PDA

View Full Version : 3.5mm paint on Mazda

HossMan
07-08-2015, 08:15 AM
Had my 2011 Miata's paint measured. It's average was around 3.5mm. Is this a decent thickness for a Mazda? I've always read that once you get 3.0 and below, you start minimizing the UV protection provided by the factory clear. I don't intend to do any serious compounding, because I want to avoid cutting the clear as much as possible.

What I planned on doing this weekend was buying a microfiber finishing pad from Meguiars and using some 205 I have at home. Then putting M21 on as a sealant.

I know the 205 with MF pad will cut a tiny bit and that's what I'm trying to achieve. Then, I'm hoping for a beautiful finish. What do you guys think? Thanks so much.

LSNAutoDetailing
07-08-2015, 08:36 AM
First question, does the car really need a compounding? How bad are the swirls and scratches? Do you have any photos?

Did they happen to measure the paint in one of the door jams?
If not can you get a measurement? Is the 3.5 measurement consistent on the whole car? Reason I ask about the door jams is if you have more on the surface of the the car by say (rough guess/shot in the dark here) of 50% than the door jams, that's pretty good.

M205 is a #4 on the cut chart:
http://www.autopiaforums.com/Todd-Helme/polish-chart.jpg

If it's normal swirls and light scratches you could probably get results beyond your exceptions with HD Speed, which is #2 on the cut scale. Plus it's an AIO, and the sealant is pretty darn good!

M205 should be fine, but it is Micro Abrasives, not diminishing abrasives, thus do not stay on one area too long. You can also rejuvenate the product on the pad with water instead of having to add more product.

You should do a very small test spot first, with 2 or 3 section passes, wipe and look at the results.

Upload some pics when you can

DRO220
07-08-2015, 12:00 PM
I know the 205 with MF pad will cut a tiny bit and that's what I'm trying to achieve. Then, I'm hoping for a beautiful finish. What do you guys think? Thanks so much.

I'm just a weekend warrior, but I have used the KB method with 205 and a mf cutting pad and I would caution you to be careful with this combo if clear coat thickness is a concern. It cuts alot more than 205 and foam. I used it on a 2008 Toyota, and it cut a surprising amount, not as much as when I use M101 and foam pads, but not too far off.

It finished the same fantastic way 205 does with foam.

conman1395
07-08-2015, 12:21 PM
It's not gonna be millimeters (mm). 3.5 mm would be a TON of paint. Are you talking mils or microns?

zmcgovern45
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
*mil, not millimeter.... 1 mil = 25.4 microns = 0.0254 millimeters

3.4 mil = 89 microns, which is thin, but that is common with mazdas. My wife's CX-7 averages around 75-80 microns, however upon receiving it (we purchased it used), it needed extensive correction. I performed a 2 step correction process and topped with a ceramic coating and had no issues with the correction process despite the risk of the thin paint.

In your case, I would advise to start with a foam polishing pad and M205 and see if you can achieve the results you are after. If not, step up your pad and adjust your technique as needed to produce the results you need.

Proper maintenance will be critical after this initial correction process as you will want to reduce the amount of polishing needed throughout the life of the vehicle. You may consider using a glaze to maintain the car in an attempt to help hide minor defects in between polishing appointments.

-Zach

Legacykid
07-08-2015, 12:27 PM
It's not gonna be millimeters (mm). 3.5 mm would be a TON of paint. Are you talking mils or microns?

im assuming mils