PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Abrasive Technology

Pages : [1] 2

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 03:25 PM
This isn't an offical term, but was curious if anyone used a polish that implements both DAT and SMAT
DK Extreme Cut and Polish Angels Master Compound uses this "HAT"

Id imagine their DAT concentration is big for initial fast cut while their SMAT is Soft for best finishing ability ?

Done this way to get best of both worlds vs worst of both such as with smaller/larger DAT and Hard SMAT ?

aim4squirrels
07-07-2015, 03:35 PM
If I'm recalling correctly,

Nick one stated that Wolfgang Uber compound contained both DAT and SMAT technologies.

FUNX650
07-07-2015, 03:41 PM
Menzerna and 3D/HD both have what I've seen
called: "AAT" polishes.

Now even though each of these Brands use
different wording for the "AAT" acronym...
I'd almost bet the Farm they're both describing
the use of "Hybrid" abrasives...abrasives similar
to which you have alluded.

Bob

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 03:53 PM
From my understanding 3Ds AAT
is just a SMAT with chemical assistance

Zubair
07-07-2015, 04:00 PM
Rupes polishes are hybrid DAT/SMAT and work brilliantly as I experienced recently with my BigFoot.

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 04:13 PM
Info on AAT
AAT isn't like anything else on the market today. It can't be copied, replicated or reverse-engineered. Tunch Goren has gone to great lengths to not only create this new technology, but also to distinguish that it be in a category all by itself. In fact, its name has actually been trademarked.
it really isn't like other polishing compounds. Not even all that similar the existing products HD/3D currently offers as they're a total revamp with the addition of the chemical additive which really is a game changer. But, the abrasive package (like all 3D/HD products) is non-diminishing. Hope this helps

Only thing I dont agree with is, if it was engineered, it can ve reverse engineered lol
But I Think they have a patent on their Chemical abrasive booster to prevent this for now

This leads me to believe AAT and HAT(SMAT/DAT) are two different things

FUNX650
07-07-2015, 04:18 PM
Info on AAT

AAT isn't like anything else on the market today. It can't be copied, replicated or reverse-engineered. Tunch Goren has gone to great lengths to not only create this new technology, but also to distinguish that it be in a category all by itself.

Wait a minute now...
Don't forget about Menzerna's "AAT":
"Agglomerate Abrasive Technology"

Bob

RaskyR1
07-07-2015, 04:32 PM
Info on AAT
AAT isn't like anything else on the market today. It can't be copied, replicated or reverse-engineered. Tunch Goren has gone to great lengths to not only create this new technology, but also to distinguish that it be in a category all by itself. In fact, its name has actually been trademarked.
it really isn't like other polishing compounds. Not even all that similar the existing products HD/3D currently offers as they're a total revamp with the addition of the chemical additive which really is a game changer. But, the abrasive package (like all 3D/HD products) is non-diminishing. Hope this helps

Only thing I dont agree with is, if it was engineered, it can ve reverse engineered lol
But I Think they have a patent on their Chemical abrasive booster to prevent this for now

This leads me to believe AAT and HAT(SMAT/DAT) are two different things

I love my 3D/HD polishes but I have to wonder how much of that is marketing. Trademarking a name is one thing, but if the abrasives are so unique and new why aren't they patented as well?

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 04:54 PM
Wait a minute now...
Don't forget about Menzerna's "AAT":
"Agglomerate Abrasive Technology"

Bob
didnt know about their AAT
found a clipping off autopia

Menzerna FG400 uses, what has been described to me, as Agglomeration Abrasive Technology.

Agglomeration, according to Marian-Webster, means:
the action or process of collecting in a mass
a heap or cluster of usually disparate elements

In terms of polishing abrasives, this defines Menzerna as a diminishing abrasive polish. The primary crystal aluminum oxide abrasives are joined together in agglomerations in order to higher level of cutting action with less abrasive load (less abrasives in the compound). Friction will break the larger abrasives apart (fracturing) until you are left with the primary crystal abrasives.

Sounds like DAT with a cluster of various sized abrasives?

Def becoming an interesting thread

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 05:04 PM
I love my 3D/HD polishes but I have to wonder how much of that is marketing. Trademarking a name is one thing, but if the abrasives are so unique and new why aren't they patented as well?
Besides the companies who really knows?

3Ds is def different (not the abrasivei tself) then rest, as they use a chemical that assists the SMAT
not sure if it softens the paint or actually abraid the abrasives ?
They just label it as SMAT with Chemical booster

Mike@ShineStruck
07-07-2015, 05:16 PM
So is it safe to say we only have 3 types of Abrasive technologies? 2 which are the core for 1
SMAT
DAT
HAT combination of type 1 DAT and type 1 SMAT

Menzerna AAT is just a version DAT, utilizing variousn sized abrasives vs 1 size?
ill just label this DAT type2

3D AAT is just SMAT with Chemical assistance
Label this SMAT type 2
i could be offbase , but thats how they sound to me

FUNX650
07-07-2015, 05:49 PM
So is it safe to say we only have 3 types of Abrasive technologies? 2 which are the core for 1
SMAT
DAT
HAT combination of type 1 DAT and type 1 SMAT

Menzerna AAT is just a version DAT, utilizing variousn sized abrasives vs 1 size?
ill just label this DAT type2

3D AAT is just SMAT with Chemical assistance
Label this SMAT type 2
i could be offbase , but thats how they sound to me

I'll go as far to say that:
You are "safe" to conjecture all you want...
or, at least 'til the cows come home... :)

Bob

Bounty
07-07-2015, 08:02 PM
Menzerna and 3D/HD both have what I've seen
called: "AAT" polishes.

Now even though each of these Brands use
different wording for the "AAT" acronym...
I'd almost bet the Farm they're both describing
the use of "Hybrid" abrasives...abrasives similar
to which you have alluded.

Bob

You are correct sir...as usual. Menzerna's FG400, for example, uses an AAT abrasive type which starts off as larger clumps of aluminum-based abrasives which then break down into their smaller individual component abrasives and then remain steady-state as a non-diminshing abrasive. So definitely could be labeled "hybrid" or any other cool marketing hype term.

7.3powerstroke
07-07-2015, 08:27 PM

I've wondered that too, good point Rasky

dlc95
07-07-2015, 10:03 PM
You are correct sir...as usual. Menzerna's FG400, for example, uses an AAT abrasive type which starts off as larger clumps of aluminum-based abrasives which then break down into their smaller individual component abrasives and then remain steady-state as a non-diminshing abrasive. So definitely could be labeled "hybrid" or any other cool marketing hype term.

So, the FG400 starts as diminishing, but ends up SMAT?

That's what I though I read from a Todd Helme chart too.