PDA

View Full Version : Deep Scratch Repair

98LowRanger
07-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I am getting more interest lately in getting deep scratches repaired and was wondering what you guys TYPICALLY charge. I know it is dependent on variables like the size of the scratch and possibly the vehicles paint cost. Just looking for the average cost to repair a deep scratch (one needing touch up paint, wet sanding, etc.) that is say 6" long.

conman1395
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I usually work that at my hourly rate.

98LowRanger
07-06-2015, 11:48 AM
I usually work that at my hourly rate.

Figuring approximately 2 hours? Just looking at how to give an estimate on it. I don't have a system to mix my own paint like the Applied Colors system so I usually order the touchup paint. This typically cost me $15-$25. When I factor in my supplies (sanding discs, compound, wear on pads, etc.) and time I figure I am up to around $60 to make a profit at a hourly rate that I am happy with. Trying to gauge if this I high or not to repair 1 6" deep scratch.

conman1395
07-06-2015, 12:06 PM
A deep scratch can take a while. Sometimes I can polish out an entire door in the time it takes me to deal with a deep scratch. So it definitely can cost quite a bit, but when you fact in your time and product costs, it doesn't seem too high.

Most people are so ecstatic after I do there car and finish at 85% that they're okay with the deep scratches.

If they want deep scratches removed, then I talk with them about the time and labor involved to help them understand the process and hopefully realize that my time is money and that a deep scratch can take a lot of time (= a lot of money).

HD.Detailing
07-06-2015, 07:51 PM
it will take considerably longer than 2 hours (you have to apply paint then layer clear several coats.. let cure then wet sand and polish.. need to let the clear sit overnight)

Rsurfer
07-06-2015, 07:54 PM
it will take considerably longer than 2 hours (you have to apply paint then layer clear several coats.. let cure then wet sand and polish.. need to let the clear sit overnight)

:iagree: Never tried an Infra Red heat lamp, but that should limit the cure time a lot.

HD.Detailing
07-06-2015, 08:07 PM
:iagree: Never tried an Infra Red heat lamp, but that should limit the cure time a lot.

I never have, I'm investigating now....

medicscott
07-06-2015, 08:16 PM
I'm falling more and more in love with Dr. Colorchip. I'm on my 15th or so box and each time I get better and better with it. I used to say the heck with rock chip repair and road rash, but this system (if you are patient and don't rush will get you to 85-90% correction at 3ft away, with no risk of damaging the vehicle. You can then blend the scratch with some FG400 and a week later the paint is fully dry and unless you are the owner, will never see it again. It's an expensive system but clearly worth it in terms of the time and less risk you save.

GoodFella
07-14-2015, 12:04 PM
I have been detailing for over 12 years. I have found that charging by the hour is definitely the sort of thing you dont want to do. especially on scratch repair. You can go in and polish out a scratch in 5mins and that wouldnt make you lots of money. My point is always charge based on the job itself, your skills/worth, and the end result.
example: 6 inch deep scratch on door. Where im from it will cost anywhere from $450-$600 to paint the door(keep in mind they get what they pay for) I know i have to prep,fill in, touch up, wetsand, polish, sealant/wax(both provides more value) i also know this is a slow process if done correctly.(more time=more money), than my skill(how confident are you in your work) for a job like this i charge anywhere from $130-$200. an no i dont feel bad about charging $200. i just saved them atleast $250, kept as much of the factory paint untouched, and did one hell of a job. with that in mind i know of shops that will charge $80. as stated before, they get what they pay for. Do you want penny pinchers or do you want customers who appreciate your skill and will stay loyal to you because you take the time to do the job right and are happy to pay you for it..