PDA

View Full Version : Perplexed: DA 5.5 pad orange/green polishing

Wadey
07-04-2015, 11:11 AM
Working to correct 2-year old silver Toyota. Swirls next to undetectable in daylight, like neon at night under overhead lights.

Approach was to remove as little paint as possible. Using Megs ult. P. (I'm still a newbie w limited supply of pads/prods.) Started with WHITE Lake CCS. After several passes, checked w lights and wasn't achieving desired result. Moved to ORANGE Lake CCS cut pad. Required a few passes and some downward pressure, but it worked...

Only own one orange, so out of curiosity tried a ChemBros hex GREEN on next section. This worked in fewer passes with less downward pressure!
WHY? Can't find logic in it. Maybe I'm not considering something fundamental. Any thoughts?

ShaunD
07-04-2015, 11:58 AM
Ultimate polish isn't really a swirl remover. It's more of a glaze that fills in light defects before waxing. The pad of choice may, however, allow some light defect removal. The reasoning for the green pad performing "better" than the orange pad may have something to do with the density of the foams. The green pad may be allowing more product to stay on the face of the pad therefore allowing you to get results quicker with less required downward force. While the orange foam may be denser and absorbing more product, therefore requiring more downward force to get the product off of the pad and onto the paint to work. Have you inspected your results under said overhead lighting at night? I believe the next consumer grade product by Meg's for light swirl/scratch removal is SwirlX then ScratchX. I'm not sure if SwirlX has the glazing properties of UP but the description states it removes swirls so it may perform better than UP and actual remove light defects.

Ebg18t
07-04-2015, 01:03 PM
You will need more than just Meg Ultimate Polish to remove swirls.