did the trick .

LP14SS
07-08-2015, 04:25 PM
puckman, ive never heard of that before ill keep that in mind for really dirty spots but even that fine of steel wool dont you worry about possibly scouring the glass ?

Paul A.
07-08-2015, 04:38 PM
0000 grade steel wool is like metallic silk. It is a much finer grade than your standard SOS pad texture. I have never had any issues with any marking or scratching but i use very light pressure and use it to rub off "above glass" surface crap. Almost like a glass clay bar affect. Works well in conjunction with my Sprayway glass cleaner for that as well as films.

conquistador
07-08-2015, 04:45 PM
I personally won't touch glass with steel wool. Many other agree including Mike Phillips.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69977

Rsurfer
07-08-2015, 04:54 PM
I personally won't touch glass with steel wool. Many other agree including Mike Phillips.

Using 0000 steel wool on windshield - Auto Geek Online Auto Detailing Forum (http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69977)

:iagree:Plus the steel residue that will be caught in your MF towel. Unlike the exterior glass that can be rinsed away, Regardless, SW will never touch my interior or exterior glass.

DogRescuer
07-08-2015, 05:08 PM
Not to get off topic but I have so much trouble cleaning the inside rear glass without turning into a pretzel and sweating my a** off

Rsurfer
07-08-2015, 05:17 PM
Not to get off topic but I have so much trouble cleaning the inside rear glass without turning into a pretzel and sweating my a** off
I know what you mean. Get one of those triangular glass tool.

jaimz11
07-08-2015, 05:26 PM
I've been a little Optimum Optiseal on windows that wouldn't come out right and its been great. Dries fast with no streaks. I do this in the interior and exterior.

RTexasF
07-08-2015, 06:34 PM
Here's what works for me. I buy a bottle or two of Isopropyl alcohol for a dollar or so each. I drench a MF towel in in and wring it out until almost dry. Then the interior windshield is gone over multiple times. After that, all of that it is buffed off with a thick waffle weave towel. All gasses from the dash are gone.....for a while. This will need to be repeated as necessary.

No special products, no big hassle, and it works. Simple, clean, and cheap.

SR99
07-08-2015, 06:44 PM
Just wondering if a vapor steamer (using triangle brush with terry towel) on the windshield outgassing film would work, or if chemicals are a must.

LP14SS
07-08-2015, 06:46 PM
Here's what works for me. I buy a bottle or two of Isopropyl alcohol for a dollar or so each. I drench a MF towel in in and wring it out until almost dry. Then the interior windshield is gone over multiple times. After that, all of that it is buffed off with a thick waffle weave towel. All gasses from the dash are gone.....for a while. This will need to be repeated as necessary.

No special products, no big hassle, and it works. Simple, clean, and cheap.

I never thought to try IPA do you dilute it at all or just use it full strength? I'll have to give this a shot tomorrow since I've already got some handy!