PDA

View Full Version : Good products for chrome bumpers, trim, etc?

Pages : [1] 2

CC268
07-05-2015, 09:37 PM
Hey guys,

I have decent amount of chrome on my F-150 (bumpers and grill are chrome). I have tried spray products like Mothers California Gold All Chrome Cleaner but I wasn't that impressed. Granted, the chrome already looks great as it is a brand new truck.

I am wondering if there is a good product (polish, cleaner, protectant) for chrome? I do have a Griots GG6 and every color of LC Flat pad for application if needed.

I am thinking about trying Optimum Metal Polish or Collinite 850. I have Collinite 845 but not sure if it good for chrome?

forrest@mothers
07-05-2015, 10:03 PM
Be careful of the products you use. The grill looks like chrome, but it's a thin film over plastic. It's not "real" chrome.

We made our new All-Chrome Quick-Polish to address these types of surfaces, yet it can still be used on real chrome and chrome cladding.

CC268
07-05-2015, 10:05 PM
Be careful of the products you use. The grill looks like chrome, but it's a thin film over plastic. It's not "real" chrome.

We made our new All-Chrome Quick-Polish to address these types of surfaces, yet it can still be used on real chrome and chrome cladding.

Yea definitely I am very cautious about the grill as I know it isn't metal. I have been using the All Chrome on that. Looking for a good polish that will get small waterspots out of the chrome bumpers though.

CC268
07-05-2015, 10:06 PM
I should have noted in my OP that I noticed I have some small water spots on rear chrome bumper that I had trouble getting out with just Mothers All Chrome. I am wondering if there is a good polish out there that will get those out without scratching the chrome.

conman1395
07-05-2015, 10:13 PM
I've had good success with Klasse AIO or DG 105 or DG 501.

CC268
07-05-2015, 10:49 PM
Looking for something more specific towards chrome...like Collinite 850 or Optimum Metal Polish...maybe I will just try one of those two.

davey g-force
07-06-2015, 12:02 AM
IMO - it doesn't need to be specific for chrome. Any polish / compound will work.

Did you try claying the water spots first?

Mike@ShineStruck
07-06-2015, 10:18 AM
Ive been using Gords Aluminum Polish
as its not abrasive, its a cleaner and a sealant
works well on AL and stainless
Keeps chrome protected and clean, it doesnt really add a noticable shine to chrome compared to other metal finishes

just put it in a nice spray bottle as its real liquidly

MPBGT
07-06-2015, 11:36 AM
I use regular cleaner wax on chrome that just has light water spots.

damaged442
07-06-2015, 11:38 AM
I have used Collinite 850 on the chrome on my Oldsmobiles. It gets my stamp of approval.

CC268
07-06-2015, 12:13 PM
I ordered some P21S Polishing soap...gonna see how that works...if I don't like it I will try Collinite 850

Jeremy.Hoffman
07-06-2015, 08:20 PM
I buffed my 17' aluminum boat by hand two years ago using mothers polish. It gets an unbelievable amount of comments to this day and it's a 92.

At some point I'm going to do it again using a da with wool. When it's done this time I plan to wax it also, possibly even seal it

aim4squirrels
07-06-2015, 08:24 PM
Flitz metal Polish. Awesome on chrome. Usually you can find it at ace hardware locally if you need it right away.

swanicyouth
07-06-2015, 09:43 PM

This is a good post.

You have to know what you are working on and exactly what you are trying to achieve. Plastic chrome doesn't correct well, just use something like HydroMax or Permanon. Since your truck is new, it should be in good shape.

I would like for someone to tell me the difference between "wax" and "metal wax". Until that point, I'd just use "wax" on metal bumpers. If they are stained or a mess - I'd use p21S PS.

dcjredline
07-07-2015, 12:36 AM
IMO/E the P21S soap isnt a really strong cleaner, in your case I would have chosen the P21S paste.