PDA

View Full Version : Detailing my personal engine.

MikeTaylor57
07-07-2015, 02:59 PM
I have a 2003 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3 litre Vortec. I have all of the necessary goodies as far as cleaning brushes and product s from Autogeek. My question is on prep and waterproofing. I have also printed off the prep article showing general items to saran wrap and foil. I was looking at my engine last night and noticed an electrical connector and maybe a coil on top of the valve cover for each cylinder. What have you done in the past with this particular setup to waterproof before starting, any tips on any other items I need to be careful with would be greatly appreciated. This will be my first engine, I don't want to screw it up. thanks in advance for anyones help. Mike.Feed back pleaseFeed back pleaseFeed back please

Mike Phillips
07-07-2015, 03:28 PM
In 10 days we'll be going over how to safely detail this engine compartment at our 3-day detailing boot camp class.

2002 Chevy Avalanche

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/watermark.php?file=96745

We'll be taking pictures of the process.

:)

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-07-2015, 04:07 PM
I have a 2003 Chevy Z71 with the 5.3 litre Vortec. I have all of the necessary goodies as far as cleaning brushes and product s from Autogeek. My question is on prep and waterproofing. I have also printed off the prep article showing general items to saran wrap and foil.

Personally when I am doing engine bays I will generally use just the hose without a pressure washer.

Personally when I am using this method I don't prep anything or cover anything. Everything under the hood is waterproof. Just don't get carried away and spray everything down like a mad man point blank style. However for your piece of mind you can cover up various electronic parts.

Here in this write up, I cleaned up the engine bay on this vehicle with 60K miles. Granted it had a new engine put in, but it also had oil marks from when the mechanics replaced the engine.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/show-n-shine/92971-prep-sale-2010-ford-escape.html

I was looking at my engine last night and noticed an electrical connector and maybe a coil on top of the valve cover for each cylinder.

You are correct. There is a coil located on top of the valve cover. 4 on each side for a total of 8.