PDA

View Full Version : Being conservative with Iron X?

Pages : [1] 2 3

CC268
07-04-2015, 12:44 PM
Hey guys,

I am just wondering if there is a way to be more conservative with Iron X. I used an entire 1L bottle on my truck and this stuff is just too costly to be going through an entire bottle. Should I be using less of it? Maybe dilute it with water?

Any suggestions?

SYMAWD
07-04-2015, 12:52 PM
You shouldn't need more than 16oz at most unless it is extremely contaminated. You can spread it with a dampened microfiber towel to help conserve product.

A cheaper alternative that works just as well is Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner and can be diluted 1:1 for use on paint.

SYMAWD
07-04-2015, 01:00 PM
is this stuff even necessary? I've tried it on two cars and got no purple action at all. Seems great in theory, but also seems like an unnecessary expense and a waste of time.

Then those cars were not contaminated. It's actually a good thing not to see a color change because that means the car was clean but unless it is white or a very light color, you usually can't tell if there is contamination.

Ebg18t
07-04-2015, 01:42 PM
It find it depends where/how the car is used. I use Iron-X 2x/yr and see it change color every use. But the train goes past my office several times a day. My wife's car never seems to any contamination.

TheAverageMan
07-04-2015, 01:45 PM
Honestly, as a hobbiest and newb with the goal of a clean and shiny car, i debated about getting Iron X. I decided not to get it, because i feel that its a product that only a detailer can appreciate, but to the average joe looking at your car, they probably can't tell the difference.

ski2
07-04-2015, 01:51 PM
From the CarPro website:

1.-Shake the bottle.

2.-You can cover the surface with Iron X by spraying it everywhere but that can be wasteful. I recommend that you spray as needed and spread it with a small sponge or applicator to cover the entire surface. You may also consider using an atomizer type spray bottle or HVLP gun. In any case evenly cover the surfaces you wish to decontaminate. The product is strong so you don’t have to be wasteful. Just make sure it contacts the entire surface.

3.-Allow the product to dwell for 5 minutes in the shade. Do not allow it to dry in the sun. On light colored paints you will see the product dissolving ferrous particles as it turns color. On darker colored paints everything is happening in exactly the same way. It’s simply more difficult for you to view the color changing affect. I have read people saying the product works better on lighter colored cars but that is illogical and is not the case. It works the same regardless of car color.

4.-After allowing to dwell take a damp (not soaked) grout or other paint safe sponge (or other media if you prefer) and agitate the surface.

5.-Thoroughly rinse the surface.

Using this tip I use less than 8 oz to do a midsized wagon.

af90
07-04-2015, 01:58 PM
So how often are cars actually contaminated? If you need this stuff so bad and iron contamination is so deadly, yet the cars I've tried it on didn't need it.

I'm not bashing the product or the people, simply asking if its really necessary.

I only used it when taking new delivery. Most commonly on cars transported by rail or if you see obvious iron spots. It's a good product but definitely something that is more of a nicety on most vehicles. It does work very well but I am interested to see 3D's offering if the price point is better.

dcjredline
07-04-2015, 02:00 PM
Ive used it here in Upstate NY on 2 different cars and had VERY little contamination. I have also used it on some wheels and found they had tons of contamination.

Its not the products fault that the area you live in doesnt have much contamination. Is it needed for you? Probably not. What if you try a panel on the next car and SEE if there is a need for it? If not then you only wasted a little. Better to have and not need than need and not have

d33p
07-04-2015, 02:11 PM
I only bought it cause i intend to do a coating. If I was just waxing I wouldn't even bother.

AutowerxDetailing
07-04-2015, 03:19 PM
I buy it by the gallon. If you are offering coatings as a protection option you must make sure the surface is as clean as possible prior to sealing everything in.

medicscott
07-04-2015, 07:44 PM
So some cars come up empty and others look like this. The stuff just works when it needs to.

fly07sti
07-04-2015, 08:05 PM
I have switched over to the IronX paste. I use much less product and get the same results as the liquid. I do still use the liquid for wheel barrels when need though. I just did an S550 yesterday and might have used 2 ounces.

MaStA
07-04-2015, 11:31 PM
I have switched over to the IronX paste. I use much less product and get the same results as the liquid. I do still use the liquid for wheel barrels when need though. I just did an S550 yesterday and might have used 2 ounces.

I'll be trying some Adam's Deep Wheel Cleaner diluted 1:1 on my 2006 WRX STI. I've never used an iron remover before on it so we shall see how this goes. I have the world rally blue color. Will I be able to see the purple action on a darker paint? Thanks!

CC268
07-05-2015, 12:14 AM
Interesting responses...keep them coming!

frankprozzoly
07-05-2015, 08:47 AM
I use it because it makes claying easier. Contaminates usually wipe off easily after using a product like trix