PDA

View Full Version : Clear coat protective coating

jjk8205
07-08-2015, 12:17 AM
I am going to be detailing a 2010 Camero in great shape. I was just informed that it had a clear coat protective coating put on at the dealership when he bought it. So my question is what is the care of this vehicle's paint and what paint correction can you do or not do. If anything there may be light swirls if that. I haven't seen it yet. I will be calling the dealership before I start the car. Just wanted to ask to see if anyone has dealt with this issue before. Thanks.

FinishingTouchA
07-08-2015, 12:26 AM
If it's 5 years old and its been to a dealership it probably has issues. And if the "coating" (most likely zylon, a standard 6-12 month synthetic paint sealant with a fancy name) was applied in 2010 I guarantee there is nothing left, even CQF doesn't last 5 years. All I'm saying is don't get your hopes up, you probably have a huge correction project ahead of you if he's willing to spend the money.

trekkeruss
07-08-2015, 12:35 AM
Dealers sell "coatings" to make money; they charge $$$ for what amounts to (usually) a spray sealant. A few actually do apply a "nano" coating, which are more durable than a paint sealant. If you call the dealer, they may tell you that you would void the warranty given with the coating. That issue aside, you're not going to hurt the car by polishing it; working on it would be no different than working on a car that had any of the products sold by AG on the paint.

jjk8205
07-08-2015, 12:45 AM
Ok. Thanks. Without seeing the car yet I assume that it's not going to need a ton of work, but I could be wrong. I will decide on my approach when I see it. The car is emaculate. It's got that aqua blue metallic paint from 2010. Only one year with that blue. I want it to pop. He's never had paint correction done on it. Waxed yes but that's it. So I got a little pressure to do a great job. He's a co-worker and a friend.

Billy Baldone
07-08-2015, 03:50 AM
Camaro is the proper spelling. Just a pet peeve of mine.