PDA

View Full Version : Collecting renovation ideas for my new detailing shop

spinz
07-08-2015, 11:42 AM
Hey fellow geeks, I'm very excited because after working for two years at my house garage, I'm finally moving my detailing base to a workshop, this will offer me proper detailing workspace.

So I would like hear from you guys that:
1. What ceiling lighting should I use?
2. What color should I paint the wall?
3. Any other things that i should be aware of?

The depth is about 70ft from the entrance to the back door.
Width is about 20ft.
Height is about 11ft.
Picture available at the end of post.

The front part will be my washing bay, this will be the area to display the final work too.
Then moving deeper will be the polishing bay.
What is your recommended lighting for car display purpose and paint correction/inspection?
I believe I'm going to need two different kind of lights for these two different purposes.

Next thing will be the paint of the walls.
My current idea is to paint them with two colours - blue and green. (refer my avatar logo)
Lower part with blue, upper part with green.
Will these colors give bad reflection on the paint when I'm shooting the pictures of my work?

Feed back please

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=96767&size=1

808_detail_nut
07-09-2015, 04:33 AM
Looks nice and congrats. I would go with white and have led lighting with led work lights for close work. I don't have a shop but I put some thought into it so when I do I know what I need. I just figure a light color with a lot of LEDs would really make it easy to see the imperfections in the paint. I may be wrong but that is what I was thinking. Just paint a logo on the wall or get a banner. Good luck!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ebg18t
07-09-2015, 05:13 AM
Alfred - Congrats on getting your own shop now. I'd suggest going white on the walls and getting a banner made for your logo.

There was a thread 6-8 months ago talking about shop lighting. Might be worth searching for it.

99monguse
07-09-2015, 07:23 AM
The best thing you can do is paint the floor either white or a very light gray and get good lighting

Audios S6
07-09-2015, 07:57 AM
Looks like you'll need to add a lot more lighting. I'd consider having several lighting circuits and a lot of switching to easily control it. something like:

4 lighting circuits:
Wash bay
Detail bay overhead
Detail bay correction lighting
Office area/bathroom area

Switching:
Wash bay: 2 or 3-way switching with occupancy sensor to control all lighting; switched from front door and near detailing bay. Occupancy sensor near front door.

Detailing bay: 2 or 3 way switching with occupancy sensors to control only a single light near the office/bathroom; switched from near the wash bay and near the work bench/polisher storage. Occupancy sensors near wash bay and office area.

You could also have a branch off a circuit for the minimal occupancy lighting. The idea is just to provide enough light for you to get from the front to the back without blinding yourself with 200K lumens at 6am.

I go a little crazy with circuiting, but it makes it easy to maintain some lighting; if you ever want to modify the system, then you don't need to shut off all of the lighting just to wire one new fixture on the wall or ceiling.

whavens
07-09-2015, 10:17 AM
If possible, I would have the wash bay be the deepest one in the garage. That way you won't be driving through wash water to pull the cars out. Then the progression would be as the car is finished it would be at the end of the garage, either ready to be displayed or pulled out for delivery.

Walter

spinz
07-17-2015, 09:59 AM
Sorry for replying late. It's been a very busy week for me.

A lot of matters to deal with - Business license approval and renovations. But i still feel happy and excited, like I'm one step closer to my dream - Owning a detailing workshop :)

Thank you:
808_detail_nut
Ebg18t
99monguse
Audios S6
whavens

All the ideas and suggestions have been taken into consideration.

Will keep you guys posted.

Zelfiris
07-17-2015, 10:57 AM
congratulations!

that shop looks like a dream to have :D