PDA

View Full Version : Behind door handle scratches (too rough for Menzerna 2500?)

Pages : [1] 2

Jester2893
07-05-2015, 08:34 PM
So I have some scratches behind the door handle that I can't see to correct. I have searched the forum and I have seen people using small pads/microfibers and a combination of corrective polishes. I assumed the Menzerna 2500 would take care of it with a microfiber but it doesn't seem to be doing much of anything. I'm guessing they are deeper then I thought. I was going to pick up some scratch x but I figured what I had already was more abrasive. So I'm not sure if it's a new product I should be trying or possibly trying to apply it with a 3" orange pad or something. A shame since the rest of the door came out well aside from the handle and behind the handle itself.

BMW435
07-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Why not try FG400

medicscott
07-05-2015, 08:51 PM
FG400 on a microfiber will take care of it effortlessly.

Jester2893
07-05-2015, 10:19 PM
I was hoping to avoid another product only because it seems that I will only need it for behind the door handles AND possibly my door jams, but I haven't tested that yet.

I might have to wait a few weeks till I order some more supplies in order to keep my shipping costs low if I go with the fg400. I'll definitely look into it more and do some more research on it though.

medicscott
07-05-2015, 10:22 PM
Any cut rated 7-10 compound or swirl remover will do.

Mike@DedicatedPerfection
07-06-2015, 01:55 AM
When working behind door handle's where they are regularly subjected to fingernail scratches, you will often times need the most cutting power to accomplish defect removal as you will likely be working by hand in these intricate areas.

This is where you will benefit from using a cutting compound to help rid these defects in these areas.

Billy Baldone
07-06-2015, 03:27 AM
Maybe another Geeker lives near you that has something in their arsenal that can help you out.

Zubair
07-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Meguiars Ultimate Compound

ph16
07-06-2015, 08:25 AM
You can always add a free sample of WG Uber compound if you're over the $95 mark on your next order.

Jester2893
07-06-2015, 10:19 AM
When working behind door handle's where they are regularly subjected to fingernail scratches, you will often times need the most cutting power to accomplish defect removal as you will likely be working by hand in these intricate areas.

This is where you will benefit from using a cutting compound to help rid these defects in these areas.

Thanks I think I might have to add another product to the collection : ).

Meguiars Ultimate Compound

I tried this and it didn't help, which made me think picking scratch x again wouldn't work either.

You can always add a free sample of WG Uber compound if you're over the $95 mark on your next order.

I wish I thought of this before I just placed my $200 order and thought I would be good for a bit haha.

Maybe I can pick up some meguirs m105 or something locally just for behind the handles door jams where I need the most correction.

4u2nvinmtl
07-06-2015, 10:35 AM
Good question! I have no paint left on the back side of my drivers door handle due to the previous owner (I can only assume he/she had many rings on). I was thinking of having it repainted but no one notices the back side of a door handle IMHO, but still worth detailing if your a pro but as an enthusiast I have to draw a line somewhere or I'd be outside all day wiping her down.

Good luck and I'd love to see some before and afters...

conman1395
07-06-2015, 10:48 AM
Thanks I think I might have to add another product to the collection : ).

I tried this and it didn't help, which made me think picking scratch x again wouldn't work either.

I wish I thought of this before I just placed my $200 order and thought I would be good for a bit haha.

Maybe I can pick up some meguirs m105 or something locally just for behind the handles door jams where I need the most correction.
I know if you search online you can find 8 oz bottles of M105.

Jester2893
07-06-2015, 11:15 AM
I guess I was just trying to get confirmation before I spent more money haha. At least I know my technique is correct just need something more abrasive. I'll get the 8oz bottle of some m105 because I'm sure I'll need it on an orange or white pad because I have a lot of maring on my inside door jams from the previous owner hitting with their feet all the time I suppose. I'll be sure to update everyone with some new pictures when it's all done!

Paul A.
07-06-2015, 11:46 AM
I'm also in the "most aggressive" camp on this area. I have a couple of heavy duty paint sticks i have glued an old cut up orange LC pad to to reach in behind the handle and most often use Menz. FG400 or Meg's M105. I then finish it out with a MF towel and a lighter polish to gloss it up and match the existing door panel.

I then advise the client of the extreme scratching found in those areas and advise of future care!

conman1395
07-06-2015, 11:51 AM
I guess I was just trying to get confirmation before I spent more money haha. At least I know my technique is correct just need something more abrasive. I'll get the 8oz bottle of some m105 because I'm sure I'll need it on an orange or white pad because I have a lot of maring on my inside door jams from the previous owner hitting with their feet all the time I suppose. I'll be sure to update everyone with some new pictures when it's all done!
I'd use a microfiber towel instead and then finish with foam and M205.