PDA

View Full Version : AGO point me to a medium'ish outdoor umbrella for detailing in the sun

Pages : [1] 2

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 12:53 AM
I have one of the worst cars for detailing a Saturn Sky, one day I do plan to get a truck. But for the time being I'm suck with what I got. I have been trying to stream line my process as much as possible. So far:

ditched the 3 gallon bucks I used for rinseless, and went with a Kwazar 1 liter sprayers for waterless. I know waterless isn't always idea, but I pre-soak and use a load of towels if needed.
If a car's really bad I break out the bucket still.

ditched my big unruly shop-vac and bought a Metro Vac & Blo (the small one) with the carrying case today.

Keep all my chemicals and brushes in an Adam's large detailing bag. I have about 14 16oz bottles, a bunch of MF's and all my Wheel Woolies + other brushes.

I live in So Cal and it's getting hot and only will get hotter. I don't have the trunk space for any sort of canopy I've been able to find. I looked just to look but didn't really expect to find anything that would work. Anyways, I figured hay I could get one of those outdoor patio umbrellas with a metal base. I know a canopy is better in every way, but I have so little space + even a medium umbrella should work better than nothing.

According to the specs I found I have 43" x 7" to work with at the widest point. There's also another 22" x 8" right below the widest point where I could put a base. (maybe, I think lol)

I know I'm really pushing it here, but I just invested in a bunch of new chemicals and dropped 3 bills on a vacuum and 50' 12/3 extension cord. I want to get my detailing business off the ground offically. And hopefully be able to save up and get a truck before the years over. I could only detail early in the morning or towards the evening but I'd like to be able to not have to work around the sun. I know there isn't any way in hell a 9 foot umbrella, even collapsed will fit. I found a few 6' where the size is just a few inches above 43" long. If anyone here details with an umbrella I'M ALL EARS.

here's a drawing of my trunk space

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/attachments/f2/7437d1160744653-trunk-dimensions-skytrunk.jpg

help? lol

Mike@ShineStruck
07-06-2015, 08:44 AM
I dont have any shadey spots in my area and you just gave me an idea to use my 10x10 canopy that i used to use for shows.
it can fit in any car..fit it in a ford maverick didnt use trunk space..just plopped it inside car
easy to setup with one person if you get the right brand..think mine is ezup?
Just drive half car in then flip car around for other end

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 08:56 AM
I dont have any shadey spots in my area and you just gave me an idea to use my 10x10 canopy that i used to use for shows.
it can fit in any car..fit it in a ford maverick didnt use trunk space..just plopped it inside car
easy to setup with one person if you get the right brand..think mine is ezup?
Just drive half car in then flip car around for other end

The specs I found on even 10x10 EZ UP's list them as:

Product Dimensions: 62 x 10 x 7.5 inches ; 50 pounds

My car has no backseat, it won't fit in the trunk. The best I could do is put it in the passenger seat with the top down and have it sticking out. Problem there is then my trunk would be rendered useless with the convertible top in it. And I wouldn't have a place to put my detailing bags. Even the 8x8 model shows 44.8" which is almost 2 inches too long to be able to fit in my trunk.

Would be lovely, but I don't see how it's do-able

Billy Baldone
07-06-2015, 09:03 AM
Where are you planning on doing this?

Billy Baldone
07-06-2015, 09:05 AM
Oh i see you are planning on going mobile. Get a tarp and some rope. Tie it to available trees and poles

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 09:20 AM
Where are you planning on doing this?

Being mobile, where ever customers need me. Probably a lot of office parking lots. I'm determined to find something to use to block sun that will fit in with my current setup. It won't be ideal, but if it works well enough to let me detail a car in 110f weather I'll be alright with it.

FUNX650
07-06-2015, 09:34 AM
Get a tarp and some rope.
Tie it to available trees

and poles
In that case, then...IMO:
Tying the tarp off to some tall Poles,
would probably work best.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1471.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/96710)

Bob

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-06-2015, 09:40 AM
My 10x10 is no bigger than a person in a front seat. How about a roof rack?

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 09:53 AM
My 10x10 is no bigger than a person in a front seat. How about a roof rack?

I have a cloth top convertible no roof rack for me. I just found a 10x10 tent that claims 40x10x10 collasped in the bag. It won't fit in my trunk as I believe the max height is a bit too tall but I could swing that in the front seat and maybe put some of the bag stuff in the trunk. I'm assuming anything larger than a small'ish mid sized car won't fit in a canopy of this size. But I'm not going to find anything that will fit in my car that will let me cover something like an Ford FX4 or an SUV. I really need a truck and a full sized canopy there's no way around that.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-06-2015, 09:55 AM
Yeah they go fairly high but not ultra high. You could create a system on blocking or upside-down five gallons to get more height.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 10:09 AM
Welp thanks for the info y'all I have a 10x10 with the sidewall set in my cart and am close to ordering. I think it should fit in my front seat fairly well, and I think with the sidewalls I should have enough room to just barely work underneath it lol.

JWilliams.RadiantDetail
07-06-2015, 04:48 PM
holy f this looks cool

E-Z UP Aero Dome | E-Z UP Direct (http://www.ezupdirect.com/product/aero-dome-a/)

But whenever I see "contact for a quote" I think of the saying "if you gotta ask how much something costs, you can't afford it" a shame because that's damn neat and if i could afford it I'd jump on it.

Ebg18t
07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Sounds like it's time to buy a car that can do what you need it to.

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-06-2015, 06:01 PM
Yeah i wouldn't want to know. A big oak is free

mcleod52
07-06-2015, 06:02 PM
In that case, then...IMO:
Tying the tarp off to some tall Poles,
would probably work best.

http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/data/500/image1471.jpg (http://www.autogeekonline.net/gallery/showphoto.php/photo/96710)

Bob

That's damn funny .. :-)