PDA

View Full Version : new to forum - need a shopping list for new car...

John814
09-10-2007, 01:21 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle - an 04 VW Golf R32 in blue with black leather. The car has 76k miles and is in great shape for the amount of miles it has. Only a few minor rock dings on the hood and a few marks around the wheels where I believe the owner changed over to Winter wheels/tires...
Anywho, I need some help getting my detailing setup for this new car.... So far, I was planning to use my old Zymol car wax, buy some Griot's chamois, microfibers & car wash, Zymol leather cleaner/conditioner, and 303 Aerospace for the insde and dash. Of course, clay bar the exterior...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to get this car and get it detailed ASAP!

Truls
09-10-2007, 01:35 PM
Welcome to AGol, and that Golf R32 is a sweet car..

Why not try the Guzzler if you plan buying the griots chamois, ive never tryed the griots, but the guzzler is one of the best drying tool you can get imo.

Cobra mf is well spent money if you are looking for MFs

Poorboys SS&S or the Duragloss 901 is among the best of the car shampos youll find.

Pinnacle clay works great, and dont forget pinnacle clay lube

Planning on removing some swirls, or is the car LSP ready? (zymol wax)

Im not sure how hard the CC on the golf is, but if you are going by PC the XMT line works well, the Menzerna 106ff is also a good choice but i only use it with the rotary myself, but ive seen some great results here at AGol with the PC too...

Swirls or not, you should clean the paint before applying the wax, DuraGloss 101 is my choice when it comes to paint cleaning/looks, the DG 101 and DG 105 as base for the Zymol, and you got both great protection and gloss...As far a i know there will not be a problem with the Zymol over the Dg combo, but ive never tryed it, so if others know it wont work, please tell....

Good luck, and PLEASE posts some pics of your car....

ecetim
09-10-2007, 03:25 PM
As a recent detailing newbie myself, let me share some things I realized through my several (large) orders through AG:

*Cobra MF's are nice, but buying individual MF's for specific purposes can get pricey. IMO get the 10-pack for $29.99 deal of the white MF's. One side is plush and the other more fine - great towels and one set of those will let you do a full detail on two cars, inside & out.
*If you're getting a buffer, the UDM and PC kits that include products & towels are nice, but you may want to make sure you're getting what is best for you and not just what is in the package. I got my UDM plain (no extras) and bought a separate XMT #3 & #1 package which included a couple towels, bonnets, XMT #3 & #1, and the pad cleaner/conditioner pack. If you want to go with XMT, this is a good bundle. Be warned XMT does dust a fair amount - clean up can be a pain, but the product is VERY easy to use.
*The Pinnacle conditioner & cleaner isn't necessary in the end. I use the conditioner, but I can't say that it provides any measurable benefit. The cleaner works well, but is relatively pricey. Just get down and dirty with your hands & some soap and the pads will come clean.
*DP clay is the best value, but I've noticed it will sometimes stick in random places (plenty of lube) and will marr the surface. If you're going to use a buffer after, it's not a big deal. If not, you may want to invest in a little higher class clay - I think DP is more aggressive and thus may not be as suitable for just a plain wash/clay detail.
*YOU MUST GET DP 4-in-1. This stuff is a great clay lubricant, can be used to help spice up your wash bucket, works as a QD (can't say I notice better shine, but it is useful for cleaning a surface quickly), and you can use it as a rinseless wash (read the product page for all the details). This stuff is too useful to leave off your list.
*Schmitt or Ulti-mitt are great wash mits. I'd recommend a good wash mitt as once you remove swirls from your car, you want to make sure you don't re-introduce them.
*For drying the Guzzler is great. However the small one won't do an entire vehicle, in any way shape or form. You need the Supreme to do one medium-large sedan/coupe, and it will be very damp at the end. I'd recommend the two-pack which is a good value or the Ultimate guzzler is on sale right now. If you're going to wash more than one car at a time, plan accordingly.

Welcome

supercharged
09-10-2007, 04:48 PM
I'm looking to purchase a new vehicle - an 04 VW Golf R32 in blue with black leather. The car has 76k miles and is in great shape for the amount of miles it has. Only a few minor rock dings on the hood and a few marks around the wheels where I believe the owner changed over to Winter wheels/tires...
Anywho, I need some help getting my detailing setup for this new car.... So far, I was planning to use my old Zymol car wax, buy some Griot's chamois, microfibers & car wash, Zymol leather cleaner/conditioner, and 303 Aerospace for the insde and dash. Of course, clay bar the exterior...
Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I want to get this car and get it detailed ASAP!

Zymol waxes are not durable against harsh winters (which I think you will have, since you mentioned winter tires). You might wanna get a durable sealant, like Klasse Twins, or Duragloss #105. Durablility of these sealants is around 6 months, and that's what you will need during winter time.

ScottB
09-10-2007, 04:50 PM
I rather love the Pinnacle kit thats on sale on front of AG currently. May I suggest a gander ???